Skipping the counter with CT or DE license?

ClapYourHands

DIS Veteran
Given that CT and DE has some driver's licenses that are now invalid in FL, has anyone tried to do an accelerated check in coming from one of those states? I have a Real ID with the star on it, and have rented in FL since the restriction went into place, but I'm wondering if Alamo or Avis would make me go to the counter so an agent can verify my license type. Our flight is due to get in at 12:30am (assuming it's on time, and I don't make that assumption), so I'm willing to maybe pay a bit more to skip the counter, but I don't really want to pay an extra $40 over Thrifty/Dollar rates if I'm going to have to go to the counter anyway.

I think because CT and DE do not adhere to the Real ID law that states that they have to use multiple ways to ensure your identity before issuing you a license. I thought that they postponed this again since it woud also prohibit people in those states from flying.

wait, how are those licenses invalid?
I can't speak for CT but I *think* DE can either be Real ID or not, so if you haven't transfered your current DE license to a Real ID one then you may have a issue.

*I think, I'm no expert, I just live next to the DE line and recall hearing something along these lines from employees who live in DE.

I think because CT and DE do not adhere to the Real ID law that states that they have to use multiple ways to ensure your identity before issuing you a license. I thought that they postponed this again since it woud also prohibit people in those states from flying.
Interesting?

In Massachusetts, you can have a real ID or Not but I have not heard of this restriction.

I have heard of Florida's intention to invalidate licenses issued to undocumented residents,

Is this a Florida thing or a rental car thing?

As far as the rental car thing last time I rented a car in Orlando I just walked to the parking lot, picked a car, both with Avis and hertz

Last edited:

It's not an issue with Real ID that I can see, it's a law that was passed in Florida this summer. It seems that Budget covered this on their website pretty well;

Florida Only: Certain, limited out-of-state licenses are not, pursuant to state law, recognized by the State of Florida to drive a vehicle on public roads. These licenses are not valid for identification purposes and will have a statement similar to:
o Not For Federal Identification
o Driving Privilege Only
o Not Valid for Identification

It's not an issue with Real ID that I can see, it's a law that was passed in Florida this summer. It seems that Budget covered this on their website pretty well;

Florida Only: Certain, limited out-of-state licenses are not, pursuant to state law, recognized by the State of Florida to drive a vehicle on public roads. These licenses are not valid for identification purposes and will have a statement similar to:
o Driving Privilege Only
Ah, I see, it’s not a prohibition against all CT or DE licenses, only the ones that are labeled that way by those states.

It sounds like it is Florida enforcing their restrictions on unofficial licenses....
I hadn't heard that the rental car companies had made a big deal out of it, but I can see why they would want to protect their assets

wait, how are those licenses invalid?
CT and DE have certain licenses that are valid for driving purposes only. Basically, they mean the person has taken the test proving safe operation of a motor vehicle, and can thus legally drive, register, and insure a vehicle. The idea is basically that there are people who are not legally in the US, but they're here and they drive, so it's a harm reduction strategy (as well as a revenue generator) to give them a path to driving safely and carrying adequate insurance. Undocumented people drive in other states because it's a necessity; they just don't go through the formalities of it.

Florida wants to make things uncomfortable for undocumented persons, and their allies, so has made those licenses invalid in FL. Which means anyone with any CT or DE drivers license comes under increased scrutiny.
CT and DE adhere to the Real ID law (I myself have a Real ID) but they don't ONLY adhere to the real ID. There are CT and DE driver's licenses that are valid for federal identification, including flying, but there are ALSO driving only licenses that are specifically designed for the undocumented.
Interesting?

In Massachusetts, you can have a real ID or Not but I have not heard of this restriction.

I have heard of Florida's intention to invalidate licenses issued to undocumented residents,

Is this a Florida thing or a rental car thing?

As far as the rental car thing last time I rented a car in Orlando I just walked to the parking lot, picked a car, both with Avis and hertz
It's a FL thing because it's culture war thing. I assume the rental car companies are annoyed by the extra steps. FL is singling out the two states that currently have a dedicated license for undocumented people. In CT, you can have a regular license, a Real ID license, or a drive-only license. There are lots of people in lots of states that have regular licenses, not Real ID licenses, just because that was the standard, and they haven't gone through the extra steps to have Real ID verified. But because they aren't from states that explicitly implemented the drive-only license, they are kind of under the radar in FL. Technically, someone with a MA license that is not a Real ID would fall under this prohibition, but rental car companies aren't screening for it the way they screen for CT and DE. My last driver's license read "not valid for federal identification" even though it wasn't a "drive only license" until I jumped through the Real ID hoops at my last renewal. I have a valid passport, so I could continue to fly.

FL is singling out the two states that currently have a dedicated license for undocumented people.
Interesting... is it only CT and DE that FL is targeting? I ask because VT also offers a "driver's privilege card" which sounds exactly like what you describe.

Interesting... is it only CT and DE that FL is targeting? I ask because VT also offers a "driver's privilege card" which sounds exactly like what you describe.

o Driving Privilege Only
At the bottom of the statement quoted above is this sentence:

This policy applies to any state that issues this type of driver’s license, including Connecticut & Delaware.

Sounds like Budget in FL is supposed to look at all DL’s carefully, and if the DL has any of that verbiage, they’re supposed to refuse the rental.

So I did a little more digging to answer my own question. VT offers 3 types of driver's licenses -- an enhanced driver's license, a Real-ID compliant driver's license or a driver's privilege card. The first two require proof of legal presence or US citizenship. The third states "Not for Real ID Purposes" and is clearly noted as "Not Real ID Compliant" therefore it cannot be used for flying or land border crossings. However, it is available to any VT resident who opts not to provide the additional documentation. Thus VT is not on the FL list of banned IDs; FL's ban is on licenses that are exclusively issued to illegal immigrants.

You guys do understand that the restricted license in Delaware is, according to Delaware, ONLY for driving within Delaware, yes? https://dmv.de.gov/DriverServices/drivers_license/DPC/index.shtml

The Delaware DPC will be considered a valid driver license that the Delaware DMV issues for driving purposes only within the state of Delaware.

And CT recognizes that it might not be valid elsewhere. https://portal.ct.gov/dmv/licenses-permits-ids/get-drive-only-license?language=en_US

The Connecticut drive-only license may be honored in other states. However, you should check with the other state before driving in it.

And CT doesn't accept other states' drive-only licenses to get a CT one.

DMV doesn’t accept out-of-state transfers of drive-only licenses or similar “driving privilege” licenses.

The drive-only licenses are a kindness that some states are doing for driving within their states. No one who has one would expect to be able to use it elsewhere.

And it will be punted again in late 2024 is my bet

I look forward to celebrating the 20th anniversary of the REAL ID act without needing a REAL ID.

My last driver's license read "not valid for federal identification" even though it wasn't a "drive only license" until I jumped through the Real ID hoops at my last renewal. I have a valid passport, so I could continue to fly.

It was delayed fyi. Still don't need one to fly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter