Single rider wait times

BlueSuitDonald

Mouseketeer
I was just looking at all the single rider lines that are available at Disneyland! It is was more than at Disney World. So what is the typical wait time in single rider lines at Disneyland during busy times?

They usually range from walk on-30 minutes. It varies on how busy the park is, if the ride is operating well, and if the CM’s are pulling from the single rider line.

It depends on many things: How busy the park is, how many people are in the line, and how the line is handled.

Personally, I don't use most of the Disneyland SR lines, even though I usually travel as a single. The reasoning is that many of Disneyland's singles lines are not run like those at most other parks. At Splash, Indy, and probably some others that I'm forgetting, Singles are merged in with DAS parties for the first part of their wait. There is no reason for the lines to be shared, and it makes singles lines longer for no good reason. The line moves better once the lines separate, but to be in a wait made artificially longer by arbitrarily pairing two lines that have different functions and should be separate is infuriating.

Thus, the only lines I recommend are RSR and Space Mountain. Both are run properly and will dramatically shorten your wait. Perhaps more people know about it now, but in 2018 it was new and little known, and it basically made Space a walk-on. RSR's line is better known, but moves well, and you can generally get on in no more than 30 minutes, often less.

It totally depends on the day, time, and ride.

Matterhorn is usually fairly quick. Indy is hit-or-miss on the time-saving. Splash Mountain is usually fairly quick. Radiator Springs Racers is quick-ish, but can still be 30+ minutes. Grizzly is really quick except on the hottest days. Goofy's is quick when it's running. Space Mountain can take some time. Haven't tried on Smuggler's Run yet. Incredicoaster is usually a short wait. When Soarin' has single rider lines going (VERY hit and miss) it's rarely faster.

Smuggler's run is not quick IMO, and I think due to the fact you will always be an engineer, you will be done with it after several rides.
RSR's single rider line is heavily advertised, they basically broadcast from time to time "Want a shorter wait? Try single rider line", and it has become an important part of the operation.
The only bad single rider line instances I experienced were 1) Indiana Jones; 2) Goofy's. Note that those are bad "instances", most of the time it is not bad.

Thus, the only lines I recommend are RSR and Space Mountain. Both are run properly and will dramatically shorten your wait. Perhaps more people know about it now, but in 2018 it was new and little known, and it basically made Space a walk-on. RSR's line is better known, but moves well, and you can generally get on in no more than 30 minutes, often less.
I would add Incredicoaster. It’s a VERY weird line, but it can save an hour when the park is busy.

MF:SR single rider line was amazing at WDW and should be the same at DL, but I haven’t personally used it there yet.

Generally speaking, if you use MaxPass effectively, you can do better than single rider. If you want to ride RSR 3 times in a day though you should do single rider.

MF:SR single rider line was amazing at WDW and should be the same at DL, but I haven’t personally used it there yet.
early in the summer I did the single rider for MFSR and waited about 10 minutes. And the line extended down the stairs. Later in the summer and fall, the line was the same length but took like 40 minutes. So it just varies. Plus since it doesn’t have fastpass people are willing to use it to stand inside out of the heat and cold.

Space Mountain- AMAZING. I’ve never waited more than 10-15 minutes.
Star Tours- It’s new and I haven’t used it yet. I have heard it works well. I will use it on Wednesday for the first time.
Matterhorn- It’s generally short but it can be a little long sometimes.
Indiana Jones- TERRIBLE. NEVER USE IT.
Millennium Falcon- I’ve heard various things about it. I will be trying it out on Wednesday.
Splash Mountain- It’s good sometimes and sometimes it isn’t. If the wait is an hour or longer, the SR line is generally too long.
Grizzly River Run- Never long at all
Radiator Springs Racers- Usually pretty fast
Incredicoaster- Short sometimes
Goofy’s Sky School- I will never do this ride

My understanding is that on Star Tours you wind up on the side of the room which is fine unless you are prone to motion sickness.

If we don’t stay onsite, how will it be getting fast passes using MaxPass if people are already in the parks an hour before we are? Will there be a lot of Fastpass left. And I don’t fully understand how long you have to wait to get another Fastpass once one is booked.

I'm feeling like a really stupid DLR guest - I didn't know half these rides had single rider! I do solo visits frequently, and have done single rider for RSR, Matterhorn, Incredicoaster and Splash. I did single rider for SR at WDW and planned to do it at DLR in March/April when I go. Glad to know I can do it for other rides instead of using up fastpasses.

If we don’t stay onsite, how will it be getting fast passes using MaxPass if people are already in the parks an hour before we are? Will there be a lot of Fastpass left. And I don’t fully understand how long you have to wait to get another Fastpass once one is booked.

There's a great thread about MaxPass strategy that goes over all of the details.

It's still useful even if you're not in at park opening, in my opinion. The "how long to wait to get another Fastpass" question can be confusing. Basically, you can get another one when you use (check in with) the one you have. However, there's a minimum wait of 30 mins and a maximum wait of 90 mins, meaning if you get a pass for much later in the day you can get another in an hour and a half, and end up holding more than one at a time. Many people stack up a few for the evening and come back to go to them all. Makes for a great evening.

Space Mountain-HORRIBLE...the last few times I rode, it was around at least 30 min waits...last time was on 12/28/19
Star Tours- It’s new and I haven’t used it yet. I will try this on this coming weekend.
Matterhorn- It’s hit or miss...sometimes its open sometimes its not...on my last visit I tried 3 times to ride and SRL was always closed....
Indiana Jones- Have not tried it yet...
Millennium Falcon- I tied it twice on opening weekend and was quickly on the ride...not sure how it is now...
Splash Mountain- the SR line is generally too long and its not worth it...
Grizzly River Run- Never have tried it
Radiator Springs Racers- The best...I always seem to ride within minutes...I usually can ride RSR 3 times in a row very quickly...
Incredicoaster- This is hit or miss...the last few times have been very long waits...the CM's really don't move this line fast enough
Goofy’s Sky School- I never use SRL forthis, its usually a walk-on ride for me...

Depends on time of day and year. There have been plenty of visits where I've walked onto attractions with Single Rider and some days where I've waited up to 45mins+.

I was at the parks today and did single rider for the following attractions:

Smugglers Run: Waited 20mins, posted standby wait 55mins.
Space Mountain: Waited 5mins, posted standby wait 70mins.
Star Tours: Waited 15mins, posted standby wait 45mins.
Incredicoaster : Waited 15mins, posted standby wait 30mins.
Radiator Springs Racers: Waited 15mins, posted standby wait 85mins.
Indiana Jones: Waited 15mins, posted standby wait 45mins.

In the past Grizzly River Run and Goofys Sky School have usually have waits under 10mins regardless of what time of day and year.

The longest Single Rider Lines in the park are Splash Mountain (on hot days), Indiana Jones, and Matterhorn. Even with long single rider lines at those attractions you will still save time vs Standby.

Also should be noted that Midway Mania has a single rider line that is sometimes open, its not advertised but its called the "Moving Buddies" line. If its open, the longest I've waited in it is 25mins.

Space Mountain-HORRIBLE...the last few times I rode, it was around at least 30 min waits...last time was on 12/28/19

Hold on, you visited the park during the busiest time of the year, during which Space Mountain was posting a wait of 120+mins most of the day and by using Single Rider only waited 30mins for it. How is this horrible? You waited a fraction of what you would have waited if you went through standby.

Hold on, you visited the park during the busiest time of the year, during which Space Mountain was posting a wait of 120+mins most of the day and by using Single Rider only waited 30mins for it. How is this horrible? You waited a fraction of what you would have waited if you went through standby.

When I was used to it being a 5 min wait, yes a 30min wait in the SR line is horrible to ME...now did I avoid the 120+ min wait, of course I did...but I could have also avoided the 120+ min wait if I was able to get a FP for the ride, but I couldn't...so for ME, it was HORRIBLE....

I typically only use the single rider lines for RSR, Space Mountain and Smuggler's Run when I'm solo. Radiator Springs - I have never waited more than 10 minutes (even when it is a 80 minute wait stand-by). I choose to use single rider all the time, even when I'm with other adults. It is so much faster than FastPass. Usually it is only a 5 minute wait, in my experience. Space Mountain can be a bit longer - can be up to 15 minutes, but usually 5 minutes or so. It is still much shorter than FastPass. I have only done Smuggler's Run twice using SL and both times I waited less than 10 minutes. Once I was an Engineer and once I was a Gunner. :) The other rides that have single rider, I will FastPass, because it honestly is about the same amount of time and sometimes FastPass is faster.

That’s interesting. We were there the very next day 12/29/19 and found the Space Mtn single rider line to be the shortest one in the park.

At one point, we rode it 3 times in about 25 minutes. I did like how the ride exit would filter right back into the SR line. Very convenient.

We did it several times throughout the day and I don’t think we ever had more than 4 or 5 people ahead of us.

I did quite a lot of single rider lines this week:

Radiator Springs Racers: I did this four times on my trip. Three times it was a walk-on (twice in the evening, once in morning) and about 15 minutes mid afternoon.
Goofys Sky School: Did this twice, waited 5 mins or so both times
Incredicoaster: Less than 5 mins
Toy Story Mania: Moving Buddy, waited around 10 mins.

Space Mountain: Usually a walk-on with only one or two people infront. Only once waited 10 mins or so.
Indiana Jones: Only did this once on my last day as standby was 40 mins and fastpass times a fair way out. Glad I did as only waited 5 mins or so.
Smugglers Run: Did it a few times, always less than 5 mins
Matterhorn: Again did a few times and always less than 5 mins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter