Single Visitor First Timer - What are Your "Can't Miss" Things?

DramaTurtle23

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

I realized/embraced my "Disney Adult" last year after years of dormancy and returned to WDW after almost two decades last fall. I've decided to do a solo trip to DL this fall, and I'm so excited.

Since I'm an East Coast girl and will probably not get back to DL soon, I'm curious to know:
1) what everyone's top things to do in Disneyland are that you can't do in WDW
2) similarly, if there's any food/cocktail things in the hotels or parks I really can't miss while I'm on the West Coast (I know about the Mickey beignets and churros, but I'm more of a savory than sweet person tbh)
3) are there any sit-down restaurants I should take advantage of being a solo traveler?

I'm doing one day in each park and I've also built in time to enjoy Downtown Disney/maybe check out the bar experience at one or two of the DL hotels.

1. All of these:

Unique to DLR: Carsland, Avengers Campus, Pixar Pier, Sailing Ship Columbia, Alice, Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Storyland Canal Boats, Casey Jr, Matterhorn, Mr. Lincoln, Indiana Jones, the better Pirates of the Caribbean, Hatbox Ghost at Haunted Mansion though WDW is getting it soon, the better train experience, Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through, two seater Space Mountain, larger Autopia, Monorail in the park, Finding Nemo subs, Toontown, better Small World. Park hop since it's walking across an Esplanade. Look for the light in the window over the Fire Station. That was Walt's apartment and the cast members would turn the light on when Walt was in the parks. They kept it on after he passed away in remembrance.

2. Matterhorn macarons at Jolly Holiday, Mint-Julip from the Mint-Julip bar, same place you get the beignets, popcorn at the Kozy Kone stands in Carsland, food from Pyms Test Kitchen, bread bowls at Pacific Wharf.

3. Lamplight Lounge, you can sit on the dining patio/bar. Carnation Cafe if you have sit outside which offers great people watching. Trader Sam's, so many great cocktails. Blue Bayou, if you can sit over by the bayou near the Pirates ride. Cafe Orleans, outside offers great views of New Orleans Square.

Last edited:
Sitting right at the front of the monorail, in front of the operator. You might need to wait though, and I'm not sure if maybe families with children have the highest priority for the front (been there once where the operator asked if we wanted to be at the front). And the monorail is a unique design by Walt Disney Imagineering unlike any other monorail in the world. The one at WDW is more or less a commercial design where similar ride vehicles are found in other places.

mono4-400x287.jpg

CarsLand, especially at night. Radiator Springs Racers is a must do (day or night). Pirates of the Caribbean is a different ride, despite having the same name.

Disneyana has concept art, and used to have a map/model of the park on opening day.

Take a minute near the partners statue near Disneyland. Look at the entrances to the different lands coming off from the central hub. Think about the fact that this is what Walt Disney imagined, designed, where he walked around when it was finished, and it still exists today.

Loving these recs, thank you! Will it be necessary to make reservations anywhere ahead of time (particularly Lamplight Lounge or Blue Bayou) if I'm traveling solo and I'm okay sitting at bars?

Loving these recs, thank you! Will it be necessary to make reservations anywhere ahead of time (particularly Lamplight Lounge or Blue Bayou) if I'm traveling solo and I'm okay sitting at bars?
There's no bar at the BB, so you'll need to make a table reservation or walk up and hope you can get in before long.

Yes, no bar at Blue Bayou so you would be best to make a reservation though they do take walk-ups. You can definitely walk-up to Lamplight and sit on the upper level bar/deck. Downstairs is easier with a reservation but I think you'll enjoy the upstairs better if you're alone.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/di...-adventure/lamplight-lounge-boardwalk-dining/

Would you all say that Genie+ is necessary for a single rider at DL? Everything on the board seems to say that it's more useful in DL than WDW, but there seem to be so few attractions that use it (in my mind) and the waits are so much shorter for standby (in my mind).

Would you all say that Genie+ is necessary for a single rider at DL? Everything on the board seems to say that it's more useful in DL than WDW, but there seem to be so few attractions that use it (in my mind) and the waits are so much shorter for standby (in my mind).
I think it just comes down to if you are good with waiting. If you rope drop, you don’t need Genie+ on most days until 10-11am. Some rides you can look at the queue and figure out if you should use the Genie+ for it. For instance, Indy is an easy tell because the LL only saves you the outdoor queue. So if the outdoor queue is light, just jump in line. If it’s packed, book the LL. I think it’s great at DCA.

I’m not sure what the count is up to now for single rider lanes but I’m sure others can tell you. You will be able to do a lot being a single rider. Genie+ might be good if you want to ride again later with low waits.

I went solo last year in February for Presidents Day weekend, and it was helpful to have. I also enjoyed that Photo Pass was fully included with G+ at DL vs. only ride photos at WDW.

I have it already pre purchased on my pass for my upcoming trip, but having recently done a trip there and the fact that I just bought in to DVC at VGC and will be back more often, I should have passed on it (and likely will for next year). But I'll take advantage of being able to do a second ride on Space Mt. or Soarin' if the single rider lines aren't open for them as well as using Photo Pass.

Thank you everyone for your responses! Hope it's okay if I tack this one - my trip just got a bit more complicated with OBB dates because I personally don't want to do OBB, but I want two full days in the parks.

OBB is on Sunday. I'm trying to debate if I should switch my Sunday park reservation to DL and the Monday reservation to DCA? I imagine DL will be super crowded because it's a weekend with OBB going on?

Or if I should start Sunday in DCA and then park hop, and do the reverse the next day? That sounds like a lot of logistics, especially since I was going to get Genie+. Since it's a vacation, I don't want to super stress.

OBB is on Sunday. I'm trying to debate if I should switch my Sunday park reservation to DL and the Monday reservation to DCA? I imagine DL will be super crowded because it's a weekend with OBB going on?

Or if I should start Sunday in DCA and then park hop, and do the reverse the next day? That sounds like a lot of logistics, especially since I was going to get Genie+. Since it's a vacation, I don't want to super stress.

Park hopping at DLR is ridiculously easy and stress-free. October at DLR is always crazy crowded though due to the popularity of Halloween-time, so Genie+ should be helpful if you familiarize yourself with the system. Rope-dropping will be your best bet no matter which park you start with.

Must-dos for Halloween-time:
-Sh-boom at sunset in Carsland-so fun during Halloween
-Halloween Screams fireworks show
-Special flavored Mickey beignets-hoping pumpkin spice is back this year. Mint Julep Bar is currently closed, so as of now you can get the Mickey Beignets at Royal Street Veranda and Hungry Bear. Hopefully Tiana’s Palace and the Mint Julep Bar will be open in the fall though!
-Haunted Mansion will have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay which you’ll definitely want Genie+ for 😵‍💫
-Monsters After Dark-late afternoon/evening Guardians of the Galaxy overlay- another one you’ll want Genie+ for (keep an eye on return times as these go fast)…

Some additional to-dos:

-Trader Sam’s at DL Hotel and Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian will give you a taste of these two onsite hotels, and GCH has a fun set-up during Halloween.
-Troubadour Tavern in DL is great for savory-the loaded baked potato is one of our faves
-Bengal BBQ rice plate
-Pym’s in Avenger’s Campus has a giant pretzel my kids love, and you’ll likely want to check out Pym’s Testing Lab
-Lamplight Lounge brunch if you can get it

Park hopping at DLR is ridiculously easy and stress-free. October at DLR is always crazy crowded though due to the popularity of Halloween-time, so Genie+ should be helpful if you familiarize yourself with the system. Rope-dropping will be your best bet no matter which park you start with.

Must-dos for Halloween-time:
-Sh-boom at sunset in Carsland-so fun during Halloween
-Halloween Screams fireworks show
-Special flavored Mickey beignets-hoping pumpkin spice is back this year. Mint Julep Bar is currently closed, so as of now you can get the Mickey Beignets at Royal Street Veranda and Hungry Bear. Hopefully Tiana’s Palace and the Mint Julep Bar will be open in the fall though!
-Haunted Mansion will have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay which you’ll definitely want Genie+ for 😵‍💫
-Monsters After Dark-late afternoon/evening Guardians of the Galaxy overlay- another one you’ll want Genie+ for (keep an eye on return times as these go fast)…

Some additional to-dos:

-Trader Sam’s at DL Hotel and Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian will give you a taste of these two onsite hotels, and GCH has a fun set-up during Halloween.
-Troubadour Tavern in DL is great for savory-the loaded baked potato is one of our faves
-Bengal BBQ rice plate
-Pym’s in Avenger’s Campus has a giant pretzel my kids love, and you’ll likely want to check out Pym’s Testing Lab
-Lamplight Lounge brunch if you can get it
Thank you so much! I'm actually going during early September - the very beginning of OBB. If I want to book a Lightning Lane in a park at DLR, I have to scan into that park first right? And if I wanted to parkhop from one to the other, will I be able to make an ADR at the second park? Truth be told, I haven't used Park Hopper much at WDW so I'm fuzzy on how it might translate to DLR.

Thank you so much! I'm actually going during early September - the very beginning of OBB. If I want to book a Lightning Lane in a park at DLR, I have to scan into that park first right? And if I wanted to parkhop from one to the other, will I be able to make an ADR at the second park? Truth be told, I haven't used Park Hopper much at WDW so I'm fuzzy on how it might translate to DLR.

Early September will hopefully be a tad less crowded, but just be prepared for the strong possibility of intense heat! Yes, you’ll have to scan into the park first before even being able to buy Genie+/book your first LL. Rope-dropping will also help you with this as lately they’ve started scanning in around 7:20am if you’re at the front of the line.

The system allows you to book ADRs for either park even if you don’t have a reservation, so just keep an eye on that as park hopper is currently only allowed starting at 11am. Super easy peasy at DLR! 😅

Early September will hopefully be a tad less crowded, but just be prepared for the strong possibility of intense heat! Yes, you’ll have to scan into the park first before even being able to buy Genie+/book your first LL. Rope-dropping will also help you with this as lately they’ve started scanning in around 7:20am if you’re at the front of the line.

The system allows you to book ADRs for either park even if you don’t have a reservation, so just keep an eye on that as park hopper is currently only allowed starting at 11am. Super easy peasy at DLR! 😅
Noted, this is super helpful, thank you!! I'm hopeful I'll be comfortable rope-dropping (which I've never done!) at the top of my vacation with the time difference. And THANK YOU for the note on ADRs, I had no idea!

Noted, this is super helpful, thank you!! I'm hopeful I'll be comfortable rope-dropping (which I've never done!) at the top of my vacation with the time difference. And THANK YOU for the note on ADRs, I had no idea!
DT, since you're coming from the East Coast, you'll be awake hours before rope drop! It's those of us going from California to WDW who have trouble waking up in time to get to the parks early! (Years ago I caught onto the idea of shifting my sleep time before an East Coast trip, and that helps a lot, but I'm still not an early riser. 😁 )

Rope drop at DLR is just so much easier than WDW if you're staying within walking distance. It's not 100% humidity in the morning or getting on a shuttle or boat to get to the parks. The weather is pleasant, if a little chilly. Yeah, the time difference is something to get used to but it's so worth it. And unlike WDW, you just get so much accomplished if you rope drop. You can not touch your Genie+ selections for the first 2 hours.

You can not touch your Genie+ selections for the first 2 hours.

You’re right about *using* LLs. But since we can modify now, I found it was better to grab a LL first thing to get the 120-minute window started, then move that LL to later in the day when things got busier. Then I could get another LL earlier.

You’re right about *using* LLs. But since we can modify now, I found it was better to grab a LL first thing to get the 120-minute window started, then move that LL to later in the day when things got busier. Then I could get another LL earlier.

Or fishing for Multiple Experience Passes… You can manage to build a good collection depending on what’s closed first thing/struggling throughout the day.

That's actually a great point. We haven't been back since they added this option. Have to remind my brother of this when he goes on July 1st.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter