• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skipper Canteen or Be Our Guest for lunch?

Harmony407

Earning My Ears
Hello all! I am deciding between lunch at Be Our Guest vs Skipper Canteen. 3-4 family group with a child. When we had traveled to Disney in 2013 I had REALLY wanted to do Be Our Guest, but didn't know anything about reservations, etc. That was never a thing we did when I used to go with family as a child. I am unsure if I will regret not going to Be Our Guest but also don't want to be severely disappointed due to the price and menu selection. Skipper Canteen just looks FUN and different. We won't have time (or inclination) for both. So if you had to choose, which would you choose and why?

Thank you!

I realize there are mixed reviews, but be our guest was our favorite meal!

Not sure if I’d do it every trip due to cost, but I highly recommend it!

Be Our Guest gets my vote. I love everything about it. Skippers is okay. Theming is absolutely incredible. Food was good but nothing spectacular. You can't go wrong with either one. Pick the one that will make you the happiest.

Last edited:
Haven't done either for lunch but had good experiences at both for dinner.
At BoG, we prefer one of the side rooms rather than the noisy main room.
If you really wanted to do BoG previously, I would do that.

Everyone should do BOG once. It is a unique Disney experience in a captivating setting. Skipper has great food and is fun, but is not as much of an “event” meal as BOG. You really cannot go wrong with either.

I don’t plan to go again until they get rid of the pre fixe. However in your situation, you should definitely do BOG. Also from experience imo do not wait for the beasts room. Too dark in there and very repetitive, best to just walk in and see it. I would wait for the rose gallery though.

Guess I’m in the minority here, but I would definitely choose SC.

BOG is nice, but unless you’re a big fan of Beauty and the Beast the theming overpowers everything else.

SC is far more fun and far less rushed to me, and the food is better and a better value. Besides, I’m a sucker for Jungle Cruise humor and all the absolutely brilliant artifacts and book titles throughout.

We've never eaten at BOG as the prix fixe menu doesn't interest us. It's too much heavy food for a MK day for our tastes, and I just don't want to pay that price for food I don't really want. I'd love to go if they ever bring back the a la carte lunch menu, though. But if you want that much food and don't mind the price, it's probably more of an "event" than Skipper Canteen.

All that being said, we love Skipper Canteen and eat there almost every trip. The food is really good and more to our tastes, the theming is fun and the CM's are usually a hoot. It all just depends on what you're looking for.

I would definitely base my decision on the menus. I have been to BOG multiple times and for the Price they are charging the experience falls flat. I am usually seated in the music box room and I couldn't get past the fact they didn’t even bother to try to hide the whole self-serve area that used to be used for lunch and breakfast.

Skipper's Canteen!! I love it!! And I LOVE that I can get gluten-free fried chicken!!! My only quibble with Skipper's is I wish they had a "no whole fried fish zone" because it kinda ruins the meal for me to see that whole fish with peely eyeballs get set on the table next to me.

The pricey fixed menu they now have for lunch at BOG means we won't be eating there again. Ate there for lunch in 2019 under the old menu and we found both the food and the setting to be underwhelming. Not sure why it seems so popular with many. It is also toward the back of the park with one popular ride nearby. Seems like a long way to walk for an expensive meal.

Haven't been back to bog since the fixed price menu. Can't justify the price, but we have already ate there. We did try skipper canteen for the first time last summer and the food was amazing. My son who is less adventurous, ordered the steak and said his vegetables were so good, if I could learn how to cook them like that he would eat more of them, lol. I would request one of the smaller rooms at check-in.

I loved both, but BoG is a really long meal, I haven’t ever gotten out of there in under 90 minutes, and closer to 2 hours. I would base my choice on how long I was planning to eat for, how much park time I’m trying to use up.

We've tried BoG a couple of times & we found it to be OK. We recently dined @ SC and thoroughly enjoyed it, from the food to the wait staff.

I really miss the old lunch menu at BOG where you could just walk up. I'd say unless you were looking for a real Dining Experience (with a price tag to match) go with Skipper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter