slo’s FRIDAY 10/14 poll - High School Football Games

High School Football Games - Do you go and why? (M.C.)

• Yes - I go to high school football games

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • No - I do not go to high school football games

Votes: 70 89.7%
  • I go just for fun - I know nobody on the field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I go to support my son

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I go to support my daughter

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I go to support my nephew or niece

• I go to support my friends child

• I go because I’m the coach, high school teacher or high school employee

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I go because I’m a football player, student at the school or I’m a high school alumni

• Other - please post your answer

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters
Not sure what colour quard is ....

It's a band auxiliary group. Usually twirls flags (but sometimes it's ribbons, or rifles, or sabres, etc.) to accompany the marching band. We called it "flag corps" at my school, but color guard seems to be the preferred term these days. (Photo from the internet)

1665773185982.png

It's a band auxiliary group. Usually twirls flags (but sometimes it's ribbons, or rifles, or sabres, etc.) to accompany the marching band. We called it "flag corps" at my school, but color guard seems to be the preferred term these days. (Photo from the internet)

View attachment 710761
That does look cool. I have seen it mentioned on tv shows. Kind of like cheerleaders?

That does look cool. I have seen it mentioned on tv shows. Kind of like cheerleaders?
Haha... I think if you asked the cheerleaders *or* the color guard, they would both say "Um, no... not the same." The color guard is usually integrated with the band and a choreographed part of their show (practice together, perform together, etc), while the cheerleaders are a separate group that does their own thing. But I guess there are some similarities. They are both there, in part, to enhance the game experience for the fans.

I voted No and Other because about five years ago I went to some games because my cousin was head cheerleader. I didn't really want to go because I have zero interest in football but I also didn't want to catch flack for not going from the rest of my household. I haven't been since she graduated.

No football for me, but coincidentally I live down the street from a high school that has a good chance at a state championship. They’ve been destroying their opponents with scores like 58-0😂

Not sure what colour quard is but at least in my city high school's didn't (and don't) really have marching bands.
Yes college football isn't big here either. I've never gone to a college game as a student or staff. Don't know if they are televised at all. Maybe on a local station?
The Televised College games I am talking about are all on national networks or cable sports channels. A couple of weeks ago I counted 20 games on the channel guide on Dish network.

The Televised College games I am talking about are all on national networks or cable sports channels. A couple of weeks ago I counted 20 games on the channel guide on Dish network.
You're not going to find Canadian college football on national networks lol. - except maybe the Vanier Cup. Maybe. I have no idea.

I forgot to add, Sandy, that I hope you and DH have a great time visiting with your Katie. I know you will! :hyper2:
Thank you Dan - I’m so excited about her being home ❤️

I don't go, but I was/will be close enough to the stadium that when the atmospheric conditions are right, we can hear the cheers and can her the emotion in the commentary. Not so much the words. So basically we can sometimes hear enough to guess that they got a touchdown. And I love it. I also try to check their record from time to time. This is the school I attended as a student, and since I still live so close, I feel a connection.

I say was/will be because right now, they are in the process of building a new building. The new building is where the stadium used to be, and the old building is still being used for students. Once the new building is completely up and running, then they will tear down the current building and build the new stadium there. So in the intermediary years, they are using another school in the district for home games. But I miss hearing some of the action from the games.

Back in the Stone Age when I attended HS in South Jersey, football was played late Saturday mornings, like 10 or 11. Friday night games were unheard of. This was the norm for all HSs in the area.

I think now there is a mixture of Friday evening and Saturday morning games.

DH takes me to HS football games several times every year. Until this year it was because my step-daughter was in the band. Now that she has graduated, I guess it is just out of habit. My mother in-law is like 80 and still attends most games :rotfl2:

I don't go now but I went to them all the years my kids were in marching band.

No mention that I have seen yet of Texas. High School Football (and going to Walmart) are requirements in Texas it seems.
My FIL retired to a town of 10,000. The High School Football stadium seats 7,500.

High school teacher here. I usually go to the homecoming game and that's about it. Sometimes I'll go to senior night if I know a lot of the boys on the team.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter