• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skiplagging

Perhaps he also didn't know the procedures for check-in which is why he went to the counter.
Why would the parent NOT tell him the procedure? I could (almost*) understand if the kid had no one to advise him on how flying works, but he has a father who (according to the original article) "regularly" flies.

*almost because even if there's not a parent to advise, I can't imagine a new flyer not talking to friends, coworkers, teachers, whoever, for advice.

Does that apply when the "minor" is 16? The unaccompanied minor program is optional once they hit 15.

It applies up until they turn 18. My son flies frequently alone. He attended boarding school for high school. He had never been able to checkin with Delta online or at the kiosk. He always had to go to the ticket counter to checkin. Since Delta and JetBlue were the only 2 airlines with direct flights between my airport and his boarding school airport, he switched to JetBlue because of this issue. He recently had to fly Delta to a third city on his 18th birthday. The website would not let him checkin online the day before, when he was 17 years, 364 days old. After midnight, when he was 18 years, 0 days, he had no problem checking in online.

If I have a coupon for a burger and fries for $7.99 and a burger is normally $8.99, is the restaurant going to ban me for not eating the fries? Of course not.
The burger place is not getting a subsidy from another corporation or government entity based on the number of fries consumed though. American is likely getting a subsidy from the Charlotte airport authority or local government based on how many people fly in to Charlotte and how many people fly out of Charlotte. Their pricing of the young man's itinerary reflected that subsidy. Once he abandons the second leg, the airline's subsidy and therefore revenue, gets put in jeopardy.

If a McDonalds restaurant was getting a $100K subsidy each month for hitting a french fry consumption target, you better believe that they would be making you eat all those fries you bought.

So if someone feels ill and doesn't want to continue on with the journey, they have to anyhow? Or gets an emergency call to turn around and fly home immediately, they can't? Or the plane seats are so narrow and close together that the passenger gets claustrophobia and just needs to bolt and take a train instead? They have to continue their itinerary?
H'mmm...
That would be a rare occurrence. It’s never happened to me but did happen to DH once years ago. He simply told the agent at the connection that he was ill and couldn’t continue. If it happens and you tell them, all is well.
Depends on what it is, but this is really just a matter of paying for the ticket. They don't want passengers to deliberately book this way with the intention of throwing out travel segment and getting around their fare structure.

If you're sick or you complain, I guess it's possible to tell someone and they'll make note of it. Obviously a passenger who repeatedly does this could be blacklisted by the airline, although in this case he was blacklisted before he had a chance to do it.

In this case they suspected that this passenger was going to do it and then cancelled the ticket (I believe with a refund) before he boarded. That's generally within the conditions of carriage.
This whole thread made me curious so I’ve read several articles. The dad admits that he has been doing this for 5-8 years using the skiplagging website. I’m betting that AA had finally flagged his account because of the frequency. Dad bought the ticket on his account and triggered what occurred. I looked at the website and they clearly warn against doing it often, connecting the ticket to FF accounts, and so on. https://support.skiplagged.com/hc/e...87-What-is-Skiplagging-or-hidden-city-flying-
The ethics come in to play because when you purchase a plane ticket, you agree to NOT do this.

Why would someone go to the ticket counter if they didn't have to check their luggage? Do people not check in/print BP from homes or hotels? Or use a mobile app? Why wait in a line when you don't have to?
Every time I fly I’m amazed at the number of people adding to the hassle of air travel by lining up to check baggage, have an agent print a boarding pass, or even just waiting for a turn at a print kiosk. I put it down to inexperienced travelers in a stressful environment wanting human support.

We rarely check baggage preferring to quickly clear the airport rather than wait for luggage. If we need to check we do it at the curb- well worth the tip. As for boarding passes, having it on your phone is just one less thing to keep up with.

Why would the parent NOT tell him the procedure? I could (almost*) understand if the kid had no one to advise him on how flying works, but he has a father who (according to the original article) "regularly" flies.

*almost because even if there's not a parent to advise, I can't imagine a new flyer not talking to friends, coworkers, teachers, whoever, for advice.
I agree with you in this circumstance. Even now I will talk with my kids when they are facing a new situation.

One time I was flying home and a young man was in the line to check baggage but all he had was a backpack. He asked me if this was a line he needed to be in. I said if you aren’t checking a bag, you can go straight to security. He thanked me. He seemed nervous but I thought it was sweet. He reminded me of my son. In any case, the kid in the story might have been a little nervous and asked someone to make sure he was following the proper procedure. That may have triggered the questions.

I agree with you in this circumstance. Even now I will talk with my kids when they are facing a new situation.

One time I was flying home and a young man was in the line to check baggage but all he had was a backpack. He asked me if this was a line he needed to be in. I said if you aren’t checking a bag, you can go straight to security. He thanked me. He seemed nervous but I thought it was sweet. He reminded me of my son. In any case, the kid in the story might have been a little nervous and asked someone to make sure he was following the proper procedure. That may have triggered the questions.
The kid knew that he was to get off the plane and exit in Charlotte so dad did tell him a procedure. He may have skipped telling him that he was breaking the rules. Dad admits doing it often without consequence so I think he was comfortable that nothing would happen.

If the kid was returning home, he may not have had a way to print the boarding pass ahead of time. Before the days of checking in and getting it on your phone, I sometimes didn’t take time out of my vacation to use a hotel printer to print boarding passes. We just printed them at the airport unless we were on SW and needed to claim a boarding position.

Why would someone go to the ticket counter if they didn't have to check their luggage? Do people not check in/print BP from homes or hotels? Or use a mobile app? Why wait in a line when you don't have to?
I always get a boarding pass printed at the airport. I don't want to hand my phone to anybody, what happens if your phone dies, crashes, or you don't have service? I never print a BP at home or hotel, waste of time when I'm going to the airport anyway, they are in inconvienient size, and some airports won't let you through security with them. I believe it was SFO, that won't let you through with an 8x11 paper, has to digital boarding pass or BP printed at the counter.

The burger place is not getting a subsidy from another corporation or government entity based on the number of fries consumed though. American is likely getting a subsidy from the Charlotte airport authority or local government based on how many people fly in to Charlotte and how many people fly out of Charlotte. Their pricing of the young man's itinerary reflected that subsidy. Once he abandons the second leg, the airline's subsidy and therefore revenue, gets put in jeopardy.
Stop with the subsidy nonsense. AA is not getting a subsidy per passenger from CLT for adding connecting traffic but not O&D. Subsidies are almost always paid out by the federal government in a process called EAS, Essential Air Service. No chance any of the three airports involved in this story have EAS service. I've explained twice in this thread why the ticket to JFK would be cheaper than the ticket to CLT.

I always get a boarding pass printed at the airport. I don't want to hand my phone to anybody, what happens if your phone dies, crashes, or you don't have service? I never print a BP at home or hotel, waste of time when I'm going to the airport anyway, they are in inconvienient size, and some airports won't let you through security with them. I believe it was SFO, that won't let you through with an 8x11 paper, has to digital boarding pass or BP printed at the counter.
When I use printed boarding passes (from home or hotel), I fold the 8x11 into thirds. Worst case, tear the other 2/3 off the paper. I haven't had to hand my phone over to any one else in a while. *IF* TSA needs to see a BP (I'm noticing more and more just want the ID), I hold my phone over the scanner. Same as when I'm at the gate and scanning to get on the plane.

Now, I will say, we stayed at a hotel last weekend that had a "business center", but no printer. This hotel was 30 minutes from CVG, so I was a little surprised. I needed to print some sheets for DD's wedding, went to another nearby hotel (where I'm a member), they let me in the business center, but their computers weren't working (no internet). Also looked like the printer was in some kind of error mode.

My mom ended up asking the front desk of the hotel we were staying at to print her BP (she doesn't like using her phone as BP). I had to walk the clerk through the Delta website to be able to print the BP.

I don't understand the "waste of time" for printing at home/hotel vs waiting in line at an airport. There's not always self serve kiosks and there's not always outside check ins.

Skiplagging: I never knew this was against policy. I've done it. Never thought I was cheating.

My sister and I would fly from CA to FL to visit our cousins. First time I was 12, she was 9. Did it three years in a row, Our parents dropped us off and out Uncle would pick us up. I flew alone three times when I was 16.

Skiplagging: I never knew this was against policy. I've done it. Never thought I was cheating.

My sister and I would fly from CA to FL to visit our cousins. First time I was 12, she was 9. Did it three years in a row, Our parents dropped us off and out Uncle would pick us up. I flew alone three times when I was 16.
Just to clarify, skiplagging and unaccompanied minor are two different things. I'm guessing you know that and just had two different thoughts, but wanted to make sure.

Stop with the subsidy nonsense. AA is not getting a subsidy per passenger from CLT for adding connecting traffic but not O&D. Subsidies are almost always paid out by the federal government in a process called EAS, Essential Air Service. No chance any of the three airports involved in this story have EAS service. I've explained twice in this thread why the ticket to JFK would be cheaper than the ticket to CLT.
I have never handed my phone to anyone. They have you hold it up to be scanned or you place it face down. Your license or passport is all I’ve ever handed over. I always screen shot it and add it to my wallet just in case I had a loss of service. It’s never happened.

The extra line at the airport seems like more of a time waster.

I have never handed my phone to anyone. They have you hold it up to be scanned or you place it face down. Your license or passport is all I’ve ever handed over. I always screen shot it and add it to my wallet just in case I had a loss of service. It’s never happened.
I did have a time period where my phone would go wonky and the screen would black out. The phone wouldn't shutdown but it would be problematic to get the screen to display. I brought printed BP for that trip and used them for at least one flight.

The kid knew that he was to get off the plane and exit in Charlotte so dad did tell him a procedure. He may have skipped telling him that he was breaking the rules. Dad admits doing it often without consequence so I think he was comfortable that nothing would happen.

If the kid was returning home, he may not have had a way to print the boarding pass ahead of time. Before the days of checking in and getting it on your phone, I sometimes didn’t take time out of my vacation to use a hotel printer to print boarding passes. We just printed them at the airport unless we were on SW and needed to claim a boarding position.
Yup. Then the kid could honestly tell anyone who questioned him about how he was ticketed that he had no idea.
And things change at airlines too, changes that some of the airline staff don't know aobut. We had a flight that went through Denver on United. Got on in Houston and the agent who checked us in had to reissue our tickets and seat assignments because they had recently changed the type of aircraft they were using, AND we no longer were changing planes in Denver, we were to stay on the plane and it would continue on to Sacramento. Everything was fine, landed in Denver and we stayed in our seats. Local agent came on the plane when it landed and repeated that notice, "going on to Sacramento, this is your plane, do not get off the plane". Plane is empty except for the 4 or us and an unattended child. Flight attendants, carrying their luggage come to us and ask us if we are getting off. "No, we are on the continuation of this flight to Sacramento, the agent in Houston said stay on this plane, and the announcement after we landed said the same thing". The woman who appeared to be the Senior Flight Attendant slammed her luggage down in a seat and said "let me check" and got off the plane. She got back on and clearly was not happy. "He's correct, this flight does not terminate here, it goes on to Sacramento" Apparently that is an important difference, because if a flight terminates, and ground crew comes on to trash plane.......if it continues, the Flight Attendants have to trash the plane. They start trashing the plane and the same senior flight attendant asks me if I could have my "other" child move over to where we could supervise him. "I have no idea who that child is, not part of my family". Only then did they realize that they had an Unattended Minor on board for an entire flight, and apparently there is some process or paperwork that has to be done and they had not done.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, skiplagging and unaccompanied minor are two different things. I'm guessing you know that and just had two different thoughts, but wanted to make sure.
Yes. Both are being discused so I chose to weigh in on both. I apologize for the confusion.

When I use printed boarding passes (from home or hotel), I fold the 8x11 into thirds. Worst case, tear the other 2/3 off the paper. I haven't had to hand my phone over to any one else in a while. *IF* TSA needs to see a BP (I'm noticing more and more just want the ID), I hold my phone over the scanner. Same as when I'm at the gate and scanning to get on the plane.

Now, I will say, we stayed at a hotel last weekend that had a "business center", but no printer. This hotel was 30 minutes from CVG, so I was a little surprised. I needed to print some sheets for DD's wedding, went to another nearby hotel (where I'm a member), they let me in the business center, but their computers weren't working (no internet). Also looked like the printer was in some kind of error mode.

My mom ended up asking the front desk of the hotel we were staying at to print her BP (she doesn't like using her phone as BP). I had to walk the clerk through the Delta website to be able to print the BP.

I don't understand the "waste of time" for printing at home/hotel vs waiting in line at an airport. There's not always self serve kiosks and there's not always outside check ins.
I had a similar experience at a Hampton inn at Jacksonville airport. No business center to print boarding pass. The desk clerk printed it for me but it was very small so the agent at the baggage check printed me a new one. Now I use the app for boarding passes.

That would be a rare occurrence. It’s never happened to me but did happen to DH once years ago. He simply told the agent at the connection that he was ill and couldn’t continue. If it happens and you tell them, all is well.

This whole thread made me curious so I’ve read several articles. The dad admits that he has been doing this for 5-8 years using the skiplagging website. I’m betting that AA had finally flagged his account because of the frequency. Dad bought the ticket on his account and triggered what occurred. I looked at the website and they clearly warn against doing it often, connecting the ticket to FF accounts, and so on. https://support.skiplagged.com/hc/e...87-What-is-Skiplagging-or-hidden-city-flying-

Every time I fly I’m amazed at the number of people adding to the hassle of air travel by lining up to check baggage, have an agent print a boarding pass, or even just waiting for a turn at a print kiosk. I put it down to inexperienced travelers in a stressful environment wanting human support.

We rarely check baggage preferring to quickly clear the airport rather than wait for luggage. If we need to check we do it at the curb- well worth the tip. As for boarding passes, having it on your phone is just one less thing to keep up with.

I've never done that for air travel before, so I don't have a record of even being sick.

I admit that I hadn't really brushed up on the details, so if I missed something and made an assumption - sorry about it.

It's been noted in some of the articles/blog posts on this incident that there may be subsidies that at least reduce the cost of a complete ticket with multiple segments. Sometimes it's hub and spoke with a transfer, while other times it's a direct flight with a stop, which I've done a few times. I believe airlines might also be concerned with taxes and fees.

I do worry about how I've taken advantage of travel promotions that might be subsidized, although often I've read the fine print where there's no requirement to attend a specific event. Heck - some of those promotions were for travel that wasn't even around event day.

The extra line at the airport seems like more of a time waster.
I have used a digital boarding pass, but prefer paper. I'd always forget to turn off screen rotation and turn up the brightness before going through, so it would never scan on the first try.

We considered doing this last fall but only because we had an international flight on 2 separate reservations. One reservation from our local airport to NYC and then from NYC overseas. They changed our flight schedule so drastically that the last version ended up getting us to NYC 6 hours after our overseas flight took off. Even though it was the same airline and they could see both reservations they claimed that as the schedule change didn't affect the second flight they wouldn't do anything for us.

Because the first reservation was booked using a companion certificate that further complicated matters. At one point the airline offered to let us fly out of a hub 5 hours away but claimed due to the companion certificate we would still have to fly in to our local airport. We briefly considered booking it that way and then just skipping the last leg and getting off where our car was but decided to just scrap the whole thing and rebook on one reservation to and from the hub. It seems that was a good decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter