Slinky Dog Question

SteveInOmaha

Mouseketeer
I may get labeled as blasphemous, "that guy", or a hater . . . but here goes. Is Slinky Dog Dash really THAT worth it? I'll pause a moment for you to get a towel and clean up whatever you just dropped on the floor. (winky-face thing goes here)

I understand the queue is cool, and the theming of riding in Slinky Dog is unique. But the actual experience seems at a lower "wow-level" than many others. We have been to WDW 5 times, usually about every 5 years. So when you give your responses, pretend you go as infrequently as we do. Also we are not traveling with young kids. Is Slinky Dog better than:

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train?
Tower of Terror?
Rock & Roller Coaster?
Smuggler's Run?
Rise of the Rebellion? (I know these haven't opened yet)
Flight of Passage?
Expedition Everest?

We do plan to ride it. But we just don't see ourselves getting off the ride saying, "Holy Cow!! That was one of the most amazing rides we've ever been on at Disney."

Slinky is a FUN ride.
That's one of the more important things you'd want in a place called "Toy Story Land."

(BTW, the Slinky queue is about on par with (in fact, a bit "less" than) Toy Story Mania's queue.)

Last edited:
I think it's similar to SDMT or BTMRR. I do like the bright lights at night and the theming in general. But I don't think it will be "one of the most amazing rides we've ever been on at Disney" for you either. Right now most of the hype is probably from it being the newest ride there. I personally don't think FOP is that big of a deal at all. There's probably a dozen rides I'd pick over that one and it'd be easier to get a FP too!

It's a very fun, smooth roller coaster. I like it better than 7DMT, RnRC, EE. If I could only do one between ToT and SDD, I'd have to think long and hard. FoP is a completely different kind of ride, and better than SDD in my opinion.

I may get labeled as blasphemous, "that guy", or a hater . . . but here goes. Is Slinky Dog Dash really THAT worth it? I'll pause a moment for you to get a towel and clean up whatever you just dropped on the floor. (winky-face thing goes here)

I understand the queue is cool, and the theming of riding in Slinky Dog is unique. But the actual experience seems at a lower "wow-level" than many others. We have been to WDW 5 times, usually about every 5 years. So when you give your responses, pretend you go as infrequently as we do. Also we are not traveling with young kids.

We do plan to ride it. But we just don't see ourselves getting off the ride saying, "Holy Cow!! That was one of the most amazing rides we've ever been on at Disney."
Someone who hasn't been in 5 years is exactly who should ride it and who it's the most worth it for. It's always worth it for anyone who hasn't ridden a ride to ride and learn for yourself. The only exception would be a ride that would make someone motion sick

Is Slinky Dog better more fun than:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train? YES
Tower of Terror? Not a comparison in my opinion
Rock & Roller Coaster? Yes
Flight of Passage? No
Expedition Everest? Yes

I've edited the question to fit the ride better for my answers. It's not their best coaster but it is the most fun coaster. By far and above the others. And I say this as adults who go most often without kids

I understand the queue is cool, and the theming of riding in Slinky Dog is unique. But the actual experience seems at a lower "wow-level" than many others. We have been to WDW 5 times, usually about every 5 years. So when you give your responses, pretend you go as infrequently as we do. Also we are not traveling with young kids. Is Slinky Dog better than:

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train?
Tower of Terror?
Rock & Roller Coaster?
Smuggler's Run?
Rise of the Rebellion? (I know these haven't opened yet)
Flight of Passage?
Expedition Everest?

Better than 7DMT but not as good as RnRC or EE... somewhere in the middle. It always has long lines because HS only has what, 6 attractions?

Take this with a grain of salt. I waited 75 minutes in brutal hot Florida sun with very little shade relief. Even the fans in the queue weren't working. It wasn't worth more than a 20 minute wait. But I was pretty hot and cranky by the time I got on.

Slinky Dog is fun. But no, it's not as great as the lines.

In ten years, assuming we know what's at HS, I'd predict it has on average about the 6th or 7th longest wait times at the park.

My family LOVED SDD! (Me, DH, DS8, DS5). In fact, we skipped HEA the last night we were there to have it be our last ride. It is even more fun at night.

It’s similar, but better, than SDMT. My husband and oldest son loved the view of Galaxys Edge haha.

Someone who hasn't been in 5 years is exactly who should ride it and who it's the most worth it for. It's always worth it for anyone who hasn't ridden a ride to ride and learn for yourself. The only exception would be a ride that would make someone motion sick

Is Slinky Dog better more fun than:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train? YES
Tower of Terror? Not a comparison in my opinion
Rock & Roller Coaster? Yes
Flight of Passage? No
Expedition Everest? Yes

I've edited the question to fit the ride better for my answers. It's not their best coaster but it is the most fun coaster. By far and above the others. And I say this as adults who go most often without kids

Perfect answer and just how I would describe it!

It's wayyyy more fun than I was expecting (and I was expecting it to be fun!). IMO:

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train? 100% YES
Tower of Terror? for me, yes (but not really a fair comparison, as they are totally different experiences)
Rock & Roller Coaster? equally fun
Flight of Passage? No
Expedition Everest? almost, but not quite

Haven't ridden the SW rides yet, so can't comment on those.

I think it's better than 7DMT mainly because the seats are more comfortable but they're on the same level for me. I'll ride with a FP but I'm not that stressed about it. They're both family coasters that don't really appeal much to me. I'd rather go on RNR or a dark ride. SDD has very little thrill to me and is more like a cute, short kiddie ride. I understand why it's so popular because of the wide appeal to different age groups and the popularity of the franchise. Plus, it's still new to most WDW visitors.

I love SDD. It is my favorite ride in Disney World and I like all the thrill rides. This is a neat intermediate coaster but something about it makes me love it. Last year we rode it 3 weeks after its opening....once in the daylight and once in the dark and I will say I prefer it after dark. It is special to me because my oldest son grew up with TS and TS2.

SDD is a fun ride. It will never be confused with a great thrill ride.
Its better at night and in the back.
Similar thrill level to BTMRR and 7DMT.
We ride it when we have a FP or end of the day when the line is short.
IMHO, not worth the 90 minute standby wait during the day.

IMHO, Slinky Dog is better than - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Tower of Terror, Primeval Whirl, Barnstormer and Flight of Passage (I don't even place this in the same category - FoP is more in line with Star Tours and Soarin except with extra nausea).

But Slinky Dog is not as good as Rock n Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, Space Mountain, Test Track or Big Thunder Mountain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter