• 71 or older

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wasn’t born yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
What was your age on 9-11-2001?

Please take a moment today to help your child, or others, to reflect on 9/11. Help them understand how the lives that were lost in the Twin Towers were people like you and me. That the first responders that lost their lives, or are suffering today, showed what true sacrifice, true unselfishness and true courage is. How our nation came together and showed patriotism like I’ve never seen before and sadly I haven’t seen since. Our children need to understand what today is about so when we are gone they can continue reflecting and teaching their children, to prevent today from becoming a distant memory/historical event that’s rarely talked about.

For Me….29
DH - 30
DD - 3
DD - not born yet

It doesn’t feel like yesterday, but I remember it like yesterday

My husband and I are the same ages as you and yours.

Our son was <1 but he wasn't home with us yet. We adopted him from Russia. We were expecting a call with our court date/travel arrangements at any second. We expected to have him home by his first birthday (at the end of September), but 9/11 definitely changed the timeline. We missed his birthday, but we were able to go get him in mid-October (and were grateful to do that. For a while, we weren't sure it would happen at all. We flew through JFK and took off at night. Even a month later, ground zero was still smoldering.)

Our daughter wasn't born yet.

I also remember it like yesterday. I was at work and after news of the first plane came out, we all crowded into our on-site fitness center because there were TVs in there. I remember thinking "What a horrible mistake! I wonder if the pilot had a medical problem. How else could this have happened?" when we watched the second plane hit live.

Last edited:
DH and I were 30, and DS not quite one. He's never known a world that wasn't "post 9/11".

When the sky is a certain color, I still call it "September 11th Blue".

My town's police and fire departments are holding a ceremony this morning, and our "Sounds of the Seasons" music channel (the one that has Christmas music in December, etc.) has patriotic music on.

I just finished reading a book called "Nine, Ten: a September 11 Story" by Nora Raleigh Baskin. It's aimed at young people and was a quick read, but a good one. It follows four middle schoolers from different parts of the country, in the the two days leading up to 9/11 and on the day itself, with a small epilogue on the one-year anniversary.

Last edited:
I was 35 that year and remember most everything that happened that day.

47 and remember it well
Both my children were in college, so they are well aware

I was 27, DS was 6 and in 1st grade. The school allowed parents to go pick up the children early, but I was working in a small local bank who decided to stay open after the Federal Reserve closed because they didn't want to "scare the customers". We had 1 customer that day after the world knew what was happening, and it was an elderly man who wanted to make sure his money was safe.

I was 27. At work that day. I remember everything that happened in our office vividly; where we were, what we said, my coworkers' expressions, all of it. I cannot believe that it's been 20 years.

My son was born in August 2015, and he knows that "something really, really bad happened" that day, but not the specifics (I admit that I don't want him to be scared, or "learn to hate," anything like that...I don't really have the right words to say what I mean in that regard). But last summer, our town's library did a scavenger hunt for the kids, and one of the clues led to the fire department where we have 2 beams from the Towers displayed, along with a small memorial to all 3 locations. It was my first time seeing it and I cried. My son thought about it for a minute, and said, "Mommy, did monsters make the buildings fall down?" I thought those were the perfect words for it..."Yes. Monsters did indeed make the buildings fall down."

I was 31 and DH was 35. No children yet. It was 5 days before our wedding.

I was 23. I was in grad school and driving to the first day of my clinical internship. I heard them talking about it on Howard Stern on the radio in the car. I wasn’t married and I didn’t have kids yet.
I just asked my 11 year old son what he knows about Sept 11 and surprisingly he knew a lot of details. I guess schools are going a good job with that one.

What was your age on 9-11-2001?

Please take a moment today to help your child, or others, to reflect on 9/11. Help them understand how the lives that were lost in the Twin Towers were people like you and me. That the first responders that lost their lives, or are suffering today, showed what true sacrifice, true unselfishness and true courage is. How our nation came together and showed patriotism like I’ve never seen before and sadly I haven’t seen since. Our children need to understand what today is about so when we are gone they can continue reflecting and teaching their children, to prevent today from becoming a distant memory/historical event that’s rarely talked about.

For Me….29
DH - 30
DD - 3
DD - not born yet

It doesn’t feel like yesterday, but I remember it like yesterday
Don’t think posters need reminded on how to and what to teach their children. Especially on the dis.

Some things you just don’t forget and this is one of them - I said it when it happened it will change our world forever
I worked with people in NY and it is still heartbreaking to this day the pain and suffering those people and their families went /go through
I watch all the specials every year and still cry
Murder in the name of religion - I don’t believe God would approve
The only beauty in this horrible situation was the way people came together not just people here in the US but Canada (helped keep people stranded when flights were grounded) and all over - other Countries stood by us and helped
I wish people would retain that feeling of we are in things together and work together now
I was 35 - we were sent Home from work DH his job was business as usual - my kids 8 and 15 school business as usual
I still explain and talk about this every year and I work at a job now that helps veterans from the war that came after this
I wish you all peace and blessing today’s as I know a lot of you are suffering today ❤️

Don’t think posters need reminded on how to and what to teach their children. Especially on the dis.

I was going to ignore this, but I just can’t….

Being the wife of a retired volunteer firefighter I feel compelled to ask people to help others, especially helping children, to take time to really reflect on 9-11. If I had any say, which I don’t of course, I would make 9-11 a federal holiday to remember the lives lost, the sacrifices others made and etc.

If my post upset you in any way, then I encourage you to dismiss what I wrote and move on with your day. These polls I do are meant to be a fun/goofy thing. Yes, I wrote something a little more serious today, but to turn what I wrote into something to scold me on is uncalled for and unnecessary. I will never be sorry for asking people to help others remember 9-11.

Wonderful thoughts, Sandy.

I was 57, Marie 54, Vince 23, Natalie 20.

Marie and I were planning on celebrating our 30 anniversary that evening with a nice dinner out at our favorite celebrating-special-days restaurant. We did celebrate it, one year later, on our 31st.

Vince was just starting his career as a firefighter/paramedic. He was getting ready in the morning for one of his early-in-his-career days at the department. I was up, watching the news on the TV as usual. When the first news came on about the Trade Center, I called Vince out of the bathroom, telling him there was some sort of a fire going on and he might be interested in seeing it.

Natalie was getting ready in the morning to go to her classes at a local college.

A few minutes later, the second tower got hit....................................................................................

And the day, the weeks, the months, the years went on, never the same from those moments on. So much etched into our individual and collective minds. All our lives, everybody's lives, changed that day, forever.

Among the thousands killed that day were 412 first responders...343 FDNY firefighters, 37 Port Authority police, 23 NYPD police, 8 private company paramedics, 3 New York State police, 1 NY Fire Patrol officer. Thank you for giving your last measures for others.

I was 39. My husband was 46 and had already left for work that day. I was at home watching the Today show and our 18 year old son was home too.

I’m as old as I am, 🙂.
My children are well aware of what happened on this day twenty years ago; DGD wasn’t even born. Didn’t feel comfortable commemorating the day until last year so DGD learned and continues to learn about it from other sources.

I was 41, getting ready to drop my 4 year old son off at his preschool while on my way to my school where I actually still teach.

I remember faculty/staff gathered in the office wondering out loud "what do we tell our kids?" While we were all in states of disbelief and shock, we knew we had to remain calm. Our principal's daughter was in New York and he waited hours before he heard from her.

We closed the library and had a large TV on throughout the day for staff during lunch/breaks.

I was 33 and had 4 small children (they are all RN’s, active military and police now, so they are very aware of 9/11). As an active military and first responder family, it forever changed the course of our lives.

In 20-30 age group response.

I was active duty at the time so some things remembered changed that day forward, also DH was active then, still is. A brother worked, still works, in NYC for a paper’s pressroom there, remember being worried about him, trying to get hold of him to see if he was ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter