Skiplagging

So if someone feels ill and doesn't want to continue on with the journey, they have to anyhow? Or gets an emergency call to turn around and fly home immediately, they can't? Or the plane seats are so narrow and close together that the passenger gets claustrophobia and just needs to bolt and take a train instead? They have to continue their itinerary?
H'mmm...
Or you saw the pilot and he looks like he doesn’t know how to fly…. Literally any excuse and the airlines have no leg to stand on. Which is why I say the rules are mumbo jumbo….. 🥱

Maybe the kid checked in online or at an airport kiosk to get a boarding pass. The first meeting with airline employees may have been at the gate. TSA wouldn’t care where his ID was from as long as it was valid.
I always check in online. The only times I've been asked to show ID to an airline employee is either at the check in desk while checking luggage (which you can't do when skip lagging because the bags get tagged to the final destination), OR showing a passport to the gate agent when going on an international trip (this was domestic).

My examples are all with Delta. Maybe American is different?

So if someone feels ill and doesn't want to continue on with the journey, they have to anyhow? Or gets an emergency call to turn around and fly home immediately, they can't? Or the plane seats are so narrow and close together that the passenger gets claustrophobia and just needs to bolt and take a train instead? They have to continue their itinerary?
H'mmm...
Not the same at all because for me it was a non-stop flight to my designation but I was headed to Disney on an early flight and developed.... well, lets call it "gastrointestinal issues". I handed by boarding pass to the gate agent and said "I'm not going to make it" and left. Their only question was if I had checked bags (No) and they thanked me for letting them know.

But if I had a checked bag and intentionally skipped my flight, they would have had to pull the bag for security reasons. The problem with skipping your connection is that it holds up the flight while they call for the missing passenger and then have to verify that they have no checked bag.

If you have to miss the flight for one of the reasons you provided, no harm, no foul, just let them know. If you use it as a way to pay less for airfare, make sure you do not book the flight with you FF account attached.

Sure. They have no authority to "detain" anyone like someone accidentally bringing a weapon in luggage. It sounds to me like he was told his ticket was being cancelled and they went somewhere to discuss why.

The conditions of carriage typically include that they can always issue a full refund at the airline's discretion and cancel the ticket.
In this scenario there was no requirement for AA to refund the ticket. In AA's CoC it specifically lists hidden city ticketing as a reason they can cancel your ticket with no refund due. https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp It's under "Ticket Validity" Delta has similar language in theirs that amounts to the same thing.

I always check in online. The only times I've been asked to show ID to an airline employee is either at the check in desk while checking luggage (which you can't do when skip lagging because the bags get tagged to the final destination), OR showing a passport to the gate agent when going on an international trip (this was domestic).

My examples are all with Delta. Maybe American is different?

The reporting on this is inconsistent, which is to be expected.

In this scenario there was no requirement for AA to refund the ticket. In AA's CoC it specifically lists hidden city ticketing as a reason they can cancel your ticket with no refund due. https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp It's under "Ticket Validity" Delta has similar language in theirs that amounts to the same thing.

Cancelling with a full refund is generally easier though. At that point he hadn't even travelled yet and all they had was a suspicion that he was going to make it a hidden city trip.

Cancelling with a full refund is generally easier though. At that point he hadn't even travelled yet and all they had was a suspicion that he was going to make it a hidden city trip.
Easier for who? First, you're only going to get a full refund if you booked a refundable fair, otherwise it will just be credit.

Second, I don't think the airline, once they find out about the skiplagging, is going to be willing to give a full refund. Why should they?

Third, there was no reason for the teen to ask about a refund because he thought what he was doing was fine (presumably).

Easier for who? First, you're only going to get a full refund if you booked a refundable fair, otherwise it will just be credit.

Second, I don't think the airline, once they find out about the skiplagging, is going to be willing to give a full refund. Why should they?

Third, there was no reason for the teen to ask about a refund because he thought what he was doing was fine (presumably).

The issue is that this passenger hadn't done anything yet other than present a North Carolina ID with a ticket to NYC. At that point all they had was a suspicion. To deny him future travel/bookings - the airline could do whatever they want on a suspicion because they have no obligation to provide travel to anyone. But to cancel a ticket on a mere suspicion is something that I'd think is a bit harder to do because it's already been paid for, but refunding the ticket would seem to be something they could justify - with or without proof of malfeasance.

The issue is that this passenger hadn't done anything yet other than present a North Carolina ID with a ticket to NYC. At that point all they had was a suspicion. To deny him future travel/bookings - the airline could do whatever they want on a suspicion because they have no obligation to provide travel to anyone. But to cancel a ticket on a mere suspicion is something that I'd think is a bit harder to do because it's already been paid for, but refunding the ticket would seem to be something they could justify - with or without proof of malfeasance.
You're assuming. The whole story will never be told but what has been reported was that the passenger went to check in at the counter and showed a NC DL. Counter agent reasonably asked why he was flying from FL to NY if he had a NC DL. Passenger admits that they were planning on abandoning the trip at CLT. That's not mere suspicion. Ticket should have been canceled and if they want to fly GNV-CLT they can buy a full Y fare.

You're assuming. The whole story will never be told but what has been reported was that the passenger went to check in at the counter and showed a NC DL. Counter agent reasonably asked why he was flying from FL to NY if he had a NC DL. Passenger admits that they were planning on abandoning the trip at CLT. That's not mere suspicion. Ticket should have been canceled and if they want to fly GNV-CLT they can buy a full Y fare.
Is it reasonable to ask why he was flying from FL to NY if he had a NC DL? I fly to/from states in which I do not hold a DL all the time, and I've never been questioned about it. To be fair, I usually fly direct so there's no chance of skiplagging. I'm not sure that flying to/from states that are not the same state the passenger holds a DL is reasonable cause for suspicion of skiplagging.

Of course, the gate agent is free to ask, and once the passenger admitted what he was doing that's not suspicion anymore. I'm just still fuzzy on why the agent asked in the first place.

I'm just still fuzzy on why the agent asked in the first place.
I totally agree. It really doesn't make sense.

You have to present your ID when checking luggage. Do you have to do so if you gate check? Maybe they ran out of room in the overhead bins, he hasn't boarded yet, and has to gate check the carry on. Maybe that's when the gate agent saw a NC DL?

I'm not buying the "gate agent overheard" him saying he has a ticket to NY but getting off in NC. How would that come up in conversation?

It's not illegal, but the airlines don't like it and can mess with your status or future flights. I might be willing to try it on a return journey on an airline I don't care about status with. Keep in mind connections can always change too.

It does highlight how messed up flight prices are. I can fly to New York, then fly from there, connect in my hometown, and get to Tokyo for hundreds less than a direct flight for my home airport. Delta is willingly giving me a seat on 4 additional legs and burning way more fuel while charging me less.

Really odd to see people claiming this is an ethical issue. Airlines set the pricing model. Customers are just buying the product from them and deciding how much of the product they want to use.

If I have a coupon for a burger and fries for $7.99 and a burger is normally $8.99, is the restaurant going to ban me for not eating the fries? Of course not.

Is it reasonable to ask why he was flying from FL to NY if he had a NC DL? I fly to/from states in which I do not hold a DL all the time, and I've never been questioned about it. To be fair, I usually fly direct so there's no chance of skiplagging. I'm not sure that flying to/from states that are not the same state the passenger holds a DL is reasonable cause for suspicion of skiplagging.

Of course, the gate agent is free to ask, and once the passenger admitted what he was doing that's not suspicion anymore. I'm just still fuzzy on why the agent asked in the first place.

Probably because the flight he was on had a stop in NC.
Personally, I fly non-stop flights, even if it's cheaper to have one with a connection elsewhere.

I've been asked multiple times if I'm headed somewhere for business or pleasure when I check in at the counter. He may have said he was heading home. This was at the ticket counter, not the gate according to the secondary reporting I've seen. Could also just have seemed odd to the counter agent that he was flying past home, could have been that the agents have been directed to ask.

Really odd to see people claiming this is an ethical issue. Airlines set the pricing model. Customers are just buying the product from them and deciding how much of the product they want to use.

If I have a coupon for a burger and fries for $7.99 and a burger is normally $8.99, is the restaurant going to ban me for not eating the fries? Of course not.
I see not lying and doing the things you agreed to as ethical issues. By purchasing the ticket you agree you are going to fly all segments. In my opinion, by not flying all segments you agreed to, you are being unethical.

You have to present your ID when checking luggage. Do you have to do so if you gate check? Maybe they ran out of room in the overhead bins, he hasn't boarded yet, and has to gate check the carry on. Maybe that's when the gate agent saw a NC DL?

I'm not buying the "gate agent overheard" him saying he has a ticket to NY but getting off in NC. How would that come up in conversation?
Yes you do have to present an ID when gate checking. If this would have been the scenario it would have been very obvious as he would have not allowed them to gate check his bag as it would have gone to NY without him. I've seen secondary reporting that it was the ticket counter when checking in for the flight, not the gate where this happened.

The ethics come in to play because when you purchase a plane ticket, you agree to NOT do this.
I've seen secondary reporting that it was the ticket counter when checking in for the flight, not the gate where this happened.
Why would someone go to the ticket counter if they didn't have to check their luggage? Do people not check in/print BP from homes or hotels? Or use a mobile app? Why wait in a line when you don't have to?

Yes, it might be reasonable to ask that question because his DL indicated he lived in or near the connecting airport. Airlines are attempting to crack down on hidden city ticketing and his DL raised suspicion.

Of course there are legitimate reasons for such an itinerary. “I was visiting Grandma in Gainesville and now I’m going to see Aunt Sally in New York.” But when questioned he admitted he was skiplagging.

Perhaps he also didn't know the procedures for check-in which is why he went to the counter. If he clearly looked like a minor traveling alone doesn't surprise me that check-in desk might ask a few more questions. If he also seemed nervous likely made them more suspicious what was going on.

Why would someone go to the ticket counter if they didn't have to check their luggage? Do people not check in/print BP from homes or hotels? Or use a mobile app? Why wait in a line when you don't have to?
Some airlines don't allow minors who are flying alone to checkin without seeing a ticket agent. I know Delta doesn't.

Some airlines don't allow minors who are flying alone to checkin without seeing a ticket agent. I know Delta doesn't.
Does that apply when the "minor" is 16? The unaccompanied minor program is optional once they hit 15.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter