Single-use camera--checked or carry-on???

Sweety_tweety

Mouseketeer
Should I put my sport (water-proof) single use camera in my checked bag or carry-on? :confused3

I searched other the TSA website and other posts and cannot find the answer. Thanks!

Film can and will be ruined if placed in checked bags. The x-ray that is used to check your bag is VERY powerful. If you are going to carry that camera on, check the film speed. If that film speed is 800 or higher, or is black and white, ask to have the film hand-checked. They will pass the camera around the X-ray machine and hand inspect and swab it for chemicals.

Film can and will be ruined if placed in checked bags. The x-ray that is used to check your bag is VERY powerful. If you are going to carry that camera on, check the film speed. If that film speed is 800 or higher, or is black and white, ask to have the film hand-checked. They will pass the camera around the X-ray machine and hand inspect and swab it for chemicals.
ITA! Be prepared for them to ask you to open the package and take the camera out of the packing so they can do the hand-check.

I finally broke down and got a digital camera - getting the single use things hand checked through security every time was a pain. And the pictures turned out poorly if I didn't. The camera goes in my carry on and doesn't have to come out until I want to use it, LOL.

Single-use cameras are basically a roll of film inside a cardboard box, with a cheap plastic lens on the front. As such, travelling with them is EXACTLY like travelling with undeveloped film.

Undeveloped film (whether you've taken pics with it or not) will be RUINED by the x-ray scanners used on checked bags. Any speed, any brand, any type of film (or single-use camera) will be ruined by packing it in your checked bags before it's developed, whether you took pics with it or not. PACK ALL FILM AND ALL SINGLE-USE CAMERAS IN YOUR CARRY-ON ONLY!!

The x-ray scanners used on carry-on luggage are much less powerful, since they are used in areas with lots of people. They can and will damage film, but not to the extent of the checked bag scanners. Film of 100-200ISO can pass through the carry-on scanner several times without visible damage. 400ISO film can pass through the scanners up to two times before damage becomes visible. 800ISO film and above will be damaged by a single pass through the carry-on scanners.

When I travel with film or single-use cameras, I never let it go through the x-ray scanners, even once; I always ask for hand inspection.

X-ray damage to photographic film is cumulative. Think of it like a paper towel passing under a faucet. You can pass a paper towel under a faucet quickly, and it will only get a little wet. But the more times you pass the towel under the faucet, the wetter it gets. Likewise, if you pass the towel under the faucet slower, it will get more wet. Through the combination of passing it under the faucet many times quickly or few times slowly, the towel will eventually get soaked through.

Film is the towel, x-rays are the water. If you film gets exposed to enough x-ray energy, it will be fogged when you develop it, ruining any pics you take with it. The more fogged it becomes, the less of the image will be on the film. The fogging effect will look like a white haze on the pics; the more fogged it gets, the whiter the pics will be.

Passing film through the checked bag scanner will completely fog it with a single pass; the prints will come out completely white.

For more info on flying with film, see my web page on the subject:
Flying with Film at WillCAD.org

I finally broke down and got a digital camera - getting the single use things hand checked through security every time was a pain. And the pictures turned out poorly if I didn't. The camera goes in my carry on and doesn't have to come out until I want to use it, LOL.

I haven't flown in years...we will have our digital camera in our carry on - it won't be damaged by the carry on x-ray machine?

ITA! Be prepared for them to ask you to open the package and take the camera out of the packing so they can do the hand-check.

I agree about owning a digital camera, but the OP will probably not have the same results taking pictures at the pool with her/his digital as with the waterproof single use mentioned. ;)

And SassyCat - no, your digital camera will not be impacted at all by the carry-on x-ray. (Nor would it be affected by the checked luggage x-ray, but checking your camera is still not advisable due to possible physical damage from bag handling, or due to possible theft.)

And SassyCat - no, your digital camera will not be impacted at all by the carry-on x-ray. (Nor would it be affected by the checked luggage x-ray, but checking your camera is still not advisable due to possible physical damage from bag handling, or due to possible theft.)

Great, thanks! :)

I understand 800 speed is supposed to be hand checked, however, I was asked to leave them in the carry-on luguage while flying out of MCO twice. Recently, I have decided to have them developed before I come back.

If they ask you to leave the film in your bag, POLITELY refuse and ask for a supervisor. Film over 800 can and will be affected negatively by going through the x-ray machine.

I understand 800 speed is supposed to be hand checked, however, I was asked to leave them in the carry-on luguage while flying out of MCO twice. Recently, I have decided to have them developed before I come back.

Not all TSA screeners understand the relationship between film speed and x-ray exposure. I even had a screener take me to task once when I handed my film bag to him through the metal detector, because he thought the metal detector would ruin the film (it won't affect film at all). many of them think that only "high speed" film, or "professional" film will be damaged by the x-ray scanners; unfortunately, they all have different ideas of what constitutes "high speed" or "professional" film.

The key to getting your film hand inspected is to know the details of how x-ray affect film, and to explain it calmly and confidently to any screener who tries to tell you that the x-ray scanners won't harm your film.

ALL x-ray exposure damages ALL photographic film. However, the exposure is cumulative, and the higher the film's speed, the more sensitive it is to exposure. The same amount of x-rays that will cause minor fogging to 400ISO film will completely expose 800ISO and above.

Likewise, multiple passes through the scanner will fog even 100ISO film; it simply takes more x-ray exposure to do it, so the film has to pass through the scanner more times, or for a longer period of time, or some combination of the two. The lower the film speed, the more x-ray energy it takes to visibly damage it; the higher the film speed, the less x-ray energy it takes to visibly damage it. ISO800 film and above will be visibly damaged by even a single pass through the carry-on scanner.

The general consensus is that 400ISO film (the most common speed used by consumers today) takes about 4 to 5 passes through the average carry-on scanner before the damage becomes visible on it after developing. But that's only an average; it can be fogged by fewer trips, if the trips take more time and expose it to more x-ray energy.

Example: the TSA screeners will move the belt forward and backward several times to get a good view inside a bag with a lot of stuff in it. If your film happens to be in that bag - or in a bag on either side of it - then your film will get a double or even triple normal exposure. Two such trips through the machine, and you film will be fogged enough to ruin your pics.

Knowing all of this, and presenting it calmly and confidently to the TSA screeners, in a professional and inteligent manner, has always worked for me. It's also vital that any film or single-use cameras you travel with be packed properly, in a clear ziploc bag, so you can easily pull the bag out and hand it to the screeners to ask for hand inspection. I typically took my film canisters and single-use cameras out of the outer cardboard boxes, but I left the single-use cameras in the sealed celophane wrappers, before I put them into the ziploc. NOTE: Smile and be pleasant, polite, and friendly to the screeners; everybody responds better to a polite request than to an irate or grumpy demand.

You are entitled, by Federal law, to a hand inspection of your film is you ask for it.

Title 49, Subtitle B, Volume 7, Chapter XII, Subchapter C, Part 1544, Subpart C of the Code of Federal Regulations, i.e., 49CFR1544.2xx, states:
(4) If requested by individuals, their photographic equipment and film packages must be inspected without exposure to an X-ray system.

Of course, arguing or getting indignant or confrontational with a TSA screener is not a good idea, so keep calm and be as cooperative as you can when asking for hand inspection. The law is on your side, but not all screeners will know that, and causing an incident in an airport security line is a good way to get banned from flying, or even arrested.

JMO - Don't know if you are talking about waterproof disposables or not, but I flew with single-use cameras last summer (and have several times in the past) in a clear-ziploc bag and that will be the last time for me. (I also use digital cameras.) Unless you are bringing them strictly for water parks/pool use I would really try to avoid using them. I found the picture quality varies considerably; some malfunction not giving full number of pictures and you have to add in development cost usually. Now that digitals have come down so much in price I will go ahead and use one of my old digitals near water.

Edited to show my reviews of disposable waterproofs earlier this year:
This is a hard one to answer. Our group used two brands of disposable waterproofs last summer on our 5 day rafting trip on the Arkansas River in Colorado. Fuji Quicksnap 35 mm was the recommended brand due to Fuji's superiority in capturing the red tones found out west etc. I also purchased Kodak Sport Single Use waterproofs.

The Kodaks were almost a complete waste. Out of 6 cameras total, 3 malfunctioned and died totally producing no pictures. One of those 3 cameras cracked open before we could even use it. The remaining rolls gave me maybe 20 decent pictures total.

The Fujis fared better and gave us decent pictures although never a complete roll's worth per camera despite great conditions.

Keep in mind these were all waterproof disposable cameras, never used underwater and protected from big bumps and kept in ziploc bags in between uses. I only bought this type because of the unpredictablility of being on big rapids on a big river.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter