Skipping the parks?

flash828

Mouseketeer
I know some of you skip the parks while at the Fort but how far do you travel for just the Fort? We are a little over 800 miles one way and I would love to skip the parks and enjoy the fort and do other activities but it sounds crazy to drive all that way for just a campground .Trying to convince wife and kids (15 and 13).

We drove 1500 miles one way back in Aug., just me and DW, stayed around the Fort and the Springs, had a great time.

We are driving down from Michigan for Spring Break. Besides Animal Kingdom to see Pandora I don't see us doing much of the parks this time.
The kids 14 and 16 are fine with it. (so is the wife!)

Paul

We’re driving over 1700 miles right now- coming from northern Minnesota. No park days- just the Halloween party and the Christmas party for us! And also spending a day at discovery Cove- something we’ve never done but always wanted to :)

we are 1300 miles, I could skip the parks and just do Fantasia mini golf, Disney springs, boardwalk and the Fort

I have learned to add a good mix of down days to our plans. Enough park time to see and do what we want and Fort days to just hang and chill.

We’re driving over 1700 miles right now- coming from northern Minnesota. No park days- just the Halloween party and the Christmas party for us! And also spending a day at discovery Cove- something we’ve never done but always wanted to :)

My wife and I did Discovery Cove twice. The first time just a regular dolphin experience. The second time which is about 13 years or so now, Trainer for a Day. We had a blast. The last time we went to Seaworld was in 2012 and had fun. The next time we are in the area for awhile, I am thinking maybe discovery cove visit.

It's great to consider The Fort the "destination" rather than the parks because it truly is. It is a premier campground experience that's as relaxing or active as you want it to be. As Florida residents its our campground of choice and gives us so many options that we visit quite frequently and never even go into the parks. Bikes, boats, golf, horses, wildlife, happy campers, walking/jogging paths, boat rides at night, disney movies, hotel hopping via monorail riding, campfire sing alongs, canoeing, fishing, basketball and don't forget all the pool fun. Absolutely come and enjoy The Fort, "Your Way"!

Although I agree it can be just a destination by itself, Dude it would be hard to be only a 10 minute boat ride and not go in at least one day. Over the years we were 1 wk stay parking every day, then moved to axp 2 wks stay with 5 or 6 days in parks. Making a 2 day drive just for the Fort.... Thinking I would look at other locations, unless the other things you are looking at are pretty awesome. I would rather spend 1/2 or 3/4 the nightly rate and reinvest the $ in family activities on vacation.

It's great to consider The Fort the "destination" rather than the parks because it truly is. It is a premier campground experience that's as relaxing or active as you want it to be. As Florida residents its our campground of choice and gives us so many options that we visit quite frequently and never even go into the parks. Bikes, boats, golf, horses, wildlife, happy campers, walking/jogging paths, boat rides at night, disney movies, hotel hopping via monorail riding, campfire sing alongs, canoeing, fishing, basketball and don't forget all the pool fun. Absolutely come and enjoy The Fort, "Your Way"!

When you're basically a 'local' it's easy to let the Fort be a destination, as you can probably go more often and pick and choose your activities. It's a different story for us when it is quite a trip to get there, plus a lot of what's offered does not appeal to every person. We, of course, love the Fort, but it will never be 'the' destination.

Great replies! Reason we are thinking of doing this is to use the fort a base camp. Spend a day at Cocoa Beach, NASA or my old school in Daytona etc. Of course resort hops, meals and shows too. We have done parks either every year or every other since 2005 (4 of those at the fort) and as the kids get older they are geared more towards bigger rides which any amusement park can fill, and not the 'magical experience' that Disney supplies.

During the holidays, we like to visit the hotels for christmas decorations and just awe at the architecture but thats just nerdy me and we are only 3.5 hours away. Also like the disney part of disney springs.

Great replies! Reason we are thinking of doing this is to use the fort a base camp. Spend a day at Cocoa Beach, NASA or my old school in Daytona etc. Of course resort hops, meals and shows too. We have done parks either every year or every other since 2005 (4 of those at the fort) and as the kids get older they are geared more towards bigger rides which any amusement park can fill, and not the 'magical experience' that Disney supplies.

What is your "old school"?

I'm enjoying reading these posts. It's 1,300 miles for us, and we are big park buffs! It's hard for me to imagine hauling all the way down there and never going into the parks, but with the price of park tickets for a family of 5, maybe one of these years we will use it to get a 'Disney fix' between the more costly trips. The two times we've stayed at the Fort I have found that we haven't gotten to enjoy it as much as I would have liked. Perhaps when it is just DW and me it will be different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter