slo’s FAT TUESDAY 2/13 poll - Paczkis

Paczki - Will you have one and what flavor will you have? (m.c.)

• Yes - I will eat a Paczki

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • No - I will not eat a Paczki

Votes: 66 73.3%
  • Fruit filled (a berry type)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Fruit filled (apple, prune and others)

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Custard

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Chocolate

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Cream Cheese

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fruit with cream

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vanilla

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 11 12.2%

• Total voters
Yep. Pancakes for dinner tonight. :)
We're having ours tomorrow, per the request from the resident 7yo, so we can make them heart-shaped! However, he's currently running a fever of 102 and being tested for flu (no covid) so we might have to postpone.

I don’t know where I would get one (no donut shops even sell powdered sugar donuts) but if I could I would. Just like I am making “Jambalaya” tonight. Okay it’s really only doctored up Zatarian’s but still.

Our supermarket stocked them this year. I opted for lemon over the custard and cream options. I can’t recall if we’ve had them before, but we weren’t fans. I think we’ll stick to king cake for Mardi Gras and donuts from Shipley's.

View attachment 833704

Yeah, I've had that kind and they are not usually that good. In places with large Polish populations, you would find fresh ones that would be way better. I have had some boxed ones that were half-way decent, but many that just aren't. Around here, they are mostly not great.

The dough is so much different than a doughnut or a run of the mill bismarck type pastry. At least a 'genuine' paczki is.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...erent-from-your-traditional-doughnut/3354395/

A Polish lady friend of ours gave us a few last week, I had one, custard. Marie is seeing that lady today, I know we will get some more.

For yesterday and today, some bakeries here only sell paczki, it's so busy and high demand.

https://patch.com/illinois/arlingtonheights/paczki-day-2024-where-find-paczki-near-arlington-heights

Last edited:
Never heard that term. Today is Shrove Tuesday and we'll be having pancakes, sausage, hash browns, and cinnamon rolls. Trying to eat all the gluten today for the beginning of Lent season.

Happy Eating all.

Around here they have made them stip putting the babies in the King Cakes due to potential choking hazard. They put it in the box on the side, which is way less fun.
One of our Old F*rts Coffee Group members brought a cake this morning. None left at all. Not a crumb.

I would love some - but unfortunately- can’t get them around here - 😩

We've had a bunch leading up to today - lemon, boston creme, apple cinnamon, blueberry, lemon bumbleberry, and vanilla cream. Mom's been buying weekly but wish it was just 1 or 2. Quite over them after today.

My csa had a special order option this week so I ordered from them. Today is the maple bacon with a maple buttercream filling.

Yeah, I've had that kind and they are not usually that good. In places with large Polish populations, you would find fresh ones that would be way better. I have had some boxed ones that were half-way decent, but many that just aren't. Around here, they are mostly not great.

I've heard that there are some places in the Texas Hill Country that are worth a try if we're in the area at that time of year, but I think more of the baked goods options are of German and Czech origins.

We have trouble getting them very far ahead of Mardi Gras. I had to do a special order to get some last week, as they were only getting two boxes in a day and of course, selling them quickly. I would love to be able to eat them throughout January!
DH manages our local grocery store. They make them there in the bakery. They aren't what purists would consider traditional but we like them.

The store normally gets the mix in early January and makes them until they run out of mix. They were late this year and round about the 10th I said "excuse me, sir! What is with the paczki supply!" I guess the mix was backordered or something but they have been at the store for close to a month now.

I voted yes as I would eat them if I could get them.

Unfortunately there is really nowhere around here that has heard of them, let alone make them.

I could try making them myself, but I think they are a bit more work than I want to take on.
Pretzels are hard enough.

I'll have to look for a recipe...

Edit: Hmm not too bad - (https://www.thedailymeal.com/1290415/air-fryer-polish-paczki-recipe/), but Ill have to adjust down from 20 - 20 is way to many

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter