Skyliner for DL/DCA?

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Just something to ponder. Absolutely no basis in any rumor that may be out there.

Would it make sense for Disney to put in a Skyliner between DL and DCA? Yes, I know there is an issue about admission tickets and the need for a "hopper" type pass. Assuming that was overcome, would it make sense for Disney to do that?

How about if they also extended the Skyliner to Paradise Pier?

Would have made more sense to add a monorail station when they did the DCA refurb - but they didn't. As ImDMous pointed out, it is a short walk. Also, the run between DCA and DtD would have been really short.

Would love to see the Peoplemover return in a functional capacity - i.e. park to parking lot and/or park-to-park, or as mentioned, front to back of park, not just a scenic loop. I know the idea has been thrown about.

We would like that very much. While the walk is short between entrances, it's a long ways from one end of the a park to the other. It just adds more walking to the many miles we have walk every day. A location deep in DL, like from the PM, would be fantastic for us. I'd like to see it drop people off deeper into DCA as well.
If it stopped back near the DCA entrance from the GCH, it would be even more useful.

Honestly don't think they would have even contemplated that before the hot mess made by Covid 19, with the new fiscal reality now I would think it would no chance, not with all the other more high priority in progress and proposed projects out there.

That's awfully ambitious!

I'd settle for the Imagineers figuring out a way allow the monorail to run when Southern California temperatures are above 70 degrees! :rotfl:

But the real reason I think that will never happen is Disneyland doesn't have the land to build resorts to be able to make a profit off of selling DVC/Disney branded rooms. The main reason the Skyliner was installed was to make CBR/Riviera/Resorts connected to the Skyliner more attractive/command even higher prices because they are all too far from the parks, and park-goers hate buses, which is why the MK and Epcot resorts are more desirable. Without that incentive ... why would DLR want to spend that money? They've been fighting with the City of Anaheim for years over trying to build another hotel, finally settled for a 4th Tower at DLH, which even in a recession will sell out quickly (VGC landed right at the beginning of the last recession, still sold out in under 2 years).

Last edited:

I often wish they'd put in some transportation options within DCA besides the fantastic but mostly-useless-as-conveyance trolleys. I know it would have been difficult to predict the eventual layout as expansions took place, but having that train that goes all the way around DL is priceless, if for no other reason than it's scenic and gives you a good place to rest while still seeing the park. It's really nice when you have tired kids or you're just done with walking and want to leave the park because there is generally a station nearby. I wish they'd done something like that in DCA or included another form of moving lots of people from one spot to another, or even in a big loop (Mark Twain, People Movers). And man, I wish they hadn't ditched the Skyway buckets. I've heard the reasons but I still wish they could/would have saved them.

I miss the old skyway and PeopleMover (I like slow rides, what can i say), but I don't see this happening. Even deep in SWGE, the walk to Pixar Pier/DCA isn't bad (15-20 minutes at a moderate pace, ish?)

The monorail stop would have made more sense, but real estate is precious.

Maybe if Third Gate ever opens (it won't, not in my lifetime) and maybe if Gardenwalk is ever acquired (it didn't happen last year when it was on market), then mmmmaybe a monorail expansion makes sense over the Eastern Gateway (RIP) and down to the former (current? thought it was on long term lease) Fujishige property could make sense.

I think they could theoretically put a Grand Californian/DCA stop for the monorail since the track already goes there and it's just a matter of knocking down some stuff to put in a platform. But it's not really enough of a walk to make it useful.

There were also proposals to extend the monorail to add stops to the Disneyland and Paradise Pier hotels. Not sure it that's actually happening though.

I think they could theoretically put a Grand Californian/DCA stop for the monorail since the track already goes there and it's just a matter of knocking down some stuff to put in a platform. But it's not really enough of a walk to make it useful.

There were also proposals to extend the monorail to add stops to the Disneyland and Paradise Pier hotels. Not sure it that's actually happening though.

The SimCity in me came out, hah.

Things like ROI and common sense aside, a 2nd monorail would be great that leaves the DD station, heads south on Disneyland Dr (PPH stop?), heads east down Katella (backside of DCA - hey maybe a convention center stop?), and terminates at Gardenwalk. That puts it right at the foot of the Fujishige property/3rd Gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter