slo’s THURSDAY 2/8 poll - National Girls & Women in Sports Day⚽️🏀🏈⚾️🥎🎾🏐🏉

Female Athletes - Are you one? Do u have one in the family? Do u or family member still play? (m.c)

• I am a female athlete

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I have a wife that’s a female athlete

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I have a daughter(s) that’s a female athlete

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • I have a granddaughter(s) that’s a female athlete

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a mom, or another family member, that’s a female athlete

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Myself and/or family member still plays

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Myself and/or family member no longer plays

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • I am not a female athlete

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • I have no female athletes in the family

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
I played Little League girls softball, and also in junior and senior high, plus intramurals in college. Also two years of HS field hockey.

I played tennis recreationally for many years but had to give it up because my knees couldn’t handle it anymore.

Older DD played on the soccer teams in HS and her college, plus some indoor soccer too.

I played softball and basketball in jr high, softball in high school (1970's), tennis for fun for many years. My older sisters were jealous because they never had the opportunity to play sports in school. I played lots of intramurals in college - soccer, innertube water polo, flag football, racquetball

My DD1 played soccer when young, softball from 4th grade on, and field hockey in HS. She found Ultimate (frisbee) in college and still plays on alumni teams.

DD2 played a lot of sports, stuck to field hockey and lacrosse in HS and D3 lacrosse for 2 years in college. She is currently involved in biking, rock climbing, and acroyoga.

Soccer player for 30+ years now...currently taking a break due to some heart concerns, but hoping to be back on the pitch soon enough!
I also played basketball, softball, and ran track
My sister did basketball, volleyball, and ran track
My mom was a softball and field hockey player
My daughter played soccer and volleyball
Lots of strong lady athletes in my life 💜

Never played any sport. Only girl with 5 older brothers, they were in every sport so Mama was determined I was going to be a girly girl. I'm not very coordinated either so it worked out well.

Back in her earlier school days, Natalie did some volleyball, softball and basketball. Once at high school, her shorter size pretty much did her in with the higher level of competitiveness. She did do quite a number of years in gymnastics.

I do not consider myself an athlete. I swam for several years and had one season of rec softball, but nothing competitive. My mom is an athlete. She swam competitively, played field hockey, plays tennis and pickleball, and her career/college degree involved PE/team coaching (in addition to teaching classroom science). DD17 doesn't see herself as an athlete, but she was in gymnastics for a year and played softball for about 8.5 years... including some local select ball and 2 years on the high school JV team. DD15 is super athletic. She had a year of gymnastics before shifting to softball during preschool. She began playing travel ball in 4th grade. During 7th grade (the first year they allow school team sports- no softball until high school), she was on the A teams for volleyball and basketball, she earned several running slots on their track team, and was a starting defender on their soccer team...while also playing travel softball outside of school. It was too much for her body, so she shifted to strength and conditioning at school during 8th grade while continuing travel ball. She's now in her 11th year of playing softball, she's a freshman in high school and just made the varsity team. The goal is to play college ball at a school with a solid undergrad pathway into her advanced degree/career goals.

Father of twin daughters who were/are athletes. Played both club/AAU basketball and club soccer as youths. Played both sports in high school. Both played soccer in college, one at D1 level and the other at a very high D2 level. Started all four years. The one at D1 school then coached college soccer for 7 years.

We have a promising one coming up! Five-year-old DGD is participating in all the seasonal sports, plus tennis lessons, and that little one shows heart in all her play. She really goes for it. Fun to watch.

DD25 ran track, medaled a couple of times at State, could have run D3 in college but decided it was time for the pain to be done.

DD22 played soccer 2nd grade through HS. Didn't consider herself very sporty, but now that she's in parks & rec it will probably be to her benefit that she knows soccer.

DW used to run and played softball and tennis. Now she plays golf and pickleball, and we hike.

DD never really got into sports. She tried soccer a long time ago, but it wasn't her thing.

My daughter played soccer and was a scholarship player in college. She is married now with two boys but she helps coach my sons oldest daughters (her niece obviously) U8 soccer team.

I have two daughters. One plays lacrosse in college for a D3 in Oregon (go Boxers!). The younger (10yo) has switched to lacrosse exclusively now (go Mad Dogs!). I coached both on their respective soccer teams as long as they kept playing - but those days are now sadly over.

There is nothing athletic about me in any way, shape, or form. When I was in high school (early 1970s), I don't think we even had girls teams. There was after school intramurals, but that's about it. I remember playing basketball for a little bit, and staying after school for gymnastics in the winter, but none of those was competitive or very high-level.

If dance counts, DD is a JOCK. She is a dancer, has been dancing since she was 4 years old. Every year, she took more and more classes. By high school, she was in the dance studio 5 days a week, for 4 hours a day, and usually had rehearsals (2-6 hours, depending on the time of year) at least one day, and sometimes both days, on the weekend. She trained pretty seriously throughout high school and college; her primary ballet teacher had trained with/danced for George Balanchine and then Robert Joffrey, so we were confident in her training. (If you don't know ballet, those are just names, but IYKYK...). For ten years she was part of a touring ballet company as a dancer, choreographer, and ballet mistress, and was a soloist with a second ballet company. She's also taught ballet, pointe, and lyrical dance and is a pretty decent choreographer. Between covid and grad school, she hasn't seriously danced for a few years, but has just gone back to training this month- so psyched that I'll get to see her dance again!

I was not very athletic—did play a little bit of softball as a kid, but batting and running were my strengths, fielding was my downfall. I used to recite prayers in my head while I was in the outfield praying that the ball wouldn’t be hit to me.

My girls all played volleyball. DD#3 is still playing. She plays in high school and on a club team. She’d like to play in college and is in the recruiting process now. She also played soccer for many years and lacrosse. She was good at all of them, but loves volleyball the most.

I was like the Tasmanian Devil at volleyball when I was in middle school. As I got older, my focus and ability seemed to dwindle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter