Six Flags New Jersey advice

+1! We have lived within an hour of Six Flags for 15 years and only went once. It was dirty, the rides were questionable and the people there were obnoxious, loud and rude It's like they cloned the cast of Jersey Shore a thousand times and dropped them in a theme park. In fact, I know someone who works there and could give me free passes and I still wouldn't go!

How about Hershey Park? Or, if you are willing to drive 7 hours to Six Flags, is there anywhere in another direction that might be an option? If your DDs are really set on Six Flags, maybe you could try one in another state.

Another vote here for Hershey Park or Dorney Park. Really.
We had Six Flags annual passes for a couple years when our kids first started enjoying rides. Dh works in industrial maintenance and has a keen eye for things I'm oblivious to. He would walk past everything pointing & saying, "Disney would have painted that building." "Disney would have replaced that roof." "Sheesh, a little paint would clean these stairs up a lot."
Which all leads me to believe if they skimp on cosmetic maintenance, they could be skimping on safety-related maintenance. :scared1:
They do have a lot of big coasters but that's the only positive thing I can mention. The park attracts the roughest, trashiest crowd from NJ/NY. You even go through metal detectors and not allowed to even bring a bottle of water. On a hot day, dh had to throw out a frozen bottle because they allow NOTHING from outside.
By the end of the night, there is so much litter in the parking lot they must need a bulldozer to clean it up. Really, it's an embarrassment. :headache:
After a few visits, dh finally said let's just spend the extra $1000 for airfare and go to WDW.
At our middle school, our 8th graders have a "field trip" there and this year my ds13 will be going. I don't want to tell him he can't but I have to admit I'm glad I don't have to be there too. :sick: I'm also glad he won't be there after dark.

We went last summer and thought the park was fine. We frequent Cedar Point every year and Six Flags Great Adventure didn't seem any different besides the metal detectors. We added this onto our Sesame Place trip because we had older kids and it was only 45 minutes away from where we were staying for Sesame. I thought the Safari was very nice and saw more animals than Disney's. If you make it into a trip and go to other places too then I think its worth it. Would I drive 7 hours for just this park? Not sure but I did drive 12 hours just to go to Sesame Place LOL!

I live right near Six Flags Great adventure.

Pros:
- Some of the best coasters on the planet. Definitely do El Dorado. It's the best wooded coaster I've ever been on. (it does NOT bounce you around like the one at Cedar Point)
- Huge Safari ride
- Some unique things

Cons:
- Almost zero theming around the rides. If you look down, you see dirt, concrete, and the bolts that hold the coaster to the concrete
- Expensive
- Food is terrible (and expensive)
- VERY long waits for rides

I suggest if you go for one day...arrive at opening...spend the extra on the Express Pass and do everything you want to do ASAP. Then find other stuff to do in Jersey as part of your trip.

If you go for two days, you can probably get by without express pass. But you should still find another activity to do on your trip :)

PS: I've gone on a weekday in the off season and the crowds get REALLY light...I mean ridiculously light. I mean....when the coaster stops, the kids operating it looks at you and says "If you want to ride again stay in your steat"

I was a season pass holder for years until it started getting very overrun by obnoxious crowds - I know you get that everywhere but I really saw the change in the atmosphere and it wasn't good. The rides were good, but everything had been in need of a spruce up - cleaning, painting, etc. A few years ago we did go to the water park and it was good, not as crowded and fairly clean for a water park, but that was only one time we went.
NOW, that being said my SIL just got season passes, they have been 2x this year, and they loved it.
Personally, I wouldn't make the trip just for this park - if you are coming out this way make sure you have other stuff to do too!

And if you decide to go out to Hershey, look on their website and see what else is around. The zoo america is a neat place, and there's a ton of stuff in the area, including shopping areas not far away. There are many hotels in the area, including ones at Hershey. Check the website and trip advisor. We usually don't stay in a hotel, as we have family close to the park.

Once my younger one became tall enough for coasters, she's become more of a coaster fan than my older one. We've been vacationing to amusement parks for several years now. So, we too are a coaster seeking family.

As just about everyone has said DON'T GO for all of the reasons that were stated. There are always rides broken down, it is not a clean place and a lot of the people that go there are rude and obnoxious. If you are used to Cedar Point you will be disappointed in Six flags. There is no comparison. We drove to Cedar Point from NJ one summer because the kids were big coaster fans. Cedar Point reminded me a little of Disney as it is so clean and the people are nice. As others have said try Hershey Park or Dorney Park they are hands down much better than Six flags.

Thanks for the replies. I think the lure of 6 Flags was the coasters. Cedar Point has some great - awesome- coasters which we have ridden several times.

Hershey Park would only be a 3 hour drive for us, so maybe that is a better option. I didn't really think about Hershey ... I was there as a little girl and didn't remember it being much of a coaster park ... but I am sure that a lot has changed in 30+ years !!

We went to Busch Gardens last summer while we were vacationing at Sandbridge Beach in VA. Enjoyed that too.

So ... now I may be re-directing our theme park adventure for this year ...
THANKS again !!

Hershey has a bunch of coasters (12) - all kinds!

I am maybe 30 minutes away and do not go even with the free kids reading ticket :lmao:
however if it is for the coasters only then go....
I did go as a kid but not anymore....
Hershey has some great coaters (not the same scale as GA but still good)
Dorney park we go once a year around Halloween so it is not that crowded during the day I did go here when I was a kid a while ago :rolleyes1
it is a nice small park but sometimes the people who go are not so great either.... The coasters are compact versions of even what Hersey has but some are ok... they have a lot of rides for younger kids...
I would take Hersey any time out of these three.

Can you go before July 4th? It is much, much less crowded if you go in April or May. Get to the park early and be ready to start riding as soon as possible.

The park food is below average and very expensive. I would bring a cooler with lunch and leave that in the car.

I would also skip the water park.

We haven't been in several years but we used to get annual passes. Every year I expect them to go out of business and every year they still open. I agree that if you go when it's crowded it is not a very pleasant experience.

Personally, I would choose another park.

I live 20 minutes away and I hate the place. Lines are crazy. Unless you are a big coaster fan, it isn't worth it. It used to be so much better, we got season passes every year, nope, not anymore not for awhile. Food is gross and very expensive, makes WDW food look inexpensive. LOL

I haven't been to the water park in a few years, but I actually like it.

Anyway...if you insist on coming, stay at the hotel in Freehold.

And for the person that said the mall in Freehold is huge I am like :confused3 Really? I would love to know what the camparison is. It isn't a big mall. It is my local mall and I hate shopping there...ick. It used to be a really nice mall, but they have redone and went very upscale... I only go when I need the Lego store or Nordstroms!!

Great adventure is in no way worth the 7 hour drive! I live in NJ an hour away from great adventure and it's dirty and gross! The people are rude and obnoxious! The lines are ridiculous and the rides are ok. I love coasters and they have some great ones but the park itself is BLAH

I've been to the 6 Flags in the DC area many times because I got cheap/free tickets and the drive is 20 minutes. Great coasters but one is always breaking. The shows were just bad. Not much else going on and no shade. Not a great experience. The kids went to the NJ one with camp and said it was the same but bigger.

We go to Hershe Park ever year with our swim team. Lots to do, lots of shade, great coasters, and the whole world of chocolate! Just a much better experience imo

And for the person that said the mall in Freehold is huge I am like :confused3 Really? I would love to know what the camparison is. It isn't a big mall. It is my local mall and I hate shopping there...ick. It used to be a really nice mall, but they have redone and went very upscale... I only go when I need the Lego store or Nordstroms!!

It's a good-sized mall. Maybe not Woodbridge, but way ahead of Ocean County Mall. I really like it.

It's the attitude of the people who go there, that make Freehold Mall unbearable!

I've been to the 6 Flags in the DC area many times because I got cheap/free tickets and the drive is 20 minutes. Great coasters but one is always breaking. The shows were just bad. Not much else going on and no shade. Not a great experience. The kids went to the NJ one with camp and said it was the same but bigger.

We go to Hershe Park ever year with our swim team. Lots to do, lots of shade, great coasters, and the whole world of chocolate! Just a much better experience imo

I lived in Northern Virginia for a few years and didn't even know there was a six flags in MD. I grew up in CT going to 6 Flags Great Adventure. My brother's family now goes to 6 Flags in MA because they think it's nicer. I'm spoiled by BG Williamsburg and doubt I could stomach 6 Flags GA.

I'll have to look into Hershey Park if I ever take my kids up to visit my other brother in NJ. I haven't been there since I was a kid.

Don't know where you are coming from, but if Cedar point is your "usual" park, then how about Kings Island in Cincinnati, OH ? Lots of big coasters, new one this year, water park included in price of park admission. Or along with other posters, Hersheypark is really nice as well as Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Also if your in the area there is another park called Kings Dominion in Doswell ,VA just south of D.C..

OK, look, I added some cautions about Great Adventure, but it is not THAT awful. The coasters are amazing. As a matter of fact, we went to Cedar Point one year. And my feeling was that the variety and number of coasters at GA were just as good as those at Cedar Point. (No regrets on the CP trip, it was fun, and we also visited the Rock and Roll museum in Cleveland on the way). Forgot to add, people were smoking EVERYWHERE at CP, which made me crazy!!

The problems are the lines. Be there at opening, like a Disney park. The second issue is the groups. Busloads of teens from the northern NJ cities, and elsewhere, are unsupervised in the parks. This is quite different than at Disney, where you have lots of families, or perhaps a few siblings and friends touring. (exception the cheerleaders at Disney). At GA, you have groups of 20 teens walking, pushing, shoving (playfully), cursing loudly, wearing questionable attire…..

We had season passes for years to GA though, and a couple of our kids worked there for 3 years each, FT all summer. We had many fun family outings there. If I was coming from a distance, I would combine a day visit there with a Beach day to the Jersey Shore; Avon-by-the-Sea, or maybe Belmar, would be closest.

I haven't been to 6 flags for more than ten years, so I can't comment on that. I can say that my children love Hershey! If you choose to go there google Boy Scout Hershey Park tickets. They have a decent discount on tickets, and the scouts benefit. I stumbled upon the discount last summer, and I will say it worked out well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter