slo’s MONDAY 4/8 poll - Solar Eclipse ☀️🌕😎

Solar Eclipse - Are you seeing this today and/or have you seen one in the past? (m.c.)

• I’m seeing the 4/8/24 solar eclipse

Votes: 64 58.2%
  • I did see the 4/8/24 solar eclipse (for those participating after the eclipse is over)

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I’m not seeing the solar eclipse on 4/8/24

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • I can see the solar eclipse from where I live

Votes: 67 60.9%
  • I’m making a special trip to see the solar eclipse

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • I’ve seen a solar eclipse in the recent past (in the 2000s)

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • I’ve seen a solar eclipse a long time ago

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • I’ve never seen a solar eclipse

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Happy Eclipse Day to all those who are able to experience this.
For all those seeing today’s eclipse, remember to wear your special glasses and have fun.

Are you going to see today’s solar eclipse?
Have you seen one in the past?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..I have my glasses ready, and my boss and I will watch the eclipse today. It will be a partial eclipse by me, which is the Chicagoland area. The last solar eclipse was on my DD20’s birthday in 2017, which was very cool. Picture from 2017 ⬇️ I love this picture!

IMG_1128.jpeg

Great picture @slo! I’ve got my glasses ready and a little filter thing for my phone. I’ll be watching the eclipse from my backyard. I work from home, so I’ll take a break this afternoon and step outside. I am in the Cleveland area and in the path of totality. I’m looking forward to it.

I’ll be driving so I really won’t be looking at it.

Reactions: slo

We are in FL so we have "partial visibility" which probably means none. We didn't buy glasses. I'm not expecting much!

The eclipse, what we can see from here, will be during my drive home from work, so not going to stop and go look at it. Traffic is bad enough as it is (D.C).

Where I live is at 99.3% of totality. I wanted to drive north with DH to a friend's camp. We are science geeks so they dug out a spectrophotometer and will be taking light array data throughout the event. (and that's all I understand about it, hahaha!) However, it's my day to pick up the resident 7yo after school, at 2:45pm, which is just about when the eclipse starts here. We'll probably watch from our back deck, or from the town parking lot... wherever we can get a clear view of the sun.

Totally (pun intended) be watching it!! Got my paper plates ready and DH bought me some glasses.

and a Happy Birthday to SoccerDad. Remember that from the eclipse thread. :)
Thanks 😊

Yeah, we’re in 100% totality here. Getting some breakfast with my wife and another couple, checking out the eclipse and then the Guardians home opener. Should be a great day ☀️

I must admit I only started paying attention to this natural phenomenon in the last week or so when it seemed to start being on the news 24/7! :rolleyes: :tongue: Not that I'm not interested - I mean, I'm not interested in traveling anywhere to see it but I'll be checking it out this afternoon from MD. Evidently we are in the 90% totality. No glasses, but we do have a few welding helmets so we'll use those.

*yes, the right ones

Wear red or green to see an optical illusiion called the Purkinje effect

During the total solar eclipse, you should be able to see this phenomenon play out. Bright red clothing may appear darker and faded while blues and greens appear more vibrant.

This effect also occurs as day slowly shifts to night, especially in the twilight hours. But during the eclipse, the effect should appear even more pronounced as the shift from bright light to low light happens much more quickly, according to Jeff Horvis, an associate professor at the University of Waterloo’s School of Optometry and Vision Science.

“Things happen a little bit quicker. So you don’t really have time to adapt to all the changes in the light level,” Horvis told Global News.

Horvis recommends wearing red and green together, to see an even bigger contrast as the moon blocks out the sun during the total eclipse.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10405519/eclipse-red-green-optical-illusion-purkinje-effect/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter