slo’s MONDAY 2/5 poll - Potato Peeler vs Paring Knife 🥔

Potato Peeler or Paring Knife - What do you prefer? (m.c.)

• Potato Peeler - always

Votes: 74 66.7%
  • Paring Knife - always

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • I use both - potato peeler more

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I use both - paring knife more

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I use both - equally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use another kitchen tool, or gadget, not mentioned to peel potatoes

• None of the above - I don’t peel potatoes

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • None of the above - I don’t cook

• Other - please post your answer

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
I prefer a peeler. Around Christmas, I had considered buying an apple corer that peels at the same time. I've seen people use them for potatoes, but all of the ones I found spiralize everything as well...which I didn't want. I sometimes couldn't be bothered and just opt for a more rustic style mashed potatoes with the skins included. Depending on the dish, I may also use the mandoline. While the skins stay on with it, it can slice thinly enough that it doesn't really matter.

Vegetable peeler, but they are not all created equal. I think I have three but I will wash “the good one” before I use either of the others. I don’t even know why I keep the other two!
Keep them just in case someone else offers to help peel. Yeah, that never happens at my house either.

But back to the poll, I had a peeler so old, it had it's price stamped into the handle. I had it forever and loved it. Even when it broke , I held it together with a rubberband. But alas sometime you can't go back. I got one from cutco. Cost a fortune , but works well.

But DH likes a paring knife. I know it's hard to believe, but we try to ignore that issue in order to keep the marriage intact.

I've started buying yellow gold and red potatoes you can keep the skin on. For sweet potatoes, I use a potato peeler.

Somehow we LOST our peeler over the holidays -- I'm thinking I must've wrapped up the peeler with the peelings. Just bought a SET of peelers from Amazon -- there's three different ones, plus a pick that looks like it's for maybe fruit seeds. Now I just need to figure out what peeler to use on what stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095MZF32M?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Paring knife , my mom used that and that’s what I do and find it easier.

I do have one but use it to peel my carrots.
::yes:: This, all the way. If we’re just talking about potatoes, it’s always a paring knife - I have a specific one just for that. But my peeler is vital for many other vegetables. It’s lost in the fray of my kitchen reno right now. I tried to peel an English cucumber with a knife the other day and just gave up and ate it with the skin on. :laughing:

I grew up with a paring knife, so that's just my go-to for just about everything. I do have a peeler, but I use it for carrots mainly. I only pull out my fancy apple peeler/corer when I'm canning lots of apples.

I have bad knife skills and have cut myself too many times over the years. I only use a peeler but I seldom peel a potato anyway as we like the skins. For those that use a peeler, do you peel toward you or away from you? I've always peeled away from myself but I remember my FIL peeling toward himself.

Peeler here. I can't imagine trying to peel a hard irregular shaped potato with a knife! I grew up with an Irish mother and peeled a LOT of potatoes in my life.

I peel towards me. I am quite fast peeling potatoes, apples, carrots...

I have bad knife skills and have cut myself too many times over the years. I only use a peeler but I seldom peel a potato anyway as we like the skins. For those that use a peeler, do you peel toward you or away from you? I've always peeled away from myself but I remember my FIL peeling toward himself.
Away from me, into the sink

Potato peeler here. If I used a knife I would have no fingers left.
Potatoes are nothing with a knife for me, my mom used to slice tomatoes in her hand now that scares me…lol She made it look easy too.

Peeler. We have several so when prepping a big 'ol batch of mashed potatoes for a holiday, others can help peel.:)

I guess I use it more for carrots, but find a good peeler is faster and easier for me. Once in a while potatoes or zucchini need to be peeled for a recipe too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter