• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s FRIDAY 5/20 poll - Your High School Sports

What high school sport(s) did you play? (Multiple choice)

• Cheerleading or Gymnastics (please post which one)

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Soccer or Lacrosse (please post which one)

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Golf or Tennis (please post which one)

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Cross Country or Track & Field (please post which one)

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Football or Wrestling (please post which one)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Swimming

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Basketball or Volleyball (please post which one)

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Baseball or Softball (please post which one)

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I did not play a sport in high school

Votes: 48 58.5%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
With my DD18 graduating on Wednesday, I’m staying with the high school subject……

What high school sport(s) did you play?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..None
I was in the high school band
My DH was on the swim team

83D30B12-E888-404B-A980-78F6002E8C9D.png

One year of basketball my freshman year. Three years of swim team Soph-Senior years.

And tennis senior year - just because a couple buddies and I were bored that spring and the team needed guys.

None, never played sports at school at any time. Youngest 2 Kids didn't either, but my oldest son who did soccer. Marching band for me.

I did not play sports in high school. I did do dancing a couple years (not affiliated with the school).

Something changed about me between middle school and high school. In middle school I played volleyball and I was like the Tasmanian Devil at it the first year. By the last year, I don't know if I got worse, or everybody else got better and I just stayed the same. I was not a remarkable player, and lacked enthusiasm so I did not bother playing in high school. I had 0 interest in it. I WANTED to be a cheerleader my freshman year for some reason. That did not work. I hurt myself trying to do handsprings. I pulled some kind of muscle in my chest and it seriously hurt to exist for about 6 weeks. By the time I recovered from that, I no longer had any desire to pursue that endeavor.

I was a cheerleader. But I would never have considered it a sport back then. If you could do a cartwheel or splits, you were in. Many of today’s cheerleaders are on par with gymnasts.

I don’t think high school cheerleading exists in the school boards around me anymore.

Football (defensive end and tight end)
Track & Field (middle distance running and discus)

When I was in high school, sports wasn't the end-all, be-all that it is today. Sure, we had football, basketball, hockey, and baseball teams (as well as more minor, less publicized sports like golf and soccer), but the organized competitions were mainly for the boys. The girls might have had a field hockey team, but if they did, there was little recognition. Mostly, girls did cheerleading, and it was NOT considered a sport. There were after school intramural programs, and even then it was an in-house thing, where you played against other students at your school- no leagues, no organized games, etc. Sports in the USA have become more of a focus in school than education, it seems, and I don't understand why we have become so focused on "my sport," high-level competitions at young ages, etc.

I don't think girls did any sports in school......any would have been outside of school. There might have been a swim team, but if there was I didn't know anyone on it and don't remember any meets.
I did no school sports. I bowled on a bowling league. That was it

My varsity letter was in wrestling.

I love telling people that since I'm a woman and girls didn't wrestle in the '80s.

I actually was a wrestling manager with my BFF. We'd attend all of the matches, keep score. Before the match, we'd cut up the oranges and afterwards, we'd call the results into the paper.

It was a lot of fun.

No sports for me, husband did track and son did football.

I had to pick Other. I went to an arts high school-we didn't have sports teams. We had gym, where artsy kids lobbed basketballs vaguely in the direction of the hoop, but that was about it. And in the first three years of my time there we didn't even have a gym, so we had 'contract gym,' where you had to promise to do some physical activity once a week and then sign it. I used to put that I'd gone bowling. I did not go bowling.

I played basketball for one year as a freshman. I played softball all 4 years of high school. My husband was in the band all 4 years of high school. My daughter is a freshman this year and she is on the bowling team and loves it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter