• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sims in Japan for iPhone?

Mushu mama

Earning My Ears
As a heavy social media user, I am keen to tweet/instagram/facebook on the go while in Tokyo. I especially want to be able to access the new 30th Anniversary photo app with 'only in the park' features, which I've downloaded ready to go.

Does anyone know a cost effective way of accessing a sim for use in Japan - either before arriving or somewhere I can track one down while there?

Just allowing roaming from my home account would cost more than my entire trip, and as we're traveling on a tight budget, it might come down to just accessing the wifi in the hotel, but I'd rather be able to connect where ever we are at the time.

The other alternative - which I do when I'm visiting the US, is just buy a phone there... does anyone know if that would be the cheapest option?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

While not the cheapest option (and it's data only, no voice service), a convenient option is to buy a short-term SIM from b-mobile online and have it delivered to your hotel - see http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/.

Note that it's almost impossible to buy a phone in Japan if you're not a legal resident, although renting is an option.

Yes I bought a visitor SIM card from econnect - it lasts for 30 days. It's data only, but is unlimited. As long as your phone is unlocked. It came with easy to understand instructions and worked fine. My problem was I only have an iphone3 so the photo quality is poor and I didn't want to send them.

We also rented a portable wifi for DD's laptop and her phone, with the aim of being able to split up and still contact each other. We found the battery life on this wasn't good enough for doing this. But it worked fine in the room.

Both items were delivered to our hotel and were waiting for us on arrival.

DO NOT USE ROAMING!!!!

Thanks for the info guys. I checked both places, but it seems the econnect will best suit my purposes.

Given that the sims aren't compatible with iPhone 5, the portable wifi will be the best option, and will enable my DD to share the unlimited data for her phone as well.

One thing I couldn't find out was if it mattered if your phone was locked or not with the portable wifi option...
Also Battymum, what was the speed and coverage like in the parks area? Also, I understand that there is free wifi in the lobby of the Sheraton, just wondering if you tried this option and how good it was to use?

Sorry to bombard you with questions :blush:

Thanks for your help :)

It won't matter if the phones are locked for the portable wifi.

We didnt use the portable wifi in the parks much because of the battery life, I think you can buy an additional battery pack or something. We also found that although you can connect 5 devices to it, if you used more than one at a time it would slow it down considerably. But I guess it's the same network as the sim was using and that was fine.

I didn't have any luck connecting to the wifi in the lobby with my ipad, I didn't try with my phone as I had the SIM card - there are computers you can use, but that doesn't help when wanting to upload pictures,

I would keep checking, surely they will bring out a sim soon that is compatible with iphone5. Everyone over there has them, we found it really hard to buy a cover for an iPhone 4.

Are you travelling with a laptop or ipad as well, if so you will want the wifi.

Yep, my carry on is always like a tech store LOL, but this time I'm just taking a notebook, portable HD, multiple cameras and of course, my phone and all the associated plugs and very handy universal charger.

Even with a slower speed, I think a shared wifi will be exactly right for writing on my blog and connecting up in the parks.

Thanks for the help :)

We used a portable Wi-Fi device in Tokyo and it worked just fine for our 2 iphones and laptop. With 2 phones logged on at the same time, it was comparable to AT&T 3g access in my hometown. The device was less than $10/day and delivered to our hotel the day before we arrived. The connection worked in most underground subway stations but did NOT work when the subway was traveling underground from station to station.

If you don't have an extra battery back, you can try finding a used one in Akihabara for under $10. A new one cost us a little less than $20.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter