Sim/Cell Cards

Is it possible to receive and send texts using your CDN phone number while on wifi with the T-Mobile sim card in the phone? And by text, I mean iMessage (iphone to iphone). I wouldn't think this would incur any charges on either phone, but I might be wrong.

Yes - iMessage would work while using the data from the TMobile card, or while on wifi that is publicly or privately accessible. No charges. But anyone who doesn't have an iphone, that sort of text would send as SMS and if your primary SIM card wasn't in the phone, you wouldn't receive it. See above re: Whatsapp being an option.
So I am not tech savy..and use Android..so no clue on Iphones...but pp here looks like they had the answer.

we just purchased 4 Airalo US plans for four phones in my family. Be sure to use a referral code when buying your first plan. It automatically saves you $3 on your plan, and gives the referral code owner $3 as well. I have a code and shared that with three family member, so they each saved $3, and i was able to accumulate $9 in referral fees to apply to my plan! Even if you are just purchasing one plan, lots of people advertise their referral code so that you can at least save $3.

we just purchased 4 Airalo US plans for four phones in my family. Be sure to use a referral code when buying your first plan. It automatically saves you $3 on your plan, and gives the referral code owner $3 as well. I have a code and shared that with three family member, so they each saved $3, and i was able to accumulate $9 in referral fees to apply to my plan! Even if you are just purchasing one plan, lots of people advertise their referral code so that you can at least save $3.

If one of you have a referral code you want to PM me, please do :)

Usage: I will say that despite using my mobile all the time and hotspotting for the kids, we only burned through 1.5 GB. Still, better to pay the extra $5 and overestimate instead of getting throttled.

We are going to Disneyland in Sept, Arriving in the afternoon of the 6th, parks 7/8/9, then heading home the 10th, do you think 1 gig for DH and each is enough? Mainly for using Disney App really.

For travel, consider a free trial through one of the mobile companies. My son used the TMobile 30 day trial successfully and is now using the Visible 15 day trial (girlfriend in the US).

We are all going to use the US Mobile 10 day trial for our WDW trip in mid August. My mother has an Android without an eSIM, so I requested a free physical SIM mailed. Free mailing to the US, something like $10 to mail to Canada. I think all offer a physical SIM as well.

Mint Mobile also offers a free trial. But only 250MB data, 250 talk and 250 text for 7 days so not as useful as unlimited.

I believe most free trials can be redone after about 6 months or so. For TMobile, they wanted a US phone number (Canadian numbers didn’t work) so we used a free Talkatone app (Google Voice prob works too but not sure if u can download in Canada without switching the app store to the US) to generate a US phone number.

For US mobile, I used an ancient US number from another trip years ago that has long been deactivated and had no issues.

For those who may still be following this thread - recently back from a couple weeks at WDW. The Keepgo eSIM worked amazingly well. I just turned off the roaming on my primary plan (which is with Telus), did not allowing plan "switching" and see the cell data to the Keepgo data plan. No issues at all. Plus I could still received and make phone calls on my primary number with wifi-calling enabled. Will definitely use this product again!

Hi there, so looking at the website, you bought the Lifetime pre-paid plan? Or did you buy a Lifetime World SIM card?

You can use KEVIN1212

We are going to Disneyland in Sept, Arriving in the afternoon of the 6th, parks 7/8/9, then heading home the 10th, do you think 1 gig for DH and each is enough? Mainly for using Disney App really.
I think it should be fine. If you needed to top up later, it would only be $5 so you're not exactly breaking the bank for an extra Gig.

Wow this is complicated. When I went the other way (US to Canada), all I had to do was pay $5 per day for access to my normal pool of data, voice, and text. Do y'all not have something similar?

Wow this is complicated. When I went the other way (US to Canada), all I had to do was pay $5 per day for access to my normal pool of data, voice, and text. Do y'all not have something similar?
Yes, but they charge around $12 CDN/day (pretax) for that, with a $240 max. For my 9-day trip, that's an extra $96, and puts a serious dent into my beer money.

Generally speaking, Canadians pay a high rate for mobile service relative to the rest of the world, and this includes using the service we already paid for, when in the US. $12/day really adds up!

Unfortunately my phone is under a corporate contract and doesn't have this feature.

Ah, so it could be simple, but if it's simple, it's expensive.
Correct,,,but even at $5 per day,,,a 10 day trip is $50 plus tax,,,more than monthly,,,so if I can get something cheaper,,I will.

Hi there, so looking at the website, you bought the Lifetime pre-paid plan? Or did you buy a Lifetime World SIM card?
I bought a lifetime eSIM - data works in both US and Europe. There’s were multiple to choose from-I believe mine is Orion.

Hi! I just saw this. I just got back from our Hawaii and California trip. The Airalo esim card worked like a charm. We bought 10 Gb each and I used mine extensively over 13 nights and I came home with 3.75 Gb remaining. Highly recommend. Let me know if you still need a referral code and I can PM you.

Last edited:
We are here for the month and picked up a Boost mobile 30 day sim card for a little over 20$. Connection has mostly been good. Sure wish I could use esim or have more options with my carier (Telus).

I used Airalo this weekend with mixed results. We were in the Adirondack region of New York State. I could get data to my apps but not Safari ( my browser). I know that was likely something to do with my settings but I couldn’t figure it out and I couldn’t look it up since I didn’t have data. So I could watch YouTube for example but couldn’t Google anything or use some apps.

Also the cell service was awful where I was anyway so since the data is through AT&T or TMobile I couldn’t access it for some of the drive through dead zones. I think that will be less of a problem in Orlando.

I’m totally willing to give it another shot but I have to work it all out before Disney. I don’t want to be stuck trying to make the MDE app work when it’s almost time to book Rise of the Resistance.
Can park wifi work to make the bookings for LL and Genie +?? otherwise, I think I will just pay the $12 a day roam like home fee to make sure I have good data while we are in Disney for our 2 park days prior to our cruise in October. All this techy stuff of switching out sim cards, buying stuff on amazon for my phone, etc.... is too over my head, LOL . I just wanted to go in airplane mode and use Wi Fi whenever possible as my boys and hubby are all with me (no one else I would need to phone while on vacay)

Can park wifi work to make the bookings for LL and Genie +?? otherwise, I think I will just pay the $12 a day roam like home fee to make sure I have good data while we are in Disney for our 2 park days prior to our cruise in October. All this techy stuff of switching out sim cards, buying stuff on amazon for my phone, etc.... is too over my head, LOL . I just wanted to go in airplane mode and use Wi Fi whenever possible as my boys and hubby are all with me (no one else I would need to phone while on
Can park wifi work to make the bookings for LL and Genie +?? otherwise, I think I will just pay the $12 a day roam like home fee to make sure I have good data while we are in Disney for our 2 park days prior to our cruise in October. All this techy stuff of switching out sim cards, buying stuff on amazon for my phone, etc.... is too over my head, LOL . I just wanted to go in airplane mode and use Wi Fi whenever possible as my boys and hubby are all with me (no one else I would need to phone while on vacay)
Iw

For two days I would roam like home. Park wifi has been unreliable for me these past weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter