slo’s MONDAY 2/26 poll - Jigsaw Puzzles 🧩

Jigsaw Puzzles - Do you enjoy them, How many pieces, What do you do with them? (m.c.)

• I enjoy working on jigsaw puzzles

Votes: 56 53.8%
  • I somewhat enjoy working on jigsaw puzzles

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • I do not enjoy working on jigsaw puzzles

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • 300 pieces or less

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • 301 - 500 pieces

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • 501 - 1000 pieces

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • 1000 pieces or more

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • I glue completed puzzles

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I return completed puzzles back to the box

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters
It's been a very, very long time since I've done a real puzzle, probably back when I was a teen, or earlier.

Those pictured here are really nice looking.

Like Steve just above, most recently, and that's even a number of years ago, did the wooden ones with the grandkids. Some even had little handles on the pieces.

We started doing jigsaw puzzles during the Covid lockdown. We like puzzles that are either 500 or 1000 pieces. My husband and I both work on the puzzles since we are both retired and have the time for it. :) We return the puzzles to the box. We have done some of the puzzles more than once.

There are puzzles we will never do again because they were so poorly made. One of the worst puzzles was a Thomas Kincaid picture of the MK castle that we bought when we were in WDW. The pieces were poorly cut, and it was hard to tell if they really fit until you had put the adjacent pictures in place. Those puzzles get donated.
Totally agree! My DH usually doesn’t do puzzles at home but when Snowbirding every year, he eats, lives and breathes puzzles. I love that he is preoccupied giving me time to go shopping, computer projects, relaxing. He is just too OCD with the set up of the puzzled pieces. Exact rows across and down and heaven forbid I would put a piece back slightly different. lol

We are only 1 hour from Disney and go often and that puzzle was one I specifically bought for him.
(He usually only does 1000 Dowdle). Dowdles ARE fantastic beautiful puzzles and the cities are so cool.

That Kincaid Magic Kingdom puzzle was just TERRIBLE. Everything about it was bad. The coloring, the pieces themselves, the quality…..everything. What a total waste of money! He will never do a Kincaid puzzle again. Ever. Only Dowdle. The BEST.

i like jigsaws, but having cats make it impossible to expect the pieces to stay put. I have been doing ”Magic Jigsaw Puzzles” on my iPad for 12 years now. A few years ago (in a vacation cottage - no cat) I decided to do a 500 piece puzzle. I got bored finding the edges and turning the pieces over and went back to the iPad.

I enjoy them. I only puzzle when I visit my parents, though. We’ll spend a couple hours at a time working on them and usually complete 2 1,000 pieces in about a week. They are addictive.

I also like to use the picture to match where a piece will go. Our process is: find edge pieces, sort by color and set aside recognizable pieces that have like an animal eye, hand, object…then we’ll start working on a the bigger focal point objects (like a cabin, or Grogu :)) and fill in background last.

1708955143701.jpeg

The boards are great! Their’s broke but slapped it back together with wood glue! Don’t know why they didn’t smooth it out 😌

We also have a set of square sorting trays similar to the yellow ones in the previous post.

I never thought about putting the edge pieces in a bag before they go back in the box, either!

And I’ll have to look for these Dowdle ones now. :)

I do like them, but I live such a transitory lifestyle, I just can't have something like that. I would almost certainly lose a piece in some hotel or timeshare somewhere.

I haven’t completed a jigsaw puzzle in many many years.

Last summer our rental beach condo had some puzzles and we worked on one during a rainy day but finished less than half.

During covid we dug out a puzzle from the top shelf of a closet and tried putting it together but our cat objected.

We used to like 3-D puzzles, like the Eiffel Tower or a Victorian house.

I love a good puzzle! The more pieces, the better!

I tried getting our kids into puzzles about 7-8 years ago, but it just never caught on. I bought a 500 piece puzzle to start them off. I think it was all Disney pins. So, it was a subject matter they liked, the pins varied enough that it didn't look like the same piece could work in 10 different places, and the piece count meant larger pieces. It was fun for them for about a week and then it just sat...to the point that dust was collecting. So, I finished the puzzle. It really ticked them off, but 1. I wanted to clean up the dust 2. I couldn't just box it up without finishing it! 🤣 When I was growing up, my mom would buy puzzles at garage sales and thrift shops. Most were in the 1000-2500 piece range. I think we had one that was a 5000. They usually had all of the pieces, so that was always nice. We'd just dump it out on the dining room table and everyone would pop by several times a day to complete what they could. We never glued/framed them.

My mom and dad both enjoyed building puzzles together but I don't remember the number of pieces. I'd imagine it was in the higher range because it took them a very long time to complete them. They really didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to them either so that might be the reason for the time as well. I don't enjoy puzzles myself though.

Love jigsaws.
Jan van Haasteren (famous Dutch jigsaw artist),
Wasgij (interesting challenges like puzzle what is happening 5 minutes or 50 years after the picture on the box),
and I have a load of the Thomas Kinkade Disney puzzles.

Biggest is 3.000 pieces

DW loves jigsaw puzzles and I always get her a 1000 piece puzzle for Christmas or her birthday.

Is there a website for sharing jigsaw puzzles among members? It seems to be a natural, but maybe there's no profit in it. :confused3

I don’t think I’ve done a jigsaw puzzle since I was a tween. Moved on to word puzzles and still stuck doing them 🙂

I love doing puzzles. Unfortunately I have two cats that have other ideas so I haven't done one in a long time. I spend most of the time trying to keep them away and constructing elaborate ways to cover the puzzle in progress so they don't destroy it.

I love doing jigsaws. It's one of the most relaxing activities. I haven't got one on the go at the moment, but have 2 or 3 lined up.

They get returned to the box and, just like @PollyannaMom , the outside pieces are kept separate in a small bag. :thumbsup2

Your seasonal ones look lovely on display, though, slo.

ETA: Some puzzles get kept, but I have donated some, including to a local nursing home. They are always really pleased to get them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter