slo’s THURSDAY 12/7 poll - Weather Station (for the home)

Weather Station (at home) - Do you have one & are you interested in weather?

• I love knowing about the current weather

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I like knowing about the current weather

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • I’m somewhat interested about the current weather

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • It doesn’t matter to me about the current weather - it is what it is

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • I have a weather station

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I do not have a weather station

Votes: 54 70.1%
  • I want a weather station

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I do not want a weather station

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • I never knew you could buy a weather station for the home

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Weather Stations at home are a great way to know what’s going on outside. Some of them are great with telling you what’s going on inside too. If you know someone that enjoys keeping up with the weather, a weather station would be a great holiday gift for them.

Are you someone interested with weather?
Do you have a weather station at home?
(multiple choice)

*If you are someone that finds weather interesting, if you visit Chicago, go to The Museum of Science and Industry - they have an area of the museum that’s only about weather - it is incredibly interesting. Since we live close, we’ve seen it several times and it never gets old.

For Me……We’ve had a weather station here for a long time. At one time, we had two of them (one was my DD25s - she was very interested with weather - we honestly thought she’d go to school for Meteorology, but that did not happen). My DH enjoys having one and I enjoy looking at the monitor too. It’s the first thing I look at every morning in the winter to see the temp outside (I live in northern Indiana - I gotta prepare myself for going out in the cold - LOL). When the day comes that it doesn’t work anymore, it will quickly be replaced - that’s how much we like it.

IMG_1432.jpeg

I check the weather all the time and have three weather apps on my cellphone. I have a rain gauge but not a weather station. I like to know how much rain fell but I depend on the weather apps for the rest of the information. :)

My family would call me a weartherholic. I check weather constantly even down to the dew point. I study low and high pressure systems. I had teachers in the past come to me and ask about the certainty of snow days! I was always 50/50 just like a real weatherperson! :teeth:

My DH will watch the weather channel/accuweather for hours when we have snow coming. Like watching will change the weather. And usually our snow is a few inches. If we had another big storm (over 15 or more inches) , he would never leave the family room. If we lived in a place that had feet of snow as a norm, his head would explode.

But normal days, check in now and again over the course of the day.

Me, I'm more concerned with ice issues. Or which is the better day to go grocery shopping. Of course a non rainy day is better.

I'm with @PollyannaMom, I have an atomic clock in the living room that shows the outside temperature and a couple of Google devices that show me the outside temp but nothing that shows me the humidity, windspeed or rain amount.
My FIL has all of that on his station and the only thing I ever looked at while staying there was the temp.

Don't have a home weather station, not sure what good it would be. You can't predict the weather by looking at current conditions. I want to know if there is some major storm approaching in the next couple of days. With all of the variables that can impact the weather, much beyond 2-3 days in the future is never very accurate.

Weather channel lately makes every weather event seem like some sort of catastrophic storm to get more viewers to watch. Local radar on a weather app is the most reliable I have found to see an approaching storm.

I have an electronic indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe outside, so I can see the temp and humidity outside and inside (like this one). I don't feel the need for a full on weather station. I mostly just need to know what coat to wear any given day or if it's flip flop weather (I'll wear them if it's above 50F).

I'm a weather nerd. My weather station sits on my desk. The sensor is out back. I don't have the anemometer but wish i did. I also have one in the RV. The sensor is on a string and I hang it outside when we are setting up.

We have a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer that also tells us the humidity level. I find it helpful because the outdoor temps at our house are usually cooler than what is reported on the weather apps. A weather station looks fascinating. Santa might be putting one under the tree this year! :ssst: Are there certain brands that are more reliable than others? Thank you Sandy for this topic today.

My dad has dual degrees in engineering and meteorology at the BS and MS levels. He dabbled in being a meteorologist and picked up some weatherman gigs early on before finding better work in engineering. He has a weather station...as well as a nice collection of weather gadgets. The prettiest are the Galileo thermometers, but the barometer collection was always "fun" when a storm was approaching. While we all follow Mike's Weather Page/Spaghetti Models, my dad also has some of his own subscriptions to his favorite weather sources so we can get regular updates on the GFS vs. European models. The Weather Channel is ALWAYS on in their home. He was very excited to learn that our streaming service picked it up so he can watch at our house. Just like he was all excited when some TWC people moved over to a Miami station for weather. Growing up, before cable, I remember he had a Radio Shack weather cube that was constantly on. Did anyone else have one? (Pic Below)

When it comes to weather apps, my dad clued me in to Weather Underground. They use the National Weather Service data as well as over two hundred thousand personal weather stations for their data. So, if I want weather down the block, I can see my neighbor's station data. So, I don't have a weather station, but I can rely on others!

Speaking of current weather, people will often ask me "what does dad think?" when we've got a major weather system approaching our area. I follow along, but they want his opinion...not mine! 🤣 My dad also likes "experiencing" the weather, but not quite at the storm chaser level. We all knew to try and SAFELY grab some hail samples if severe weather was going over our home. My mom still has a dented up pot from the massive hail that fell around our home in the 1974 Super Outbreak of tornadoes (lived in OH at the time). Before he sold his boat, I used to get a pretty steady diet of waterspout pics from what they spotted off the FL coast while heading in to avoid storms.

OK...probably more weather background than you needed!

1701957496986.png

I'm a meteorologist, so naturally, I voted for I love knowing about the current weather.

As far as a home weather station goes, we have one, but it is broken. I would like to get another one, but at the same time, there really isn't anywhere on my property where I could put it where it would be sited correctly. I would like to have readings close to what would be "official" (like they use at official NWS airport stations), but I probably couldn't get that at my home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter