slo’s THURSDAY 1/11 poll - Private Lessons

Private Lessons - Have you taken any? When? Do you use what you learned today? (m.c.)

• Yes - I took private lessons once

Votes: 40 51.3%
  • Yes - I take private lessons now

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No - I never took private lessons

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • I took them as a child (under 21)

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • I took them as a young adult (21-35)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • I took them as middle age adult (36-60)

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I took them as a older adult (60 and older)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use what I learned today

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • I do not use what I learned today

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
We never had money for anything like that. My son took guitar lessons and drivers training.

No. My siblings and I all learned to play instruments in school, but private lessons would be unaffordable for my parents.

I answered "no", but now that I think about it that is not technically true. DW and I went on a ski trip before kids and it included lessons. I didn't really need the lessons, but I used it as an opportunity to tour the mountain with a snowboard instructor for the week. Since I was at a higher level than anyone else by a good margin, that ended up being a "private lesson" - really just the two of us going riding each day. Good times.

Six years of piano lessons through sophomore year of high school. I wasn't as good as you think I would be after six years. No natural talent there and I didn't practice enough.

But, it did teach me to sight read well which helped me a lot with voice, choir, solo singing, etc. and I did that for years.

I took private piano lessons. Teacher came to the house once a week, then she decided that she would only do lessons in her home, so I took private lessons at her house. About age 6 to 12. Moved the piano to my house from my parents house and both my kids took private lessons at my house. Still have the piano, but haven't played it in years and the kids are grown up and out of the house. I would give it to my son for my Granddaughters to use, but they live 400 miles away and to be honest, they could pick one up for free where the live. You can't give away a used piano it seems unless it is some $15,000 fancy piano. Facebook market place if full of free pianos.

I took them for guitar for about two years. I learned a lot, but never made a career in music. It's just a fun hobby every now and then.

I also took them for SAT/ACT reading in the hopes I would get a better scholarship. I did a little better on the test.

Piano lessons up until high school. Also took Junior Cotillion (ballroom dancing) around junior high school.

Tap dancing classes at the Y as an adult for a number of years.

I took private piano lessons from about 1st or 2nd grade up until some time in high school but I was not very good and did not enjoy practicing. When I was in elementary school I took group ballet and tap and was awful.

I don’t think I ever had any private lessons that I can recall.

DH took accordion lessons with his siblings, and private scuba diving lessons as a teen. Before he went to college as an adult (mid 30s) he did private tutoring sessions in order to get up to speed on college test taking and paper writing (which was super helpful).

Both of my kids did private guitar lessons.

DS had a few private pitching lessons, now he teaches it himself. He also teaches golf, primarily to friends who want to learn to play (and does it for free, or lunch at the course). He is also finishing up his private pilot’s license.

I’m with you, Slo, so much old equipment around - shoes, bags, bats, helmets, uniforms, etc. Fortunately we had a young neighbor who made use of a lot of those.

I don’t think I ever had any private lessons that I can recall.

DH took accordion lessons with his siblings, and private scuba diving lessons as a teen. Before he went to college as an adult (mid 30s) he did private tutoring sessions in order to get up to speed on college test taking and paper writing (which was super helpful).

Both of my kids did private guitar lessons.

DS had a few private pitching lessons, now he teaches it himself. He also teaches golf, primarily to friends who want to learn to play (and does it for free, or lunch at the course). He is also finishing up his private pilot’s license.

I’m with you, Slo, so much old equipment around - shoes, bags, bats, helmets, uniforms, etc. Fortunately we had a young neighbor who made use of a lot of those.
Does your hubs still play the accordion? I've been looking to take it up. Is it hard?

Does your hubs still play the accordion? I've been looking to take it up. Is it hard?
No, he doesn’t, and he can‘t play. Never really picked it up. It wasn’t something he wanted to do - he was made to do it, lol.

I am blown away watching people who can really plan an instrument well. So nice when people are given the opportunity to learn. I hope you can find somewhere to sign up for lessons. Seems like it would be fun!

I took piano lessons for many years as a child and teen in my piano teacher’s home.

I also took group dance classes as a child and young adult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter