• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Size of Refrigerator needed for insulin

off2disney

<font color=teal>When I try to sing with the radio
Can anyone tell me the size of the refrigerator requested for storing insulin? I have recently gone on insulin and had my TA request a room at WL with a refrigerator. She said she had entered the request on my reservation, that it would be a "small" refrigerator for medical use (probably at no charge) but how small is small? Will it be big enough to hold a few diet soft drinks and bottled water? I am thinking of bringing some of my own to keep from having to buy it in the parks.

We haven't stayed at WL but at the Polynesian, GF and BC the refrigerators are dorm size so certainly big enough to hold some cold drinks or cheese and fruit, etc.. We always have some Diet Rite for our son in them...when we can find it. Diet coke otherwise.

The dorm size refrigerators are the type that people report getting (whether they are renting a frig or getting one free of charge for medical use). Refrigerators used to free if needed for medical reasons, but a few years ago people were reporting being charged no matter what their medical need was. The explanation was that since people knew there was no chage if it was a medical need, people were saying they had medical needs just to get the free frig, so WDW was charging everyone. Lately, people have been reporting that if there is insulin or other medications that need to be kept cold, they were not charged.
If you want to store insulin in a cool place in the parks, First Aid in any of the parks can store it for you (although some posters have pointed out that it may not be convenient if you are not in that area of the park when it's needed).

Depending on the hotel, they will set up either a 1.5 or 4 cubit foot refrigerator. There is more than enough room to store the insulin, as well as some sodas, juices and/or milk.

A word of warning -- Check the thermostat. The last two refrigerators I got were set to maximum cool which started to freeze the bottled water and can damage the insulin.

Another idea is have a small platic bag or case to put the insulin bottle in, this will protect them from falling off a shelf in the refrigerator.

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning on taking a letter from my doctor stating that I take insulin, which is probably a good idea regardless. And I can understant that they probably have had problems with people abusing the system. If they have to chaarge me, so be it.

And Cheshire Figment: Thanks for the suggestion about the thermostat - I wouldn't have thought about that - until it was too late.

:sunny: Hi off2disney,
I wanted to tell you that I called WDW today at the Special Reservations line 407-939-7807 to ask about another medical accomodation at PO-R and mentioned that my daughter takes medicine that starts to degrade if the room temp gets above 65-70 degrees and she offered to add a comp frig to our room to avoid the problem. So, I know they are doing comp fridges for medical necessity. I booked the room a couple of months ago and she just pulled up the ressie and added the notes on. We're leaving Thursday am and will be back the 28th so I'll let you know if there's any problem.

When we called to make a reversation at the WL for December, my DH asked about a fridge for my insulin. We were told that one would be provided free of charge, if I brought a note from a doctor stating that I was diabetic and needed to keep my insulin cool. We got a packet in the mail yesterday welcoming us to the WL in December that included our resveration information. It stated "Refg Gtd (Medical needs only)".

PS - I hope I did this right, this is my first post.

Welcome to disABILITIES, Daisylight. Your first post turned out just fine.
For a while they were charging evryone for refrigerators, even with medical needs. But it sound like they are not any more. Thanks for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter