Slinky Dog Coaster for kids?

NickBCV

Mouseketeer
Hello All,

Looking to get feedback on the Slinky Dog Coaster and how it rates in terms of scariness for kids? My kids have been on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and they liked it. For those who have been on the slinky dog coaster how does it rate from an excitement factor vs SDMT?

We saw a You Tube video on it and it looks fun but some of the heights and drops looked a little more intense than SDMT.

As you know every kid is different, my 5 y/o DD is terrified of Slinky Dog. She has rode it twice and has swore it off. She loves Mine Train and Splash Mountain but she says the drops and turns are just too much for her on Slinky Dog.

Well, I can't compare it to Mine Train because I didn't get to ride it but I thought it was tamer, overall, than Big Thunder. When you're on the ride it is more visually imposing because it seems like you can view the track more while you're riding, but I thought Big Thunder was more intense and longer. I'm a bit of an adult roller coaster wimp and Slinky Dog seemed okay to me. There was a short spot where my motion sickness got a little set off but it was really quick. Same with Big Thunder. There definitely were tons of kids on Slinky Dog and it's designed "for the whole family."

The difference that Slinky has from the others, and what makes it more "exciting", to those who are coaster adverse, is you can't always see where you are going. Due to the track design and the way the cars set on the track there are a lot of times where you are riding blind. It's what makes Space very exciting too. Not seeing/knowing what's next adds an element of excitement to coasters. It means you can't always prepare your body to know which way to lean/what to brace for. It's fun but does make it not for everyone

It's more intense than 7DMT for sure. Longer too.

As you know every kid is different, my 5 y/o DD is terrified of Slinky Dog. She has rode it twice and has swore it off. She loves Mine Train and Splash Mountain but she says the drops and turns are just too much for her on Slinky Dog.
Wow, when I first read this I thought it said she loves Mine Train and Space Mountain and I thought, how on earth can anyone find Slinky dog scarier than Space Mountain. Then I realized Splash silly, not Space. LOL.... reading comprehension, it's important

It would be more like Big Thunder ... with the difference being that there is not "mountain" or imagineering built around the tracks .......

What that means is you see yourself climbing and you see out across the park (has high points), and you see the ground and drops .... and it banks several times so you see sideways down (that worried me most with DS). A few times (I was trying to take photos) you feel the force on you that you don't feel on 7DMT.

It is a family coaster for sure BUT it certainly is a step up and I think that is to address those who were disappointed with 7DMT. Aliens on the other hand is just as benign as TSMM.

Totally depends on a child's thrill level and ability to be high and see it.

And I think that plays in to it's exposed track and open views mean .... it's just a coaster. The mine train and Splash are full of imagineering, walls, decor that take the focus off the "ride" itself and obstruct views of track and the ground.

That's what I was afraid of.....they looked at it on You Tube and they were unsure about riding given the wide open spaces with the drops and turns.

It would be more like Big Thunder ... with the difference being that there is not "mountain" or imagineering built around the tracks .......

What that means is you see yourself climbing and you see out across the park (has high points), and you see the ground and drops .... and it banks several times so you see sideways down (that worried me most with DS). A few times (I was trying to take photos) you feel the force on you that you don't feel on 7DMT.

It is a family coaster for sure BUT it certainly is a step up and I think that is to address those who were disappointed with 7DMT. Aliens on the other hand is just as benign as TSMM.

And I think that plays in to it's exposed track and open views mean .... it's just a coaster. The mine train and Splash are full of imagineering, walls, decor that take the focus off the "ride" itself and obstruct views of track and the ground.
Thank you that is helpful...I saw a post here a while back that tried to rate thrill level of coasters and I was wondering if slinky dog is more of a "Thrill" than SDMT. Should be fun to see if we decide to give it a shot or opt for the Alien ride. :)

Every time we have ridden it, my daughter (5, almost 6) has gotten in last, that way she is closer to the camera for the photo. Because of this, she is unable to see over the side of the larger drops. So I don’t think she has noticed how high she is off the ground. So that is something you can try if your kid is apprehensive.

But my daughter is also a daredevil and has no problem riding everything she is tall enough to ride.

This. The only thing I'll add is that SDD is incredibly smooth, so it helps cutting out vibrations and jerky feelings (so feels less dangerous), but it may "feel" faster in a way because it's so smooth.

Deff more intense then mine train. Was more intense then big thunder also to me.

I was supposed to ride it twice but once was enough.

It is not as smooth as mine train

Had more “ drop “ feelings then either two

I prefer mine train and big thunder

Deff more intense then mine train. Was more intense then big thunder also to me.

I was supposed to ride it twice but once was enough.

It is not as smooth as mine train

Had more “ drop “ feelings then either two

I prefer mine train and big thunder
Wow really??? We have never been on Big Thunder as we have heard that it is a wood coaster and a rough ride. This now for sure has us second guessing.

Wow really??? We have never been on Big Thunder as we have heard that it is a wood coaster and a rough ride. This now for sure has us second guessing.

I found Big Thunder a little more intense than Slinky Dog. Everyone has their thing that defines "intense." Big Thunder is smooth on the rails but is meant to feel like you're on some runaway train. I think it is more "jerky" then rough. Slinky Dog was definitely smooth to me.

Is it really? Odd that we have heard from a couple of people that their back hurt because of it being a bumpy ride wood coaster. Interesting!

Steel coaster tucked among imagineering. Amazing how much people share wrong info.

Yes it can be rough and toss you about the car especially if you sit alone but that has to do with the dynamics of the ride. It is very secure steel track, with a runaway train.

big-thunder-mountain-railroad-00.jpg

POV video from BigFatPanda

How old are your children? My youngest rode Goofy's Barnstormer at 2, Space Mountain at like 4 I think, Rock N Roller Coaster at 7. Big Thunder is a very smooth, nice coaster for little kids; both my kids loved it since they were tall enough (older toddlers I guess).

One thing to keep in mind: don't put fear into kids. They will either like it or not. At 9, my oldest rode Rock N Roller Coaster once, said never again. Youngest rode it over and over (Space Mountain too). Until we discovered a few years ago he has a genetic condition so really should avoid some of them.

I would rank it somewhere between SDMT and Big Thunder. My 5-year old absolutely loved it and rode about seven times in a row (we were lucky enough to go to a preview) and he loves both SDMT and Big Thunder, but was so afraid on Flight of Passage that he was in tears. My 2-year old just hit 38 inches and is a little thrill seeker so we're planning on taking him in the next few weeks. It really depends on the child, but if she doesn't like Big Thunder, maybe this isn't for her? The good thing about Slinky is that you can watch it go around a few times and make a decision when it's there in front of you.

To me it is that mildest full coaster in Disney. All is visible, no hidden drops and fun for the family. If anyone is OK on 7DMT they will have no problem on Slinky.

As far as coasters are concern in order of their intensity for me at WDW.

1. RnRC (mostly because of the very quick start and the inversion)
2. Everest (mostly because of the height and reverse section)
3. Space Mtn. (mostly because of the rough track and the darkness)
4. Big Thunder (Just a fun coaster that isn't done in a second)
5. 7DMT (another fun coaster/dark ride combination)
6. Slinky (out in front of you, gentle drops and turns)
7. Barnstormer (I've seen rocking chairs that increased my heartrate more)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter