slo’s FRIDAY 2/16 poll - Birnbaum Books 📚

Birnbaum Books - Did you or Do you use them? Which one(s)? (m.c.)

• I used them in the past

Votes: 83 80.6%
  • I currently use them

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I never used them

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • I’ve read them, but haven’t been to the park(s)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The WDW book

Votes: 66 64.1%
  • The DL book

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • I’ve bought the For Kids one for my child(ren)

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • I use or used another guide book - please post which one

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When we had a Disney store in our local mall, I would buy the WDW Guide, mostly for the pictures. My "bible" was definitely the Passporter books. I carried that darn thing into the parks in my backpack, lol. All the websites as well and really enjoyed Tourguide Mike and Len's Touring Plans. I don't think I've used any books since 2010ish.

Used them & the DIS loved the books - haven’t used him in several years but if I was going to Disneyland I would definitely get one since I haven’t been

We used them in the 1980’s and early 1990’s, but they weren’t the same after Stephen Birnbaum passed away. We used to wrap the cover with clear vinyl to keep it in good condition. I think they are still around the house somewhere. We only used the WDW books.

Another Unoffical Guide user here. I even used them for other destinations but on our recent NYC trip all we could find was an outdated edition - they stopped updating them. Internet here we come - it was our only resource. Too bad; we could have really used some guidance on even the most basic; how to get from JFK to NYC. On arrival we just took an Uber, but learned the LIRR is the way to go.

Had the Birnbaum WDW book about 20 years ago, before our first trip with DS. A friend passed on a used copy and it was helpful in planning, as so much had changed since our last visit many years earlier. For subsequent trips, I borrowed several guide books from the library for WDW and Universal Orlando.

I've used them (and the Unofficial Guide) before - sometimes from the library, sometimes bought a copy. I still have the "By Kids, For Kids" version I got DS when he was five, because the back section was a trip journal they filled out. :earsboy:

I did use the WDW one back in the 1990’s. Once information was readily available online, that became my source. And probably how I wound up on here too!

My Mom loved the Birnbaum books. We would get the latest one for our trips for the first few trips.

Since the availability of the internet I haven't been buying them. I did get one at the Library for my trip with DH in 2010 and I have one in my Kindle.

Never heard of Birnbaum. My mom's employer offered memberships in the Magic Kingdom Club which offered discounts on tickets, hotels, etc and published their own Disney guide books. That is what we used.

https://yesterland.com/mkc.html

I used to get them all of the time because they were pretty much the only source of Disney World info in the early internet days. I still have them but no longer buy them because there are so many better sources of WDW info on-line.

I've never used a Birnbaum book. I remember thinking they looked more like paid advertising than anything else. I am a fan of the Unofficial Guide. I think there is a lot of humor in the writing, as well as information. I don't buy them as often anymore, now that we are at 30+ trips to Disney (and I've stopped counting), but I buy one every few years, just to see "what's new."

I preferred the Complete Disney World books over Birnbaum. But I only got them as a souvenir for our trips. They stopped publishing these several years ago. I used to get the Unofficial guide but stopped several years ago.

Years and years ago, I bought one for WDW but it was just for fun. I read it, but didn't need it so I wouldn't say I used it. I just wanted to see what it said.

I had the Birnbaum guides in the past only because they used to be a part of the vacation package, along with free transfers for Mears. As I remember, they were pretty much just cheerleaders for WDW. I started reading the Unofficial Guide, which is waaaay more unvarnished. I have to say I haven't bought a guidebook in many years; there's just too much right at my fingertips on the internet.

I had the Birnbaum guides in the past only because they used to be a part of the vacation package, along with free transfers for Mears. As I remember, they were pretty much just cheerleaders for WDW. I started reading the Unofficial Guide, which is waaaay more unvarnished. I have to say I haven't bought a guidebook in many years; there's just too much right at my fingertips on the internet.
Plus too many personal visits that I don’t learn much that I didn’t already know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter