Skipper Canteen - thoughts?

One of the best meals I've had on-site by far.

I had the Cachapas for starter and the chicken main. The meat was cooked beautifully!!! Seriously so good! And as I'm now a vegetarian you know it must be good hahahaha

I have reservations here for my trip in December but now I'm wondering if I should swap my times with liberty tree tavern. I booked Skipper canteen for our last day and I'm thinking I may need to move it up to more of a prime spot at the beginning of my trip. I've never been. It's been a while since we've eaten at liberty tree tavern though. Decisions.

eta: I solved my own problem by moving Skipper to a dinner early in the week and keeping the LTT lunch. Yay, me!

Last edited:
We had a great time here. The service staff was friendly and efficient, while the food was excellent. I was disappointed that they didn't have lionfish, but the deep fried whole yellowtail snapper was quite good.

My husband loved it, however, I wasn't crazy about it. It was a late lunch reservation, and I was still full from breakfast so maybe that was my problem? We're going back in September at my husband's request.

Skipper's Canteen was our best MK meal on our last trip and close to one of our best overall dining experiences for the trip. The menu can be a bit intimidating for non adventurous eaters (which I put myself in the category), but there are a few less exotic type meals on the menu to satisfy that and the service we had was amazing.

WE really enjoyed the food. DH had the Char Siu pork and I had the lamb. Both were delicious! Our server wasn't very 'punny', but we were OK with that. The service was fine, neither extraordinary nor terrible. The biggest problem was that he was rarely available so we had to wait for a couple of small issues to be resolved. Overall, we enjoyed the meal and will be back again on our next visit.

I am trying to decided between Ohana breakfast or Skippers lunch!!

Skippers lunch hands down. We found Ohana pretty disappointing though. Characters were fun but food options were no better than what we get at resort quick service restaurants.

Been twice. It was good wasn't great. I hate the big canteen hall but enjoyed the smaller rooms. I don't see myself rushing back, it was pricey when your sides are just rice or broccoli, things I can get at QS.

I had the single best encounter with any cast member ever here. I was there alone (no one else in my family wanted to go) so I was looking around while my food was being prepared. My skipper noticed I was interested and we started talking about the history of the Jungle Cruse and the Adventurer's Club. He then took me on a tour of the entire place, showing me all the little details and hidden jokes and references to the AC, all while staying in character.

After the great tour I asked if there was any Skipper's Canteen merchandise available to buy. He told me there wasn't but would get me something. He comes back with a free dessert, and "Honorary Skipper" pin, a Canteen coaster signed by him with "Kungaloosh!" on it... and a golden FP to use anywhere on property! We took a picture together and I told him it was one of the best experiences I've ever had at Disney.
that's awesome!

One of my favorite meals on my last trip. My sister and I shared the cachapas, the cold sesame noodle salad and the falafel. Delicious and just the right amount. We told the waitress we wanted to linger with a glass of wine, and she was totally cool about it. Have reservations here again for the next trip in August. Really, for me, the best place to eat in MK.

Is Skipper's Canteen a TS restaurant where you have to make an ADR?

It's a good idea if you are sure BUT we did do walk up to it both times I went, and several times DS went. Last time was in May.

I looked at the menu and they seem to have removed some of the more interesting items. IF one was to choose between the lamb chops, the pasta or the chicken... what would those of you who have enjoyed the restaurant pick?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter