Slinky Dog - ok for a ride wimp who can't do Big Thunder Mountain? UPDATE POSTED 9PM

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Here now and we have a fastpass for SDD tonight.

I'm a horrible ride wimp. I did 7DMT and hated it. Too intense for me. I did the Barnstormer the first time this trip, did not like it either, felt very intense at parts to me. My kids and DH went on Big Thunder for the first time this trip and afterwards my husband said that I would have had a heart attack on Big Thunder. I wouldn't want to go on a ride with anything as intense as Big Thunder Mountain or more intense than 7DMT.

So if I can barely tolerate the Barnstormer, and 7DMT is too much for me and Big Thunder is WAY too much for me - would SLinky Dog be too much as well?

I've heard others compare the SDD intensity comparable to Big Thunder - which is way out of my league...I'm getting nervous about tonight.

If I wimp out (do they have rider switch off that my DH could take our one kid and then use my band to do another kid), it's just the 4 of us.

I hate to let the kids down - but I wanted some honest opinions. I could do barnstormer again but not 7DMT, and no way Big Thunder Mountain.

I'm curious about the SDD intensity levels comparison.

I have a friend who said if I can handle barnstormer, I can handle SDD,

But I would not want to get on the ride with an intensity of Big a Thunder Mountsin or something more intense than 7DMT

Thanks as always for any feedback. Your friendly neighborhood ride wimp, Marina

PS - will update tonight either way

No, if you can barely handle Barnstormer and can't do 7DMT, skip it. SDD is most similar to 7DMT, just ever so slightly more "intense".

I hate to see someone skip it because it’s a really fun ride (in my opinion) and it’ll be over before you know it, but given what you describe about how you handle those types of rides, it’s probably not for you.

It’s more intense then big thunder but smoother.

Everything feels more intense the first time you ride it cause your nervous. The second and third time you become use to it and begin to love it.

7DMT felt super intense the first time I did it. I was like oh I didn’t expect that I don’t like this.

Then the next time I went and it was different. I got use to it to the point I rode it 4 times in a row cause it was fun

But if they scare you. Skip it simply because you probably won’t feel good on it.

I just rode SDD last week and you won’t like it based on what you’ve said. If you do go on it for your kids just close you eyes, I did that on Everest and it worked out ok. Good luck!

SDD is a more intense coaster than 7DMT. It's more of a "true" coaster experience with climbs and drops, fast turns, etc. We loved it, but I'm pretty sure - based on what you've said - that you would hate it.

Are there any big drops (big like 7DMT) on SDD?

As coasters go, 7DMT doesn't really have any "big drops". SDD is a bit different in that it's a launch coaster. Instead of climbing a hill slowly and then cresting it, you get launched from a stop. However, the launches are pretty gentle. It has a few drops, but nothing of note.

I hate rollercoaster type rides but like to try them once. I think both 7dmt and sdd are the same in terms of intensity. I think a huge difference on sdd is that the drops and around are open track so you see the people/ground around and below as opposed to 7dmt which has the mines/mountains surrounding it which for me makes a huge difference in visual perception of intensity. you will also see the track cars going on sdd before you get on it in a way you don't on 7dmt or btm so you can be prepared for what to expect. good luck!!

I will update tonight - I really appreciate all the feedback.

My girlfriend is here and said her 5 and 7 year olds rode it - and if I could do Barnstormer, it’s similar. That I should do it. So I’m trying to buck up (my kids really want me to go on it)!

Weirdly, this is the only ride at WDW that gives me motion sickness. Intensity is never a problem for me, so it isn't that. There's something about the compression of the drops.

Weirdly, this is the only ride at WDW that gives me motion sickness. Intensity is never a problem for me, so it isn't that. There's something about the compression of the drops.

It's that last drop at the end - I got off and immediately said there are one too many bumps in that last section!

I will update tonight - I really appreciate all the feedback.

My girlfriend is here and said her 5 and 7 year olds rode it - and if I could do Barnstormer, it’s similar. That I should do it. So I’m trying to buck up (my kids really want me to go on it)!

Grab one of Woody's "special" grown up lemonades, pound it, and then go on the ride. Liquid courage...

FWIW, based on what you have said, I would also tell you to NOT ride SDD. It's pretty intense, you go up very high, and it feels fast. You've been warned.

Hi all,

Here now and we have a fastpass for SDD tonight.

I'm a horrible ride wimp. I did 7DMT and hated it. Too intense for me. I did the Barnstormer the first time this trip, did not like it either, felt very intense at parts to me. My kids and DH went on Big Thunder for the first time this trip and afterwards my husband said that I would have had a heart attack on Big Thunder. I wouldn't want to go on a ride with anything as intense as Big Thunder Mountain or more intense than 7DMT.

So if I can barely tolerate the Barnstormer, and 7DMT is too much for me and Big Thunder is WAY too much for me - would SLinky Dog be too much as well?

I've heard others compare the SDD intensity comparable to Big Thunder - which is way out of my league...I'm getting nervous about tonight.

If I wimp out (do they have rider switch off that my DH could take our one kid and then use my band to do another kid), it's just the 4 of us.

I hate to let the kids down - but I wanted some honest opinions. I could do barnstormer again but not 7DMT, and no way Big Thunder Mountain.

I'm curious about the SDD intensity levels comparison.

I have a friend who said if I can handle barnstormer, I can handle SDD,

But I would not want to get on the ride with an intensity of Big a Thunder Mountsin or something more intense than 7DMT

Thanks as always for any feedback. Your friendly neighborhood ride wimp, Marina

PS - will update tonight either way
Skip it. I found it more intense than Big Thunder. I liked that, but it sounds like you wouldn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter