Sim cards/phones in Orlando

peachiepie

Mouseketeer
We're off to Disney in October. When we went last year we had a sim card (Three I think) that we bought before we went. However none of the major networks seem to be doing free usage in America any more (we mainly want data rather than calls).
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it better to pay to use our current sim cards, buy new ones here or pick up American ones once we land?
We are only there for a week.

Have you looked into getting an eSIM? If you've got a fairly recent iPhone or Android model (doesn't have to be super new, just one from the last 4-5 years) they will support a second SIM card, except it's a virtual one instead of a physical one. What you then do is buy an eSIM from a US network before you go that will provide you with data only, while your normal SIM card stays in your phone for phone calls and texts (so your UK number doesn't change).

You can find a clearer summary here if you want more details: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/what-is-an-esim/

I haven't personally used one yet, but when we're in Orlando in September I am looking at getting a 10GB eSIM for 30 days and seeing how it goes - that should be plenty enough data, as I'll only use it out and about because the phone will be on Wi-Fi when in the hotel.

Unfortunately although my phone is less than 2 years old it isn't esim compatible. Next time I get I new phone I'll make sure it is (but unless I have a disaster that won't be before October)

I have O2 and certain plans include free roaming in the US (in addition to free roaming in Europe). I switched to them from Three just for this reason. Ironic, because I originally went with Three because they were the only one to have free roaming in Italy and US.

Are you staying onsite? If so, you may not need a sim. I just used WDW WiFi and had no problems using MDE, Touring plans, booking Genie+, boarding groups, booking Lyft and Uber etc. Even the buses have WiFi and at most you may experience a blank spot when immediately leaving a bus and then joining the park/hotel WiFi.

We daughter was recently hacked by someone who persuaded them to send them an e sim on her mobile telephone account. They took over her telephone effectively, changed passwords, accessed her bank accounts and started to withdraw cash. Luckily, her bank were suspicious and used voice recognition. As a result I am wary of digital sim cards.

Have you looked into getting an eSIM? If you've got a fairly recent iPhone or Android model (doesn't have to be super new, just one from the last 4-5 years) they will support a second SIM card, except it's a virtual one instead of a physical one. What you then do is buy an eSIM from a US network before you go that will provide you with data only, while your normal SIM card stays in your phone for phone calls and texts (so your UK number doesn't change).

You can find a clearer summary here if you want more details: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/what-is-an-esim/

I haven't personally used one yet, but when we're in Orlando in September I am looking at getting a 10GB eSIM for 30 days and seeing how it goes - that should be plenty enough data, as I'll only use it out and about because the phone will be on Wi-Fi when in the hotel.
I am with EE and have unlimited free calls and texts in the US.

That is very unusual for EE, not something they offer for free any more
I think it’s attached to quite a few old EE contracts. My daughter is with EE, and the hacker telephoned them and tried 9 times to get through the security questions . On the 10th occasion he was only asked, ‘what is the name of your telephone?’ (Easy guess) and ‘what country did you make your last call from?’ Another easy guess! Out went the digital sim .

I’ve bought a 3 SIM for our trip, covers roaming in USA.

Last time was included as part of my contract but moved provider when 3 removed roaming.

Look on Amazon for Three PAYG 10GB SIM

I think it’s attached to quite a few old EE contracts.
Yes, my son has a max sim with free BT sports and free worldwide use of mins/data but my other son has a new contract and he gets nothing

We are travelling in Sept and will pay around £10 for a three sim on Amazon which is preloaded with 10gb of data. I usually just swap out my normal sim and everything remains as normal. If you primarily use Whatsapp then you don’t have to worry about telling your friends and family your new number as it just continues as normal.

I look into the Three SIM with 10gb of data (I just can't work out the concept of how long 10gbs will last!)

I look into the Three SIM with 10gb of data (I just can't work out the concept of how long 10gbs will last!)
I don’t even switch my mobile data on, depends what you will use it for but I don’t use any data other than when there’s free wifi

If you don't watch or post videos or post hundreds of photo on socials when you're not on WiFi, 10GB will last a lifetime.
The resort WiFi will cover you 85% of the time anyway.
Just be sure to set any Cloud synch service to WiFi only.

For comparison sake, I have 8GB data per month on my contract in the UK (unfortunately no ability to use it abroad - boo!). The only time I use mobile data is when I am on my train commute, which is about 2 hours each day (at home and at work, the phone is on Wi-Fi). Only when I have a month where I am heavily on YouTube or another streaming service do I even come near my 8GB - a small amount of streaming plus your normal regular surfing easily comes in under the limit. So I can't see you getting close to 10GB in a two week holiday unless you're going crazy with data.

I think that fair usage means the maximum amount you can use abroad is 12gb anyway however like others have said it’s very unlikely you’ll get anywhere close to this. The WiFi in the parks/hotels is pretty good so you’ll use that the majority of the time anyway.

We are on sky mobile, i think we just pay £2 per day for any usage and it gives us access to all our usual calls and data we would have back home.

can I ask a basic question on the back of this…? We had no problems with using our data last year but I couldn’t seem to make calls to US numbers so i struggled to get in contact with our driver when we arrived at MCO. Is there something basic i need to do in order to dial us numbers?

We used EE - £10 for a month add on. Well worth it. Signal was brilliant aswell had no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter