• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Single Moms - Driving to WDW with just you and the kid(s)

I drive from Chicago I make sure to pick up movies for my child at redbox before we go you can return the redbox movies in Florida I make sure I keep extra car keys in my pants pocket just it is often easier to pack one bag for a day instead of using a separate bag for each person by packing everyone’s clothes for one day into a single suitcase, you only have to bring one bag into the hotel each night and the others can be left in the locked car
We agreed that breakfast and lunch would be “picnic style” but dinner would be something to look forward to let your child pick the restaurants for dinner a blanket and socks are a must sitting still feet get cold i always pack peppermints , ginger ale, and saltines these are natural motion sickness remedies tame tumultuous tummies
A ball to throw or kick at rest stops is helpful don't forget chargers and extra batteries travel safe

We have driven from MI about 19 times. Best thing we did was portable DVD and audio books. Kids listened to Harry Potter all the way there. We drove to Cleveland TN. Stayed the night then on through to Lake City FL. When we do not have the time, we skip the Lake City stop and continue on to WDW.

I enjoy driving and am contemplating driving from MI to WDW for our next trip. When I was married we drove down quite a few times. Now that its just my 8 year old and I am thinking about trying it. I regularly drive 10-12 hrs in a day, but couldn't drive the 19 hrs straight so we would have to stop for the night... Any other single parents make the drive just you and the kids? Any words of advice?

I'm not single, but I made the drive solo with my daughter (11) and her best friend in March. Other than a little bad weather in the mountains it was quite fun. The girls wanted to stop at every state welcome center and posted the pictures in front of the "Welcome to..." signs to Facebook. We packed some snacks to cut down on stops but it was the drinks that really came in handy. And since both girls had their iPods with some movies and games I didn't really have to entertain them in the car.

On the way down we didn't leave until after school and stopped for the night around Berea, KY. That was too soon to stop/too long a second day of driving, but it was unavoidable with the time we were leaving and the fact that we did hit snow around 10pm in the mountains. On the way back we made it as far as Chattanooga and that was a good place to stop. The second day wasn't bad and even with a couple hours for lunch at the Artisan Center in Berea we were back to the Detroit area by 8pm.

OP, what a great thread! We are driving down in August! It will be me and DH and the kids. I wasn't sure when we would leave, but probably Friday nite once DH is done with work. I would like to attempt to drive through since there are two of us driving and we can sleep (gonna plug in his cpap!!) So we can get there at a decent time on Saturday!

My biggest problem is keeping dd17 and ds12 from killing each other! DH and I will take turns in the back seat! With laptops, tablet, 3DS, ipods I am sure we will be fine!

Plus cruise control!!

I am so looking forward to this vacation (1 week at AKL then The Fantasy), just dreading the drive!

We drove down once before, back in 2004 with mil. Oy, what a nightmare. She didn't share in the driving but boy did she complain. She was so miserable she booked us back on the Autotrain!

I would just be careful where you stay on the road. I find that Hampton Inns are consistently reliable for safety and cleanliness, and I am willing to spend a few extra bucks for that, if necessary (though they are not always more $ than other hotels). I get guides from the major hotel chains and call the hotels before stopping to see if they have a room available, if I haven't already made reservations.

Im so excited to have found this thread. I just decided tonight to make the trip this summer. It would be my first time driving, and Im a little nervous about it.

Not a single mom, but am doing the solo trip from Tx to FL.

4under4- great list, I had a lot of those things planned and your post is great affirmation that I'm on the right track!

Eta: we always drive, this time however, DH isn't driving there with us.

With an 8 yo why enlist their help in planning out the trip..Go get a good USA map or atlas..(Walmart sells a good one cheap).. Get an idea of how far it is and --figure out places to stop along the way. If you are not pressed for time stop and enjoy some sites. Let your child pick a couple of places they want to see or do..Will make for a happy kid and a less stressed out mom.

Most states offer free maps and info--So why not now the two of you sit down and send off some letters asking for maps and state info on that places you will be travleing thru.

Do not forget to get your car serviced and check the spare before you leave. Have AAA?? May want to get it just in case--plus they do offer some discounts for hotels--Also sign up for hotels deals if you think you may stay in one coming and going ( many offer a free stay after staying a few times)

Pack the car up early the day before you leave--less last minute headaches--get a small cooler for drinks and snacks--extra pillow for naps--get your kid a journal and a cheap camera so they can take pics and notes along the way--(You will look back at these in the years to come and be glad you did/great memories)--relax and have fun.

AAA will also give you free maps. All you want/need. You can even order them online w/free shipping.

Not single but I have boats more vacation time than DH. Road trips with Mom are a special thing with DS.

I pay extra to stay at a Marriott when we stop for the night. They seem to be clean and safe. I aim for ones with pools as we usually need to wiggle some waggles out at the end of the day.

I either buy or check out from the library a new audiobook for each leg of the trip. Last year at age 5, the big hits were the Mouse and the Motorcycle, the Trumpet of the Swan and the Cricket in Times Square.

Definitely have one bag that is what you take in to the hotel for the night if you can get away with it.

We usually have a big cooler of stuff for the trip and then a smaller one that has snacks that I keep next to me to dole out as needed. Don't get snacks that you wouldn't let them eat normally. A hyped up kid confined to the car for 12 hours isn't a lot of fun!

I give DS a budget for "crap he can buy at rest stops/bathroom breaks." (I don't call it that to him.) Since I prefer to stop at Wal-Marts, McDonalds, Targets, etc., for bathroom breaks, I know his eyes are going to go wide and want stuff. I think one of his best memories of the last trip was buying a Cars coloring book at a Wal-Mart. I let him do the self-check out and he got to use the "bag of change" we had saved for the trip to pay. Sure it took a few more minutes to pay while he feed in every penny I had saved for the last year but he LOVED it and there was no line behind us so why not?

Limit potty breaks to establishments that are known for consistently clean bathrooms whenever possible. There was an Exxon in NC that still gives me nightmares. McDonalds are the best.

Don't experiment with local cuisine on the road unless you have a personal recommendation from someone you trust. Stick to national or regional chains.

Hide some sort of surprise amusement for each leg of the trip. It doesn't have to be expensive--a fresh box of markers and a pad of paper can be a huge hit on day 2.

I actually limit ipad and video time in the car to the same limits we have at home--1 hour of video and 1 hour of ipad. We listen to audiobooks, we talk, and we play I spy. It works for us.

Mostly, don't stress!

Good luck!

DS6 and I do a solo 8 hour trip just fine. Eight hours is about all I can do alone in a day but it's more me than him. We do things a little bit different. I like daylight driving alone with him. 8-4 works best for us. We only stop once and that is for like 10 minutes. We play a game of seeing how fast we can get our gas and happy meal and get back in the car. We take the exact same route and always stop the same place. Longer, more frequent stops really don't help us our a lot. We would rather just get there!!!

In the car:
-Still have him in a 5 point harness so I don't have to remind him to sit up correctly.
-Have him in the middle in case I absolutely have to hand him something.
-Put him in charge of my cell phone (he can respond to text and calls) AND the GPS. He loves telling me how much father to go and what road to turn on.
-Use a over the front seat storage organizer so he can reach everything.
-Have all electronics charged and ready (ipad, DS etc)
-Talk to him almost constantly except when we is playing games etc.
-Establish a rest time of an hour. Nothing out and no talking. We used to sleep and sometimes he still will.

Hotels-
Stop before dark. Lots of mom's don't but that is just me.
Nicer hotel with inside corridors.
Small overnight bag with just what we need for one night.

AAA for sure

Geographically single mom here. ;)

LOTS of good tips here already. Ones that haven't been mentioned:

I didn't see if your child is a son or daughter, but a few years ago DS decided he cannot be coerced into a ladies room, so rest stops are out. We'll usually stop at fast food establishments or Starbucks for restroom breaks.

When planning where to stop for the night keep the shorter drive for day 2. No matter how excited you are to get where you are going the second long day of driving sucks!

Also, look for chains that offer free breakfasts. One less expense and one less stop! Some, like Hampton Inn will even give you a sack breakfast so you can load right up!

One of my favorite places to stop on a road trip is cracker barrel. I get tired of fast food, and need a little longer of a stop than fast food stops provide. So we get to sit down, play around, and the kids can pick a new trinket from the store before we go. And I'll usually pick up a new CD or two.

If your 8 year old is into video games, buy a new game before you leave. I did that the last time we drove to Idaho, and I did not hear one word from my son until we were about an hour from home, when he said, "I beat it!"

Great tips! DS is a huge fan of the elastic waist sweatpants or shorts for traveling! We also pack a hotel bag as well as grocery bags, old towel, and change of clothes for carsick prone DS. He now takes Dramamine & zones out for awhile. Along those lines, I take a small bag with thermometer, basic meds, band aids & benedryl.

We like Country Inn & Suites. I used to belong to the Choice Hotels program but stayed in one too many cruddy hotels to keep using them. The free nights after 2 stays was a nice perk since we just sleep & go but there are some pretty bad choices out there. Check tripadvisor for good recommendations!

Also, when everyone's nerves are getting shot, I give them a convenience store "pick what you want" stop. We don't usually buy most of the junky food there but I'll let them pick whatever they want on that stop. DS found he loves Suzy Qs during one of those. :laughing:

Cracker barrel is a great lunch stop though it can be expensive to navigate through the shopping area!

DS 6 will still go in the women's room with but insists on his own stall. Our rule is that we have to do stall's next to each other and who ever is done first stands outside the other stall. We have to be able to see the shoes of the person waiting at all times. I would prefer the family restrooms but there is usually a line and people with babies waiting so I don't try for those.

I am SO glad I came across this thread! I was considering driving down with DS5 this fall. I live south of Milwaukee, and am a little nervous about going through Chicago. I wasn't until my brother made it a big deal. Can anyone give me any guidance about driving through there? I used to be a nervous nelly just driving the interstate, but got over that. I've never driven to Chicago or through it, myself. Is there long way around it that's safe? Anyone know? :confused3 Any help with going through, or around would be helpful!

Also, a few of you mentioned bad experiences at rest stops. This made my imagination just run wild. Would you be good enough to share the experiences, so I know what to expect and can prepare myself mentally and understand the red flags. TIA!

I am SO glad I came across this thread! I was considering driving down with DS5 this fall. I live south of Milwaukee, and am a little nervous about going through Chicago. I wasn't until my brother made it a big deal. Can anyone give me any guidance about driving through there? I used to be a nervous nelly just driving the interstate, but got over that. I've never driven to Chicago or through it, myself. Is there long way around it that's safe? Anyone know? :confused3 Any help with going through, or around would be helpful!

Also, a few of you mentioned bad experiences at rest stops. This made my imagination just run wild. Would you be good enough to share the experiences, so I know what to expect and can prepare myself mentally and understand the red flags. TIA!

About rest stops- nothing super awful, just regular interstate rest stop issues. Some are very nice, but most don't have paper towels, hot water, or soap. Lots of steel toilets. If you are traveling on a long holiday time or in the middle of nowhere you'll wait awhile, and they will be messier. Some states will close and block off the rest areas after dark.
For my personal family, DS will hold it for 8 hours rather than go into a ladies' room, and NO WAY am I letting him go into a highway rest stop alone. So we just look for fast food or Starbucks- you'll usually always find a clean well-stocked restroom. :)

I did this trip many times from Ontario, Canada as a single mom with four children. One of my big worries was that something would happen to me (I'd get sick or get hurt somehow) and be stranded with my kids or be unable to look after my kids. (For example, what if we got into a car accident and I was hurt or killed - what would happen to my kids? Or if I came down with a bad case of food poisoning - how would I look after four little kids while barfing in a hotel bathroom?)

I know, unlikely, and nothing ever did happen, but I made preparations in advance: talked to friends and made a plan about what they would do (fly down to wherever we were) and had little cards with the phone numbers and information that I gave to my kids just in case. They were instructed that if anything happened they were to given these cards to police/hotel manager/doctor/nurse/EMT, etc. Made us all feel better.

TP

LOL I grew up just outside of Chicago and I promise you will be fine. Just try and miss traffic by driving through before 6am, between 10a and 2p, or after 8p and you will be fine. If you really want to avoide Chicago all together you could head toward Madison and take 94 to 39 on down through the middle of the state.

Rest areas are fine during the day when they are staffed it is at night that they get seedy. The first rest area in GA we stopped around 10p to pick up a roomsaver magazine and a man in a prison shirt stopped my son when he was about 16 giving him a sob story and looking for money. He was about 20 feet from me throwing out our trash. As soon as I saw the guy approach him I started walking fast toward them with my mace out telling my son to move away from the man and I scared the crap out of the guy and he took off running. lol I guess he wasn't that tough and had to be stupid to stop kid while mama bear was right there. I will never stop at rest areas after dark again though.

Good to know. I'll be adding mace to my pre-trip shopping list. :rolleyes1

Wonderful info all around! Anything else?

Not a single mom but something that may help-Our drive is 18ish hours, depending on how many breaks we take. Before we left I found a small, plastic desk type thing on clearance at Walmart for $3 not really knowing if it would be handy but figured for that price, may as well try. It was the best three bucks I spent for the travel. Seriously. It goes over their lap, has a drink holder spot and thin cubbies on each side for other things.

He used it for his dvd player, for eating snacks, for doing art, for just about everything on the trip. Now that I know how handy it was, I'd pay as much as $20 for one. Luckily they're just cheap plastic.

I enjoy driving and am contemplating driving from MI to WDW for our next trip. When I was married we drove down quite a few times. Now that its just my 8 year old and I am thinking about trying it. I regularly drive 10-12 hrs in a day, but couldn't drive the 19 hrs straight so we would have to stop for the night... Any other single parents make the drive just you and the kids? Any words of advice?

Single Mom here. :wave2:

I have driven from central IN to WDW twice. I always stopped in Valdasta, GA for a rest then left early the next morning. Once with a 7 y/o and another time with a 9 y/o and 14 month old. Just be open to stops if needed. It makes the trip less stressful. My oldest travels well, but my youngest gets bored easily.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter