Skyliner Closure - Which resort to switch?

LeeAnn

DIS Veteran
January 16th through January 21st, 2024, the Skyliner will be closed for routine maintenance. That's during my DD birthday weekend. We chose POP to save on cost and it has the Skyliner. Now not sure what to do?

Dolphin and YC are walking distance to Epcot which we love but twice the cost. Love YC pool but in January, I don't think we will use the pool. Do you think the weather will warrant a pool day/time?

MK resort are even more.

Friday night, resort restaurant
Sat Epcot
Sun MK/DHS for Fantasmic
Mon DS

Or something close to that. Guess it shouldn't matter that we are stayiong at POP. But the closure make me want to change.

Any suggestions?

They will have buses when the Skyliner. HS is basically around the corner from Pop. You could save $ if you switch to All Stars which basically is Pop without the Skyliner.

The MK/Epcot hotels are going to super pricey compared to Pop. You could maybe look at POR Riverside or French Quarter if you want something more upscale than Pop but not deluxe. You would have boat service to DS.

Perhaps instead of booking a more expensive resort that may not have significantly better transportation options, stay where you are. All of the resorts use buses to get to at least part of the resort.

If you don’t like buses, it might be cheaper to stay at Pop or switch to All Star and use the savings for Minnie Van rides. We have found that using bus transportation to a park and a Minnie Van back at the end of the night is a great combo when staying at a value resort. Plus, it would be a fun splurge for a birthday trip. Just a thought . . .

The only thing is, Disney has a little disclaimer at the end of giving the dates that says that dates may change due to unforeseen circumstances. I noticed that because I'm staying at an Epcot resort a couple days after the Skyliner's due to reopen. Things could happen to screw up either of us utilizing the Skyliner (much more of a problem for you, I realize). However, my point is-what if you change hotels, then the dates of the Skyliner refurb change? Give some thought to where you'd be happiest with or without the Skyliner.

With my dates, hollywood studios will be open but not epcot. My options are either save $55 for five nights (total, not each night) and go to all stars, stay at pop and use half of the skyliner, or upgrade to POFQ for $330. Anything else starts to be too expensive. POFQ is pushing it as it is and it doesn’t really interest me. I think i’m going to stay at pop

You might even be better off to rent a car and stay at POP if you really think taking the buses will be a problem or take an Uber or taxi occasionally if necessary. We definitely prefer to take the buses over trying to navigate around the World with a car or worrying about not having a glass of wine if it's too close to when we are going to drive. I don't mind spending a bit of time on the bus if it means less arguing about taking the wrong turn off (think Incredibles RV scene).

Don’t forget even if the SkyLiner was operating , weather could change and affect the operation .
I like that you are choosing to stay with your POP reservation .
This resort always has lots of windows decorated to walk around and enjoy because everybody is celebrating something at POP even if they are just celebrating POP !
Plus you will be able to walk over to visit the Art of Animation Resort .

For some reason it seems the last time they had a maintenance it ended up being back in business sooner that expected.
Wishing you lots of Magic in other words!

Also in case you are unaware…POFQ is undergoing a pool refurbishment from Jan 2024 to April 2024… as a personal choice I would stay at Pop and hope the maintenance ends early…

With my dates, hollywood studios will be open but not epcot. My options are either save $55 for five nights (total, not each night) and go to all stars, stay at pop and use half of the skyliner, or upgrade to POFQ for $330. Anything else starts to be too expensive. POFQ is pushing it as it is and it doesn’t really interest me. I think i’m going to stay at pop

Sounds like POFQ is having major pool work done from January- April. So might be a good option anyway

Sorry, didn’t see @daae3 already posted this.

January 16th through January 21st, 2024, the Skyliner will be closed for routine maintenance. That's during my DD birthday weekend. We chose POP to save on cost and it has the Skyliner. Now not sure what to do?

Dolphin and YC are walking distance to Epcot which we love but twice the cost. Love YC pool but in January, I don't think we will use the pool. Do you think the weather will warrant a pool day/time?

MK resort are even more.

Friday night, resort restaurant
Sat Epcot
Sun MK/DHS for Fantasmic
Mon DS

Or something close to that. Guess it shouldn't matter that we are stayiong at POP. But the closure make me want to change.

Any suggestions?
I def. wouldn't pay Pop prices with no skyliner...might as well stay at an allstar and save ur money. I'd do that or if you can swing a Cresent Lake resort that. I don't think I'd spend the money on YC or BC in Jan. Maybe Swan/Dol...or Boardwalk?

I'm renting point t Riviera but I'm just going to tough it out. I'll at least be able to ride it for the first 3 days of my trip.

Try Priceline - when Swan/Dolphin and Disney had rooms at $600+, got one at Swan Reserve with Epcot view on Priceline for $300.

You do know it’s only the HS line that week right, the Skyliner will still be working for Epcot. I would just stay put at POP and just Lyft it on your HS day, it’s close and cheaper if you use regular Lyft then the Minnie vans. Also even if they weren’t closing it for their yearly maintenance there’s always a chance it will close. Last week it was closed and the weather was perfect so I’m assuming it was a maintenance issue but they took us in a follow the leader/conga line to get to the bus backstage.

You do know it’s only the HS line that week right, the Skyliner will still be working for Epcot.

FYI, both lines will be closed 1/16-1/21 with the Epcot line remaining closed through 1/27.

From January 16, 2024 through January 21, 2024, Disney Skyliner will be closed for routine maintenance. Disney Skyliner service to and from Disney’s Riviera Resort and International Gateway at EPCOT will remain closed through January 27, 2024. During this time, complimentary bus service will be available.

FYI, both lines will be closed 1/16-1/21 with the Epcot line remaining closed through 1/27.

From January 16, 2024 through January 21, 2024, Disney Skyliner will be closed for routine maintenance. Disney Skyliner service to and from Disney’s Riviera Resort and International Gateway at EPCOT will remain closed through January 27, 2024. During this time, complimentary bus service will be available.

Yeah I don’t know why I read it the other way, I blame my brain being on Disney setting still 🤦🏼‍♀️

Pop was a great resort before the skyliner. We've gotten a call twice with an offer for an upgrade because it's been oversold. We were given SSR in place of our pop stay and our girls did nothing but talk about how they missed Pop!!! I would stick with what you have and enjoy a less crowded Pop as so many people are probably changing. The only other value we really like is Music. I'm not sure why but we always have a great time there and it never seems busy which equals less time in line when your trying to feed hungry kids. Have a great time.

Pop was a great resort before the skyliner. We've gotten a call twice with an offer for an upgrade because it's been oversold. We were given SSR in place of our pop stay and our girls did nothing but talk about how they missed Pop!!! I would stick with what you have and enjoy a less crowded Pop as so many people are probably changing. The only other value we really like is Music. I'm not sure why but we always have a great time there and it never seems busy which equals less time in line when your trying to feed hungry kids. Have a great time.
You know what? You are exactly right. My previous answer was an All Star because of cost. IDK why "don't change resorts" wasn't my first thought. In 2024, we will be staying at Pop for the 4th time in a row and 5th overall and we love it.

The skyliner reopened a couple of day early during last year's refurb, but I wouldn't count on it.

We traveled at this same time in 2023 and learned the Skyliner would be down. In 2022 we stayed at POP and liked the Skyliner, so we were in the same boat as you are!
We decided to trade DOWN to the All Stars. I have zero regrets on that decision. We loved it so much we are going back and staying again! We saved a fair amount of money, but I did upgrade to Preferred and that was the best $100 or so that I spent in Disney in my life. It was indeed a 1 minute walk to the lobby and 2 minutes to the busses. (For reference, the prior year at POP, we were about 8 minutes from the Skyiner. We hated that walk at the end of the day, or coming back mid day).

I had no bus issues, except a very full bus back from Disney Springs late one evening. For the price savings, when we go this trip, I will spring for a Lyft once in a while to help out. But for our MK, HS, and EP days - busses were just fine!

And, the rooms are totally identical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter