slo’s FRIDAY 3/8 poll - Artichokes

Artichokes - Do you buy them and how often? (m.c.)

• I buy them

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I used to buy them

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I do not buy them

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • I buy them once or more a month

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I buy them once or more every 6 months

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I buy them about once a year

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I buy them once every couple years

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I don’t know the last time I bought them

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • I’ve never heard of artichokes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters
Happy Friday Everyone :wave:
This is my last poll until Monday 3/18 due to me going on vacation.
I’ll still be on and off The DIS, I just won’t have time for my daily poll.

Artichokes are an interesting looking fruit that eats like a vegetable. I’m curious today….

Do you buy artichokes?
If yes…..how often?
(multiple choice)

*If you buy and cook these, please post a recipe for us that have no idea what to do with them - thanks!

For Me…..I have never bought an artichoke in my adult life. I should Google what to do with them, but I never get around to it. I would like to try making and eating these at least once.

View attachment 840071
Have a terrific vacation!

I've eaten them, and maybe occasionally have bought the canned version for salads or an antipasto tray. I've never purchased, prepped, cooked, or eaten a fresh artichoke. I wouldn't even know how.

@slo, we'll miss you while you are gone, but have a wonderful time with Katie and watching her play ball (and enjoying the FL sunshine/warm weather)!

Pretty much every Italian restaurant and pizzeria here sells stuffed artichokes, no need for me to make them myself. I do have my favorites though.

I've only bought a whole one once. I'm in a camp of - it was a pain in the butt to do; won't do again.
When we buy them it's the jar or can. I'm mostly making a spinach artichoke dip with it. Eva Longoria in her cookbook has a great recipe that I loved. Lemonaise instead of regular mayo added a extra zip to it. We also would put on salads as well.

Happy Friday Everyone :wave:
This is my last poll until Monday 3/18 due to me going on vacation.
I’ll still be on and off The DIS, I just won’t have time for my daily poll.

Artichokes are an interesting looking fruit that eats like a vegetable. I’m curious today….

Do you buy artichokes?
If yes…..how often?
(multiple choice)

*If you buy and cook these, please post a recipe for us that have no idea what to do with them - thanks!

For Me…..I have never bought an artichoke in my adult life. I should Google what to do with them, but I never get around to it. I would like to try making and eating these at least once.

View attachment 840071
I'm just warning you.... there is no turning back!

https://lidiasitaly.com/recipes/stuffed-artichokes-2/

To eat them, pull off a leaf and scrape the meat off with your teeth......

We love artichokes. Most times it's the canned or a jarred variety since they were better in things like spinach artichoke dip and pasta dishes; however, I will occasionally buy fresh ones for our dinner veggie. DH and I both grew up with steamed artichokes as our once-in-a-while veggie treat. We both loved dipping the leaves in clarified butter. Not exactly the healthiest of veggie options when you add in that butter component, but it's delicious! Right now, we have a large (Costco sized) jar of marinated artichoke hearts in the fridge. They go great in this pasta salad DH makes with grilled chicken, kalamata olives, and feta.

This. And I’ve never eaten a fresh one either. The whole “squeeze the flesh out through your teeth” thing is NOT appealing. :scared:
It doesn't sound like you've eaten one that's prepared correctly..... you're missing out on the best part!

I was raised by some bougie women, so my Saturday afternoon snack with my mom was usually a steamed artichoke with a butter/worchestershire/lemon dipping sauce. As it was for HER when she was young.

I tend to stick to the marinated ones (giant jars from Costco) now, just to save time. I love them on my salads and, TBH, the marinade is a delicious salad dressing on its own :)

I've never bought an artichoke, either fresh or marinated. But I have eaten marinated artichokes somewhere that was not at home. :)

I have never bought them. Not sure that I have ever tried one - may have in take out, at someone's house or at a buffet and just don't recall.
My Mom never bought them.

We used to buy fresh ones all the time when Costco sold them at a pretty good price. I made them the same way others have mentioned - clean up all the inedible parts, roast them and then pick off the leaves, dip and eat.

They're just too expensive these days - last I looked at a grocery store, they were like $3 a piece (or more).

We have a jar of marinated hearts in the panrty, but I'm not sure why we bought it. Probably planned on making a dip or something and never ended up doing it.

I don't recall having them here. I know I don't buy them, don't think I have ever had one. If 'disguised' in some fashion, maybe I have.

Have a great trip to Florida, Sandy, enjoy your week. We'll miss you, and your fun polls. Hope Kevin is all well again. And enjoy Katie's company, and her softball games. You guys are going to have a ball.

1709909761106.png

I have tried making fresh artichokes once, didn't turn out well. I just buy out the jar now, which is fine with me as I love artichokes without the work. ;)

@slo, have a wonderful vacation! ENJOY!! :flower1:

I find them to be flavorless and don't enjoy them. Except, there is an appetizer at The Turf Club Bar & Grill at Saratoga Springs Resort. The way they prepare those artichokes are phenomenal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter