slo’s MONDAY 11/27 poll - Book vs E-Reader 📖

Book vs E-Reader - What do you prefer? (m.c.)

• I read a lot of books

Votes: 81 58.3%
  • I read some books

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • I read very little books

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • I read no books

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I read paper books only

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I read from an e-reader only

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • I read from both

Votes: 55 39.6%
  • I do not own an e-reader, but would like to own one

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I do not own an e-reader, and I have no desire to own one

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
I loved, Loved, LOVED to read books. I learned never to start one late at night because I'd end up staying up, reading it all night, if it's really good.

Then I got botched Lasik eye surgery. Now I have a real problem reading up close, even with reading glasses, and have sharp shooter vision in which I can now read road signs a half mile away. :magnify:

It's really affected my love of reading. :sad1: I use a tablet, or my computer or my smartphone and super-enlarge the font to read now. But, it's just not the same.

:hug:

I tried an e-reader about 10 years ago but gave up on it after a few months.

I prefer the physical feel of books, holding it in my hands, turning pages, etc.

I think the kindle is still in a drawer somewhere.

I read paperback books only on vacation. I'm not a fan of ebooks. I love audio books and listen to those daily.

So many great replies so far today - thank you for participating.

I’m reading a little less these days because I’m doing puzzles when I was reading. Some of you mentioned audio books. I’m starting to think that I may give them a try. I can listen to them while working on my current puzzle (I do this at night after dinner for 45 min to an hour).

I still read when I go to bed at night - it’s one of my favorite things to do.

Not sure what the line is between "some" books and "a lot" of books, so I said "some." I'm usually reading one or listening to an audiobook, but go slowly. I'd say my breakdown is probably 60% audiobook, 35% Kindle and 5% conventional book. Currently listening to "From Strength to Strength" by Arthur Brooks, reading "The Making Of The Atomic Bomb" and have a guidebook for walking the Camino de Santiago I'm gradually working my way through.

I like to read but tend to get wrapped up in my books so I generally save reading for vacations, etc... because if I get into a book I tend to neglect other things!

I had tried reading on my tablet but I did not like it at all. I got a Kindle Paperwhite for christmas about 5 years ago (I didn't ask for it, but my mom thought I might like it.) I really didn't think I'd like reading on an e-reader since I didn't like reading on a tablet, but I really do surprisingly much. And it's so easy to check books out of the library for it... right from my couch!

I have a Nook ereader but much prefer a real book, mostly hardbound rather than paperback. Since retiring Oct 1, I've read at least 12 books. I'm in the library every few days and have a list of books I'm waiting on. When I was working and driving back and forth between our Maryland house and our NC house, I used audiobooks almost exclusively. I let my audiobooks account go in favor of real books since I'm rarely in the car for long drives anymore. I'm not one of those that turns on either music or audiobooks and does other household chores. If anything, I might listen to a 30-45 min podcast while preparing dinner.

I've been an avid reader all my life. History, Florida fiction (John D. MacDonald, Randy Wayne White, etc). Mrs. wabbott is also an avid reader, and is getting a Kindle for Christmas this year. I may try it and see if I like it.

This is one of my biggest peeves in life. People who say they don't have time to read.

I work full time and have kids and do elder care. What you choose to do in your downtime is what you choose.
People who say they don't have time to read seem to be insinuating they are so much busier then other people.
Just say I choose to do other hobbies instead of reading.
Sorry I just find myself very prickly about the "I don't have time to read" line. If you don't want to read, don't read.
It has nothing to do with other hobbies but everything to do with other responsibilities or demands on my time. That's not insinuating that I'm busier, or a good vs bad amount of busy-ness. What is going in my life in recent years takes more of my time, which leaves me with less "free" time for activities of my choosing. No judgement from me and I'm really glad you are able to find the time to read for pleasure.

Until you walk a mile in another's shoes...

Just to let you know….

With a Kindle you can choose for it to always say how much you have left in the book or chapter - it’s always in the bottom left corner. I have mine set to how much is left in the chapter. Also, your library probably allows you to check out digital books. I get only library books, which is free and so nice. The only time I buy books is if it’s something I know I’ll be reading again, so I bought all The Harry Potter, Twilight, Chronicles of Narnia and some other collections 🙂👍🏻
< Same. I read exclusively on a Kindle and nearly exclusively library books. I love not having to go to the library to get them or return them. DW buys and reads exclusively paperback books and we end up donating them a couple of times a year just to get rid of them. The Kindle is a bit of a learning curve - it does take some time to get used to reading the Kindle rather than a paper book. Once you do, it's great - no need to go anywhere to get books and you can get them any time, day or night, 24/7. You can't do that with paper books.

A couple of things I do;
As I find books that interest me, I immediately look them up in my library. If they have a copy but that title is not available, I put it on "hold". I usually have 10-15 books on hold at any given time. If it becomes available but I am not yet ready to read it, I put it back on hold and let the next person borrow it.

Once you have a book borrowed, I either put the Kindle on airplane mode or simply don't close the book until I am done reading it. Either way, that allows you to keep the book indefinitely without having to renew it like you would a paper book.

I read both print and e-books, probably about 75% e-books and 25% print. For the most part, I either borrow e-books from my library or use Amazon Prime Reading. Sometimes I use rewards to buy e-books off Google Play. I still do buy/read some print books, especially from favorite authors or series, or coffee table books about Disney, etc.

I think it was mentioned in a previous post, but I just wanted to give a shout out to the annual reading challenge thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/reading-challenge-goals-for-2023.3904936/

I have used it and previous reading challenge threads to get some good recommendations!

For those that use an e-reader do you buy most of your books or borrow from the library?
Borrow. My husband bought me my very favorite book of all time -- the one that I've read dozens of times -- with some Amazon media credit that he had, but other than that, all of my e-books come from the library.

Last edited:
Both for me. Not really interested in audiobooks.... I like buying (mostly used) books from book sales especially at the library or the little shop in the lobby of the library that sells used books. I buy them, read them and donate them back to the library "friends".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter