Sister Trip 2023! - Completed 2/24

Disney102015

Mouseketeer
Welcome!

Hi all and welcome to my 5th trip report! I’ve previously written about our adventures with 2 kids, then pregnant, then with 3 kids and 1 hurricane (plus a detour to Disneyland) but today I’m writing about a particularly special trip that was truly one of my most favorite Disney trips I’ve ever taken - a sisters only trip to Walt Disney World, February 2-4, 2023! I meant to post this long ago but time got away from me and it’s now the 1 year anniversary of this magical trip, haha. Oh well - better late than never and like I said, this was a particularly special trip so I want to document it regardless!

Sister (D) was turning 40 in January 2023 and I started scheming a few months ahead of time about going back to WDW to celebrate. (We had done a big family trip with 9 people back in September and had such an awesome time.) I ran everything by the husbands (who would be home with our respective 3 children each) and started cobbling together some DVC rooms for a 2 night trip.

I told D about the trip a few weeks ahead of time and she burst into happy tears - totally worth it! We got on booking flights (I had a Delta companion pass) and realized flights were actually much cheaper if we did 3 nights instead of just 2. Gotta love that Disney math!! We played around with DVC availability a bit and ultimately settled on one night in the new resort studios at Grand Floridian, one night in a Copper Creek studio, and one night in a standard view Riviera studio! We’d never attempt a 3 night triple split stay with our army of children (we have 3 each) but since it was just the 2 of us and we’d be packing light, we were up for the challenge.

All, if you’ve ever thought about taking a kid-free trip, consider this your nudge to do it. We had the absolute BEST time - tons of laughs, somehow relaxing despite being go-go-go all day every day. D is my BFF and it was such a blast to have some grown up time just the two of us (complete with matching t-shirts, of course!) We packed a LOT into our 3 night trip - stay tuned for all the fun details!

Travel Day - Let’s Gooooo!

I had to work the morning we were leaving so D and I would meet at the airport. I left work around 12:30, caught an Uber, and arrived to the airport by 12:45. I was a little early so I passed the time waiting by scratching off and consolidating my many Disney gift cards, which I hadn’t had a chance to do yet. That kept me busy til D arrived around 1:15. We definitely “squeeeeeeee”d a bit when we saw each other then headed for security - let’s get this trip started!!

We breezed thru security by 1:35 - we had places to be! Through my credit card, I had some vouchers for the Delta lounge so we decided to be bougie before our flight. We felt very fancy going in there! There was all kinds of free food to choose from as well as drinks. We felt a tiny bit out of place (we aren’t fancy ladies) but overall it was a really fun way to start the trip!

1706970791828.png

Our flight boarded at 2:50 and took off on time. I got the room ready text while we were in flight, at 6:01pm (Room 809).

1706970815873.png

It was a bit of a bumpy ride (I LOATHE flying) but we made it, and landed around 6:45pm. It felt so funny waltzing out of the airport with just a small carryon, instead of multiple suitcases and backpacks and strollers! We got lost a few times on the way to the Uber pickup and had to ask directions. Our first driver randomly canceled but we got a new driver quickly and were pulling away by 7:20. It was a 40 minute ride to the Grand Floridian so we were cutting it a bit close for our 8:10 dinner reservation. We had done online checkin, so as soon as we arrived we headed straight to our room at Big Pine Key to quickly drop our bags and change.

1706970846451.png
This was our first time seeing the new resort studios and we LOVED them. We loved the colors, the theming, the little details, everything. But we didn’t have too much time to check it all out because we had to hustle over to Citricos.

I had never been to Citricos - I’m a big fan of Narcoosee’s so that’s usually my fancy dinner choice in the MK area but it was closed for refurbishment. I still think I like Narcoosee’s better but I really enjoyed Citricos! I wasn’t super hungry so I got the strawberry salad with chicken added, plus an orange blossom martini. Both were just perfect! D got the filet with potato purée and broccolini, and an amaro grapefruit spritz. Everything was excellent!

1706970756028.png
I hadn’t been able to find my Magic Band before the trip (of course I found it as soon as I got home!) so our next stop was the gift shop, where we arrived juuuuust before they shut the doors for the night.

1706970907992.png

Then of course we had to end the night with a drink at the Enchanted Rose. I got the French Rose and D got the Aura in Me (except they were out of pink peppercorn, so a bit different).

1706970873171.png

After our delicious drinks we headed back to our room. We organized all our stuff for the morning, took showers, and went to sleep! We had a very busy day coming up!

Day 2, Part 1 - A Rainy MK Morning

We were up bright and early the next day - we were both too excited to sleep in! We took the opportunity to check out our view, since it had been dark when we arrived the night before:

IMG_0183.png

It was so crazy easy packing up and getting out of the room with just 2 grownups and no kids! We left the room by 7:04 (after purchasing Genie and a few ILLs) and dropped our luggage with bell services for transfer to Wilderness Lodge. We were told it’d be ready between 2:00 and 5:00.

We were at the monorail by 7:11 - they initially told us it wouldn’t start running until 7:30. Yikes, we had a 7:35 breakfast reservation! But it actually started running just a few moments later. It paused for a few minutes at Magic Kingdom then continued on to our destination - the Contemporary.

We checked in for breakfast at Steakhouse 71 right on time and had an absolutely delicious breakfast. We also each had a mimosa because why not?? We were done around 8:30 and stopped at the desk to get D a birthday button. The Cast Member asked what I was celebrating and I said “oh, just a sister’s trip!” He thought for a minute then gave me a button that said “Celebrating Sisterhood.” It was really cute!

I had never walked to MK from the Contemporary before and WOW what a perk that is! We were approaching the gates within 5 minutes. There was no line for security but we had to pull off to the side because I had forgotten to pair my new Magic Band. Oops! That took a few quick minutes and we were tapping in at 8:50. We marveled at how easy breezy security was without diaper bags and bottles and strollers - this would be a running theme throughout the trip, haha.

It was so amazing to be back at Magic Kingdom!! We both teared up a bit walking down Main Street and of course stopped for castle pics. We saw the Dapper Dans and trolley go by while we were waiting - it was a really lovely start to the morning. I got a DAS for SDMT and we were on our way.

IMG_0184.png

Our first stop was Pirates which had a 35 minute wait posted at 9:20 but we only waited the time it took us to walk the length of the line! Great start to the day.

IMG_0185.png

Next we hit Haunted Mansion, which had a posted wait of 35 minutes but we only waited about 25. By now it was time for our 10:35 Genie reservation at Big Thunder Mountain. I just love this ride!! It’s always been one of my favorites. I was very surprised to get our room ready text from Copper Creek at 10:59am - usually DVC rooms are ready much later in the day! This would turn out to be very important later…

IMG_0188.png
Ominous skies!!

The skies absolutely opened up after our ride on Big Thunder. We went into the Christmas shop to try to stay dry with approximately 1000 other people who had the same idea. We took out the ponchos D had bought from the Dollar Store and they were HILARIOUSLY inadequate. Like…crop top ponchos? The proportions were just all off and they did not fit either of us at all. We had a lunch reservation at the Plaza for 11:10 so we just covered up as best we could and made a run for it. We split the loaded fries and each had a drink - Jack’s Rose and the Last Word.

IMG_0187.png

The rain had stopped while we were eating but of course picked back up again as soon as we left. We had abandoned the useless ponchos and just made a run for it to SDMT - we were already soaked so decided to just ride in the rain. We were kind of surprised the ride was still running!! We could barely keep our eyes open riding in the rain but we were laughing SO hard.

We had accomplished all the rides we wanted in Magic Kingdom so decided to head out via the Emporium to do a little souvenir shopping for the kiddos back home. But, we were too soaked and cold to focus so we didn’t stay long! We headed out of the park and waited about 15 minutes in line for the resort launch to Wilderness Lodge. It was frigid on the boat and we couldn’t wait to get warm and dry!

Next up - a midday break and Hollywood Studios evening!

Evening at Hollywood Studios
I had never stayed at WL before - wow, what a view coming in on the boat!! I totally fell in love with this resort and cannot wait to stay there again.

IMG_0227.png

So, we were soaking wet and freezing - our room was ready but our bags had not arrived from Grand Floridian. Dilemma!! Thankfully we had a plan, kind of - we had ambitiously packed bathing suits in our backpacks that morning in the event we wanted to swim on our midday break. I put on my dry swimsuit and threw my soaking wet clothes into the drier! I then took a quick power nap while I waited. It was SO nice to have our room ready so early and very unusual for DVC rooms!

IMG_0228.png

Sister ended up buying some dry clothes from the gift shop and went to get drinks for us at Geyser Point while I napped - a rough rider sour and a northwest iced tea. Both hit the spot!

We had a Rock n Roller Coaster LL booked for 2:30 and a Fantasmic package booked for Hollywood Brown Derby for 2:55 but our stuff was still wet and our bags hadn’t made it yet so we had to do some reshuffling. As it turned out, RNRC went down, giving us an anytime pass, so that worked out, and we just canceled Brown Derby, figuring we’d sort out dinner on the fly. We headed out around 3:30, dry and refreshed! And were in line for RNRC with our anytime pass by 4:02. Not too shabby! Next up we did Slinky (waited 25 minutes with prebooked DAS time), Millennium Falcon (waited 10 minutes with Genie), and Rise (waited only about 5 minutes with ILL).

IMG_0229.png

We signed up for the Brown Derby waitlist from the Rise line but first it was time for Oga’s!! We each had a delicious beverage - Sister is a huge Star Wars fan so this was heaven for her!

IMG_0231.png
By the time we left it was time for a light dinner at Brown Derby. We got a few different apps plus we each got a flight (margarita and martini) to share. We LOVED this!!

IMG_0232.png
We were a little worried since we had canceled our Fantasmic package, but after dinner we were able to get seats in the theater no problem. I hadn’t seen Fantasmic since the refresh and we really really enjoyed it. Tears were shed, of course. We were on the bus back to WL by 8:46 - we stopped at Geyser Point for a night cap to go and an order of tenders since we were feeling snacky. The Electrical Water Pageant was going by at the time which was cool to see but we didn’t linger long because it was properly chilly!

After that we headed up to the room. Well, my drink went undrank and I may or may not have dozed off sitting up with a chicken tender in my hand - it had been a BIG, but wonderful day! And we were ready to do it all over again tomorrow!!

Next up…Animal Kingdom and Epcot!

Attachments

• IMG_0230.png
    IMG_0230.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 1
AK and Epcot

Today was Animal Kingdom and Epcot! And somehow, our last night already! But we had LOTS of adventures to squeeze in before heading home.

We woke up after a great night’s sleep at Copper Creek and quickly packed up our stuff. We dropped our luggage at Bell Services to be brought over to Riviera and we were on our way! First I killed a little time waiting in a rocking chair in the WL lobby while Sister finished getting ready - what a gorgeous lobby this is!

IMG_0285.png

We didn’t have far to go for our first stop - we were getting an early breakfast at Whispering Canyon. Neither of us had ever been here before and honestly, we probably wouldn’t go back. The food was GREAT but the antics are not for us, haha. We each got a heritage skillet and a mimosa flight.

IMG_0286.png
When we needed ketchup I whispered to the server that we needed ketchup but didn’t want to do the whole “ketchup thing” and he said “ohhh you mean the Quiet Ketchup!” And brought it over without causing a fuss, thank goodness! He also brought Sister a cupcake for her birthday and tried to feed it to her!! This place would probably be more fun with the kids, as opposed to 2 adults who haven’t had their coffee yet, haha.

We caught the bus right away and were at AK by 10:15. We took a quick break immediately to call the kiddos back home, and tapped in at 10:45 for our Flight of Passage ILL, before using our first Genie at Navi River Journey around 11:30. (It’s a bit of a bummer how long FOP takes even with an ILL - that preshow is just SO long!)

Next stop was my favorite, Thirsty River Bar! I got my usual, the Himalayan Ghost, and Sister got the green margarita. We had a prebooked DAS for Everest next, then did the Maharajah Jungle Trek while waiting for the Nomad Lounge walk up list.

IMG_0287.png
We tapped in for our safari next which was awesome, and our Nomad spot opened just as we were exiting. Perfect timing!! We each enjoyed an adult beverage and some sort of charcuterie-type snack before heading out of the park to our next destination.

IMG_0288.png
We decided to use Lyft to get to Epcot since we wanted to maximize our time and the ride share location at AK is pretty convenient. We were tapping into Epcot at 3:00 and tapping into Cosmic Rewind (ILL) by 3:07! Unfortunately it took foreverrrrrr to get through the ride and we were late for our Space 220 reservation by about 15 minutes. The hostess initially said they wouldn’t be able to seat us but a few minutes later came back and said they could - woohoo! This was a first for us and probably another one and done. The setting is cool, but in my opinion not cool enough to justify the fixed price. Luckily we had seats in the lounge and each got an app and a drink. It was fun and I’m glad we got to try it!

We had a little time to kill before our Soarin’ LL so we walked onto the Land. I’m sure I must’ve gone on this ride as a kid but have NO memory of it, and definitely hadn’t ridden it as an adult. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it! Next we tapped in for Soarin’ and waited about 15 minutes with the LL. Next up was Remy’s (another 15 minute LL wait) followed by a frozen martini at the France Festival of the Arts booth. This always hits the spot!!

The festival looked really neat from what we saw - I’d like to come back sometime during this time of year to check it out some more. Sister’s husband had his 40th that same week so she spent a little time looking for a piece of Star Wars art to get for him before we headed to La cava.

This was another place I had never been!! I got the blood orange margarita and Sister got the tequila flight - she LOVES tequila! We also stopped and grabbed a Larry Dotson print of Wilderness Lodge - I am starting to collect these for each of the hotels we stay at. We then tapped in at Frozen at 8:22 and were on by 8:30.

Neither of us had seen Harmonious yet and we knew it was going away soon so seeing it was a priority! We found a spot by Morocco and grabbed a drink while we waited. I REALLY liked it!! But in my opinion, the barges ruining the World Showcase views were not worth it. But the songs, fireworks, etc. we really enjoyed!! We sprinted for the skyliner right before the end of the show which was a great move because a huge line quickly formed behind us. This was our first skyliner ride ever and we were scared!! It stopped for a minute or two and we were freaking out a bit. But the views were neat and you can’t beat the convenience. I’d use it again (but not on a trip with Husband - he doesn’t do heights!)

Our room at the Riviera was on the first floor in the building by the skyliner - so a bit of a hike back from the lobby with our bags. It was an accessible room so set up a little bit differently. We dropped our bags and limped over to Bar Riva - our feet were sore from our long day!! We got there at 10:05 and realized they closed at 10 - but they were nice enough to give us each a glass of wine to bring back to the room! Sister had lost her emotional support water bottle at some point during the day so we also stopped at Primo Piatto to pick up a bunch of water. We headed back to our room and were asleep literally minutes later!

Final Day

Our final day!! We had packed a LOT into our 3 night trip and today would be no exception. We started by grabbing some coffee at the lobby cafe at the Riviera and dropping off our luggage.

I have to say - I had toured the Riviera on our last trip after breakfast at Topolino’s and LOVED it, but didn’t like it quite as much after staying there! I’m not sure why really. The skyliner sure is convenient, though!

We were off to Hollywood Studios and tapped in by 9:20. I had a DAS for 9:30 and was off by 9:45 - D decided she wasn’t up for a roller coaster first thing in the morning! Next we grabbed some snacks and a grownup lemonade (my favorite) at Woody’s lunchbox. We shared a table with a nice family and enjoyed chatting with them about our trips.

Next up was one more trip to Oga’s because the birthday girl just loves it there! We had a quick drink each. A weird thing happened after we left - I looked at my phone and realized I had missed 3 calls from a Florida number. I called back and it was Oga’s saying my card was declined - huh?? So back we went to sort it out - but when we got there they said they had the wrong party, and our payment had processed fine! So that ate up a bit of time.

We were tapping into Smuggler’s Run by 10:45. Next up was Rise - the LL moved a bit slow because apparently the ride had been down earlier, so we were off by 12:05. Our major goals for the morning had been to conquer Galaxy’s Edge, so mission accomplished!!

We headed out to the parking lot and called a Minnie Van to Disney Springs. We waited about 10 minutes and were checking in at Homecomin’ by 12:35 - not bad! They were running a bit behind and we were sat by 12:50. Oh, my, goodness. This brunch was AMAZING. I ate more than I thought was humanly possible and loved every single bite. We split the donuts to start and I got the Hallelujah Biscuits. I also got the Britton Peach Tea which was delightful. I cannot say enough good things about this meal. I was immediately texting my husband to tell him we’d have to eat here on our next trip.

We waddled out of Homecomin’ and did a bit of shopping at World of Disney and the TRex store. Then we grabbed a quick drink at Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar.

IMG_0302.png

Finished up at Disney Springs, we had one more adventure planned before heading to the airport - we took a Lyft over to Epcot for one last ride on Guardians. Man, the Lyft drop off was a HIKE from the entrance!! I wished we had taken a Minnie Van but the price difference just wasn’t worth it. Oh well.

We got thru security and hustled to Guardians - we tapped in to our ILL at 4:37 and were off by 4:52. Super quick! I can’t remember what song we got but know it was amazing as always!

Sadly it was time to make our way out of the park. We each grabbed a cosmo from Refreshment Port for our walk because why not?? We were at the Skyliner by 5:23 and headed back to the Riviera to grab our bags before catching an Uber to the airport.

IMG_0303.png

We had a little time in the Delta lounge before our flight but it actually closed pretty early so we had to head to our gate. The lounge in Boston was definitely nicer and had more food options. We had a bumpy flight home which was a little rough on this nervous flier, but we survived.

And that’s a wrap!! It was SUCH a wonderful trip. Some grown up sister time was definitely much needed and I returned home feeling very refreshed - not something I usually say about a Disney trip! We loved checking out 3 different hotels and some restaurants we probably would’ve skipped with the kiddos. And the best part, we are booked to do it again this summer (this time with a FOUR night split stay)!! Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter