Single Murphy pull down bed for adults?

merida21

Earning My Ears
Will the single Murphy pull down bed fit a 5’11 18 year old? I’m reading its actually smaller than a twin bed. Does anyone have a experience with these?

Will the single Murphy pull down bed fit a 5’11 18 year old? I’m reading its actually smaller than a twin bed. Does anyone have a experience with these?
Are you talking about the fold down child's sleeper in rooms like Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach Resort? It is substantially smaller than a twin bed.

If so Touring Plans describes them like this ... "
  • Who would be most comfortable here?: The sleep surface of the pull-down beds is approximately 66″ x 31″ (for reference, a standard twin bed 75″ x 39″). The pull-down bed is most appropriate for an elementary or preschool age child. Anyone over five feet tall will likely feel cramped. Families of five with young children will have the best experience here."

Last edited:
My daughter is 5’0” and fit on the one at the Polynesian. I would say no to a taller person if it’s the same size bed,

Are you talking about the fold down child's sleeper in rooms like Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach Resort? It is substantially smaller than a twin bed.

If so Touring Plans describes them like this ... "
  • Who would be most comfortable here?: The sleep surface of the pull-down beds is approximately 66″ x 31″ (for reference, a standard twin bed 75″ x 39″). The pull-down bed is most appropriate for an elementary or preschool age child. Anyone over five feet tall will likely feel cramped. Families of five with young children will have the best experience here."
No Boardwalk

No Boardwalk
We just left the Poly and had the under TV single bed for my 8 yr old. He bumped his head on the frame so many times. It's VERY small, even he was slightly uncomfortable. Wouldn't recommend for an 18 yr old boy to sleep for an entire vacation. Unless they're ok with sleeping anywhere, as I know some teens can be! ha

My daughter is 5’0” and fit on the one at the Polynesian. I would say no to a taller person if it’s the same size bed,

My 5’9” daughter sleeps on it and is fine. I think it depends how you sleep. She is a side sleeper who scrunches up to sleep.

My son slept in the one in the living room of a Saratoga Springs 1 bedroom villa. He was 17 and about 5'10" at the time.

Edited to say: He said it was fine and had no problem sleeping there.

As long as the person doesn't need a ton of room to roll around, and isn't prone to sleeping perfectly stretched out at all times with their feet hanging over the edge of the mattress, they should be fine. I've tested it out at 6'1" just to check the size and I could sleep on it if I had to - my feet would rest flat against the cabinet end and my head flush against the opposite side, and i'd need to bend my knees up or stick my feet off the end that extends beyond the cabinet if I tried to stretch out to my full length, but most people, myself included, will sleep with some bending of the knees or waist, and that would be enough for even a 6 footer plus to fit on there.

You said boardwalk so I presume you mean the under the TV pull down murphy in the villas and not the sleeper sofa at the Inn. We've stayed at BWV, CBR and POR all with the same pull down murphy beds under the TV, there's no way anyone over 5'3" would/could sleep on that bed for longer than 1-2 nights and in reality, wouldn't want to. I know 18 year olds are more flexible/roll with the punches than other adults but my daughter last slept on one of these when she was 12, maybe nearing 5' tall and about 80lbs and she said it's not that comfortable. She fit but now at 14 and about my size, she won't do it anymore. I'm 5'3", 118lbs and there's no way I'd sleep on that unless I had no other choice. If it's for a short trip, sure you could make it work but at 5'11", they'll be cramped and hanging off of the bed.

Last edited:
Here's a pic as this might help you too
Disneys-BoardWalk-Villas-studio-Murphy-bed-extended.jpg

I’m 5’9” and I actually liked the pull down. I fought to have that over the couch at the Poly or Boardwalk. I’m a side sleeper though and don’t sprawl or move a lot in my sleep.

My brother who is 5”8ish fit on the pull out bed at Saratoga Springs. I’m not sure if the bed size is different at other resorts, but we were able to book 5 adults into a 1 bed villa at Saratoga so I am guessing that these 5th sleepers have been cleared for adults?

Depending on the size of your suitcases, maybe you could pile them at one end of the bed for the sleeper’s feet to rest on.

We just got back from a split stay at Boulder Ridge and CBR. My 10 year old son is right around 5 feet tall and loved sleeping on the one at Boulder Ridge. When we got to CBR, he slept in it one night and promptly offered it to his 5 year old brother for the next night 😂 Honestly, he slept fine and snored most of the night, but you could tell it was smaller. I’m 5’4” and slept happily on both the Poly and GF tv beds. But I was surprised to learn they weren’t all the same size. The mattress is perfectly comfy enough, but the way you kind of sleep in the box frame could make it uncomfortable for more than a few nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter