• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skip the parks on July 4th?

ICan'tWait

Mouseketeer
We're arriving from the west coast on July 3rd. So far I've scheduled July
4th as a park day with July 6th as our mid week "down' day. I'm wondering with the crowds and time change adjustment if it would be better to give up having a mid week "down" day in exchange for just hanging out at the resort on the 4th. Opinions??

I would just stay at the resort on the 4th. I went once on the 4th and would not recommend it.

We love the 4th in a park! We arrive on the 3rd and go to MK because the 4th firworks there are the 3rd and 4th. The 4th is spent at Epcot because I love seeing VOL at the America Gardens plus the special 4th tag on the end of Illuminations is BREATHTAKING!!! Yes, the parks are crowded and hot, but we do what we can and just enjoy the festivities.

I don't know what resort you are staying at but we were at GF 2 years ago for the 4th and watched the fireworks from there-it was really nice.We stayed away from the parks that day-it was just too hot to deal for us.We ordered room service(it was really crazy busy) and then went down and watched the show.The next morning we went to MK around 10 and it was dead-we walked on everything till around noon and I think it was even a weekend.

I know opinions will vary, but the 4th of July almost killed our love of Disney before it started. It was crazy. I do have admit it was our first ever trip and were part of the crew that was not well prepared.

I bet if you have a decent plan, and decent goals for what you want to do, it could be fun. Hot and crowded can both be pretty much a sure bet.

We always try to make it there for the 4th. It's a little crowded but it's never been that bad. We also do Magic Kingdom on the 3rd. This year we will spend the 4th at Hollywood. It may not be for everyon but we love it!:smickey:

What is VOL?

Have any of you ever experienced Epcot closing down due to crowds on 4th of July?

I heard there will be fireworks at DTD this year- anyone ever do this? Can you comment on the fireworks? Crowds?

For vacations 4 or more Disney park days long:

Do not schedule, plan, or shoot for July 5 or July 6 as an off day.

If the crowds did not chase you out of the park on July 4 early, then you can take July 6 as an off day if desired or in order to recuperate.

It cost you only three dollars per person to take a peek in a park on the 4'th.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/dispass.htm

I think it's entirely personal. We went to EPCOT on 4th July and it was totally fine. It did get busy at night towards the time of the fireworks, but so do all the parks. However epcot didnt do anything to celebrate the fact that it was 4th July so I think MK may have been better, if busier.
I would however definitely recommend going to the parks on 5th July. We didn't stay that late on the 4th July so we were able to be at the park at a reasonable time on the 5th. We went to DHS and it was so quiet. We were able to walk on to all the rides for the whole morning and it only picked up a little bit in the afternoon. Think everyone else had a late night partying the night before and we took full advantage of it.

I went on the 3rd and it was insanity, I'm not sure I would ever go on the 4th. Maybe the other parks would be ok but MK was nuts.

The 4th of July music and fireworks is awesome so if you can see them from the Poly beach or somewhere else, it's worth seeing. I don't know if you can hear the music from there, I haven't gone to watch from their beach before.

I agree that it is a personal choice. We have been the last few years over the 4th of July. We avoid the parks as we feel it is just too crowded. Big crowds + the Heat means that everyone is just a little less patient. The kids complain a little more and we are quicker to snap (because we're just as hot and tired).

We stay at DVC properties. There's always lot's of activities at the resort. I'm not sure if this is exclusive to DVC resorts. The kids can participate in pool games/contests, watermelon eating contests, free popcorn and slushies, etc...

We watch the fireworks from the Polynesian. They pipe in the music from the fireworks. Plus they do the electric water parade which is a nice touch.

Whatever you decide to do, just give yourself plenty of time. Traffic, crowds, parking is always busy on the 4th.

We're arriving from the west coast on July 3rd. So far I've scheduled July
4th as a park day with July 6th as our mid week "down' day. I'm wondering with the crowds and time change adjustment if it would be better to give up having a mid week "down" day in exchange for just hanging out at the resort on the 4th. Opinions??

IMO, I would not go to the parks on July 4th. It will be packed to the max. You will not be able to do what you would like you would have to follow where the crowd is going.

What is VOL?

Have any of you ever experienced Epcot closing down due to crowds on 4th of July?

I heard there will be fireworks at DTD this year- anyone ever do this? Can you comment on the fireworks? Crowds?
We went to Epcot about 5 years ago on the 4th, MK was closed by 4, and I think we heard DS was closed around 6. Epcot closed around 7:30. This is based on what CM were saying. We were never turned away. We were in Epcot by 4:00. If you plan on being there for rides forget about it lines were long. We went for the fireworks. Epcot did have an extended version of IRoE, and it was very good. By about 7:00 people were actually putting down blankets as far as 5 or 6 rows back from the water. we were in an area between Mexico and the entrance to WS, and walking through there was single file. All the drink carts around us, were out of drinks before it dark.We had a great time. we go to the parks often, so for us it was exciting to see Epcot in such a crowded way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter