Sleep around points

We bought 625 at SSR and I suppose the are sleep around points even if we didn't plan to use them as such. We purchased 500 in Feb of 2021 and added 125 the following Feb.

So far we have been able to stay:
  • March 2021 - Poly -- 3 nights
  • June 2021 - BLT / RIV / BWV -- all studios, I believe the split was 5 / 5 / 7
  • Sept 2021 - BCV studio -- 3 nights
  • Dec 2021 - BWV 1 BR / Poly -- 10 / 4 split
  • March 2022 - SSR Studio 2 nights (booked 1 day before)
  • June 2022 - VGF Resort Studio -- 12 nights
  • Nov 2022 - BLT Studio and 1 BR -- 5 / 4 nights (simultaneous....the 1 BR was for my parents / sister)
  • Dec 2022 - AKV Kidani 1 bedroom -- 8 nights
  • June 2023 -- Currently have 16 nights in RIV Preferred Studio, but at 7 months we could have grabbed pretty much any studio we wanted.

Our ultimate goal is to get our previous borrowing under control (should happen by Summer 2024) so we can then start doing 1 BRs and have an even easier time booking.

My math says yes. Low points cost, low dues per point, 2054 expiry.

VB/HHI - lower upfront cost but quickly become worse deals than SSR due to dues & expiry

OKW - 2042 expiry for not much less than SSR makes SSR the better deal. If you can find an OKW - 2057 it might math alright.

AKV & AUL - While I feel SSR is the better deal for sleep around due to the lower dues, you can easily make a case for Animal Kingdom or Aulani. You pay higher dues each year than SSR, but the purchase price can be similar and your sleep around ability will be good 3 or 8 years longer than SSR.

Add to AUL being subsidized and that makes it even more worthwhile. If Hawaii law and etc. is something you don't want to deal with my next choice prob would have been for AKL. It's only a few years longer on contract but personally I think it's an amazing resort, great food and as Pete Werner always says.. "it has a freakin' savanna". The only downside of it to me is the location which isn't that big of a deal unless you frequent Magic Kingdom a lot.

Last edited:
We bought SSR in 2004 because that is what was for sale and I didn´t know anything about resale. We go every year and I don´t think we have stayed at SSR in the last 10 years. I had a harder time getting a two bd in the beginning of our contracts than now. It helps that my favorite resort is OKW, but we have stayed everywhere.

We usually went during Feb or April school vacations, but now we can go whenever. I will try for a lower point season, and I will make the reservation right at 8am on the 7 month window.

My math says yes. Low points cost, low dues per point, 2054 expiry.

VB/HHI - lower upfront cost but quickly become worse deals than SSR due to dues & expiry

OKW - 2042 expiry for not much less than SSR makes SSR the better deal. If you can find an OKW - 2057 it might math alright.

AKV & AUL - While I feel SSR is the better deal for sleep around due to the lower dues, you can easily make a case for Animal Kingdom or Aulani. You pay higher dues each year than SSR, but the purchase price can be similar and your sleep around ability will be good 3 or 8 years longer than SSR.
I like this answer and I like the argument for AKL. Bravo.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned BLT? Is it because its average resale price has outstripped SSR? When we were buying resale, BLT was only about $10 pp (if that!) more than SSR, with lower dues. I thought it was undervalued at the time, and wish we'd bought more then. We ended up using different resorts as SAP because of COVID and working not to lose banked points - we were often booking at under 7 months in 2020-2021. Non-home resorts we've stayed with primarily BLT points:

BWV, BCV x2, AKV, and AUL coming up.

We even had managed to book VGC twice with BLT points back in 2019 and for 2023, and then we decided to go to Hawaii instead. I'm excited to try AUL but boy did it hurt to give up that VGC.

My 3 contracts are SAP in this order AUL, OKW, BLT. We have used all of them as SAP. In 3 years we have stayed at all WDW resorts except GFV(no interest), POLY(been canceled twice by covid trying again this year) and Riviera(want to but only have 75 OKW point direct)

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned BLT? Is it because its average resale price has outstripped SSR? When we were buying resale, BLT was only about $10 pp (if that!) more than SSR, with lower dues.

If you can find it that cheap, absolutely.

I just happened to see two $145/pt BLT listings tonight and was surprised because there aren’t a lot priced that low. Not stripped either. My first thought was “those would get RoFR’d” but it looks like some lucky bugger passed two contracts at $135/pt last month, so it’s definitely doable.

Bear in mind SSR currently appears to be doable at $100 all day long so there’s still a price difference, apparently more so than when you bought.

Bear in mind SSR currently appears to be doable at $100 all day long so there’s still a price difference, apparently more so than when you bought.
When we were jumping into DVC in early 2021, BLT was routinely going for $160-$170 PP, whereas SSR was down around $100-$110 PP.

I was hoping I could get some feedback from those that purchased SAP. I would especially like to hear from people who in the past 2 years were able to book at the monorail resorts but would like to hear how any of the SAP you had were used.

What resort did you consider the points as SAP
What resort and room size did you use them
What time period was your stay
How far in advance did you book- exactly at 7 months for example

I have reviewed all of the availability charts but hearing real life experience would be helpful

Thank you
If you are asking this question to determine on what resort you should be buying to use as sleep around points just make sure your factor in the resorts expiration date, yearly maintenance fees and location.
Vero Beach and Hilton head may have low costs per point but the yearly MF is going to eat up any savings you had by purchasing them, OKW is an aging resort and their fees seem to be climbing at a higher yearly percentage. Also buy where you wouldn't mind staying at if you had to. Don't buy an off property resort if you will never have any intention at staying there.

We recently purchased BLT points as sleep around points .. and also very happy to stay there for magic kingdom. I’ve got 9-18 years range of kids so they love HS and Epcot more .. also bought some BWV and riviera points. We plan to visit atleast twice a year so will regularly use BWV and riviera and BLT to try new resorts if available - else walking to magic kingdom from resort or back .. is the best next option.

When we were jumping into DVC in early 2021, BLT was routinely going for $160-$170 PP, whereas SSR was down around $100-$110 PP.
Ah. When we bought in early 2017 you could get BLT in the $100-$110 range and SSR was $75-90. so a lot closer in price.

Back to OP ( @tom1944 ) - it generally seems that for resale SAP, SSR / AKV / OKW can all be good deals. For a monorail resort, if you can get BLT for $135 pp that would be a good deal, but then get enough points for a 1br because the studios are sort of small for more than 2 adults. With a 1BR you will have 2 full baths, which is also great if you are traveling with a 3rd adult. BLT is about to undergo a refurb which I hope will make the LR bedding more comfortable (Murphy bed??)

If you're sure you'd only want to stay in a studio, even with 3 adults, then take good look at Poly (and maybe VGF) and don't be shy about making some lowball offers.

Ultimately, it is a buyers' market right now and Disney isn't going to take them all (no Poly ROFR since 2021!), so wait for the right # of points and UY and make offers around what you'd be willing to pay. When we bought our first resale contract, we would have been happy at either BLT or BWV but I had a set price in my mind of what I'd pay for each that was different, and the "right" BLT contract came on the market first. (My ceiling for BWV was ~ $10-15 lower than my BLT ceiling)

My only regret is that at that price, I wish we'd bought more points.

Back to OP ( @tom1944 ) - it generally seems that for resale SAP, SSR / AKV / OKW can all be good deals. For a monorail resort, if you can get BLT for $135 pp that would be a good deal, but then get enough points for a 1br because the studios are sort of small for more than 2 adults. With a 1BR you will have 2 full baths, which is also great if you are traveling with a 3rd adult. BLT is about to undergo a refurb which I hope will make the LR bedding more comfortable (Murphy bed??)

If you're sure you'd only want to stay in a studio, even with 3 adults, then take good look at Poly (and maybe VGF) and don't be shy about making some lowball offers.

Ultimately, it is a buyers' market right now and Disney isn't going to take them all (no Poly ROFR since 2021!), so wait for the right # of points and UY and make offers around what you'd be willing to pay. When we bought our first resale contract, we would have been happy at either BLT or BWV but I had a set price in my mind of what I'd pay for each that was different, and the "right" BLT contract came on the market first. (My ceiling for BWV was ~ $10-15 lower than my BLT ceiling)

My only regret is that at that price, I wish we'd bought more points.
You read my mind

I am following BLT and SSR prices. I see several contracts of interest

Just waiting for my accumulated vacation pay check.

Leaning towards BLT for location and the additional 6 years. I decided it is worth a premium to SSR. The question is how much of a premium. At $35/40 dollars per point it is fine over that it may be worth getting SSR points and booking 1 bedrooms at 7 month

I will do the math

I'm surprised no one has mentioned BLT? Is it because its average resale price has outstripped SSR? When we were buying resale, BLT was only about $10 pp (if that!) more than SSR, with lower dues. I thought it was undervalued at the time, and wish we'd bought more then. We ended up using different resorts as SAP because of COVID and working not to lose banked points - we were often booking at under 7 months in 2020-2021. Non-home resorts we've stayed with primarily BLT points:

BWV, BCV x2, AKV, and AUL coming up.

We even had managed to book VGC twice with BLT points back in 2019 and for 2023, and then we decided to go to Hawaii instead. I'm excited to try AUL but boy did it hurt to give up that VGC.
We thought BLT was perfect. At 143 at the time it seemed to always have lower dues in the long run, had great rental potential, longer contract, and if we were stuck there it would be much better than SSR for a family. We love BLT but curiousity drove us to do a lot of stays elsewhere. In the end with recent prices it still is a strong contender for someone who wants a decent home resort location with a little extra value. Reno incoming will bump prices I bet too.

I am going to ask a curveball to this thread.... What is wrong with CCV being a strong SAP contender? The contract has a crazy amount of years left of use.... I am almost 30 so that provides me stays until 75. So there is even resale potential far as value even 20 years from now even if still just a little. But more important, the contract provides a great resort, high demand rental points if needed, access to studios that are hard to get, and the dues are not too bad. Prices have fallen to 135-155 from what I have seen. That is not much more than BLT and similar to RV without restrictions. Just caught my eye as a solid option for someone looking for LT value without paying too much.

My 200 direct points at SSR are the bedrock of my membership, and my SAP. I have 275 at BRV, and may look at possibly a third resort this year
Bahaha so much for the third resort :P I shouldn't be judging though, I acquired 3 home resorts in 3 months 🤣🤣

I am going to ask a curveball to this thread.... What is wrong with CCV being a strong SAP contender? The contract has a crazy amount of years left of use.... I am almost 30 so that provides me stays until 75. So there is even resale potential far as value even 20 years from now even if still just a little. But more important, the contract provides a great resort, high demand rental points if needed, access to studios that are hard to get, and the dues are not too bad. Prices have fallen to 135-155 from what I have seen. That is not much more than BLT and similar to RV without restrictions. Just caught my eye as a solid option for someone looking for LT value without paying too much.
Agree with this. It's what we did. Studios are probably the biggest issue or hold-back for folks. After we purchased, the only sleeps four is a bigger issue for us. It is the last of the unrestricted resorts in a way with a lot of years to use.

Nothing's wrong with CCV being a contender, DVC Resale Market has ranked it in the top 3 of its most economical resorts because of the long length of the contract and relatively lower dues. At the time this thread was active back in January, I believe CCV was the only one that was still being ROFR'ed so prices for it were still pretty high. There's also the matter of getting an offer accepted in the $130-150 range. Many of the sub-200pt listings are still priced well into the 160s and 170s and it may be difficult for some of the owner to sell lower considering the opening price was $176pp.

Agree with this. It's what we did. Studios are probably the biggest issue or hold-back for folks. After we purchased, the only sleeps four is a bigger issue for us. It is the last of the unrestricted resorts in a way with a lot of years to use.
I am about to be a father of two daughters now. Really not planning on being a family of 5 ha but maybe down the road if that was the case we would have to stay in different studios. My wife does not care to stay in studios because it's mostly a bed for her... But we are tempted to focus on 1 bedrooms in coming years unless we need to save points.

I
Nothing's wrong with CCV being a contender, DVC Resale Market has ranked it in the top 3 of its most economical resorts because of the long length of the contract and relatively lower dues. At the time this thread was active back in January, I believe CCV was the only one that was still being ROFR'ed so prices for it were still pretty high. There's also the matter of getting an offer accepted in the $130-150 range. Many of the sub-200pt listings are still priced well into the 160s and 170s and it may be difficult for some of the owner to sell lower considering the opening price was $176pp.
Agreed that the price is something they may struggle with. The market doesn't value it the same and it's a hard no for me at 170 plus in my opinion at this moment. I saw several pass sub 100 points at 150ish with a few falling into 130s. It's a recent change but rofr coming back would make those sellers happy for sure. SSR is my secondary thought right now... Just not sure I want to add more BLT since I already own there... Wanted options at 11 months for planned split stays and lower cost SAP use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter