Skipping the baggage check

Tricia's mom

DIS Veteran
anyone have a strategy to skip the baggage check at the parks ?
What do you bring that’s minimal ?
Traveling for a long weekend with DD age 12 .. we always carry so much .. how much do we really need ?
Phone , credit card ... that’s really it .
Any tips ?

anyone have a strategy to skip the baggage check at the parks ?
What do you bring that’s minimal ?
Traveling for a long weekend with DD age 12 .. we always carry so much .. how much do we really need ?
Phone , credit card ... that’s really it .
Any tips ?

Have you thought of attaching a small credit card holder to the back of your phone? There's also many clear and waterproof card holder necklaces that come in handy for anyone, not just those wanting to skip bag check. They can be tucked nicely in your shirt without much bother!

That's really an individual thing. Bag check never really takes that long, so it doesn't bother us too much. Sometimes we do go bagless if we're making a quick trip. In that case, I have my wallet for money needs and phone in pocket. That's all we really "need".

If you plan on buying everything in the parks (water, food, etc) you can get away with very little. A pocket sized container of sunscreen, phones and ID/credit cards.

Depending on the weather, I like a light pullover jacket with a large zipper pouch on the front. It holds a lot and doesn’t count as a bag since it’s a jacket.

That's really an individual thing. Bag check never really takes that long, so it doesn't bother us too much. Sometimes we do go bagless if we're making a quick trip. In that case, I have my wallet for money needs and phone in pocket. That's all we really "need".
Our last trip it took forever!! It was awful , 40 min one morning .

When I go with the kids, we take a backpack that one of us wears so that person waits in bag check and the other person takes the kids through the no bags line. If I am by myself I take my phone and ID. With my MB to charge things to that is all I need.

My phone case already holds my ID, CC, insurance card, DVC, AP, cash, so I just bring that and then we have small packets of sunscreen that my husband puts in his pocket with my pin traders and our fuel rod.

Just remember that if you go through the no bags line you will have to go through the metal detector and take out whatever you have in your pockets, so don't over stuff your pockets.

Our last trip it took forever!! It was awful , 40 min one morning .

I would say if it actually took that long, it's an extreme outlier to the norm. We've been at all different times during the summer, at Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Presidents Day. I think the longest we've waited, even at Xmas, was maybe 10-15 minutes tops. Normally it's under 5 minutes or so.

Don't get me wrong, going bagless is nice, but typically they do a good job with bag check lines.

If you plan on buying everything in the parks (water, food, etc) you can get away with very little. A pocket sized container of sunscreen, phones and ID/credit cards.
Plan on e
I would say if it actually took that long, it's an extreme outlier to the norm. We've been at all different times during the summer, at Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Presidents Day. I think the longest we've waited, even at Xmas, was maybe 10-15 minutes tops. Normally it's under 5 minutes or so.

Don't get me wrong, going bagless is nice, but typically they do a good job with bag check lines.

It was extreme - other mornings it was 15-20 ... I actually just don’t carry that much . Phone , cc . That’s the only necessity.

Just remember that if you go through the no bags line you will have to go through the metal detector and take out whatever you have in your pockets, so don't over stuff your pockets.
Last time they told us just take out anything metal. I took out only my phone. I forgot that my keys were still in my pocket and went thru the metal detector but it didn’t even do anything. So I don’t think you need to remove everything but maybe some gates are different than others.

I’ve never been asked to take anything other than metal out of my pockets, so basically cell phone. And that’s if they even ask me to go through the metal detector, which is probably 15-20% of the time.

Put on a good layer of sunscreen before you leave the room -- splurge on the good stuff.
Wear a hat to keep the sun off your face.
Eat a good breakfast with plenty of protein to keep you going.

Guys: Wear cargo shorts with secure pockets, which can hold your phone (if you consider a phone a necessity -- I'm iffy on that), tickets, cash and credit cards. Put those things into a small ziplock to protect them on water rides.
Ladies: If your pockets aren't enough, find a SMALL wristlet or runner's cuff just big enough for the above items.

If you want, put a pack of crackers in your pocket for a snack.
Plan to pick up free ice free ice water in the parks.
If you're prone to burning, get a fat tube of sunscreen for touch-ups; it's like a fat Chapstick.
If you drive to the parks, consider removing your key from the keychain and shoving it way down in your pocket -- my Honda came with a "valet key" that operates only the ignition and doors (not the trunk, no "clicker"), which is smaller/lighter than my everyday key, and I sometimes carry it in places like theme parks.

This'll all add up to traveling VERY light weight and will make for an easy day.

I always wear cargo shorts, and can pack a significant amount of stuff in the pockets. I don't carry a full size wallet, just a little card wallet with a bit of cash, my license, credit cards, AP etc. Keeping the wallet on the small side leaves more room in the pockets for other necessities.

Phone, wallet, magic band for us. No need for anything else.

we do the cargo pants/shorts thing too. The kids are 14 and 12...so if they want to bring it they carry it in their own pockets.

Question for the women: where are you finding cargo shorts with deep enough pockets for your smartphones? The last pairs I had were from Old Navy many years ago and wore them until they were no longer fit for public display.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter