Silver Springs Glass Bottom Boats?

MagicPrincess

DIS Veteran
My dad suggested we stop and ride the glass bottom boats in Silver Springs...

Now, they haven't been there in over 50 years LOL so I was wondering if anyone can tell me a little about it!

We have two children, 8 and 4, and I thought they might enjoy it if they actually get to see alot of cool things!

Thoughts, opinions???
Thanks so much!

If you google it you'll see loads of info. I grew up on that place as our family had a place nearby and we'd visit each time we went to Fla. It surely has changed over the years and has much much more than years ago when it was just some boats and some fish :lmao: Then a petting zoo and now....looks like much more. I am sure someone will be able to give you some first hand knowledge. It got me wondering, years ago Weeki Wachi was another thing we used to go see.....too funny...time sure does fly by :wizard:

I did it when I was a kid, probably 40 years ago!:thumbsup2 It was pretty neat to see way down in the springs, can't imagine what all they have added since then. I need to check out the website too, have a 10 day trip coming up in September and may have to add this to my list of to dos.

We did the glass bottom boat when I was kid too, about 35 yrs ago! I don't remember much about it other then we loved it :)

HIJACK for a moment: any of you guys do Weeki Wachi, the mermaid thing with the mermaids swimming and doing a show???? OH, the memories.....popcorn::

I don't specifically remember Weeki Wachi (sp) but I do remember seeing the water ski show. I think that was right on Disney but I could be wrong! Anyone remember that? Went for the first time in 1976.

About 5 years ago, we lived in Lady Lake, and went to Silver Springs several times. It is a very pretty place---a great place for picnics. I think they have a petting zoo, or they did. The glass bottom boats are neat for kids, too. Look on their website, because they were offering BOGO free on adult admissions.

I don't specifically remember Weeki Wachi (sp) but I do remember seeing the water ski show. I think that was right on Disney but I could be wrong! Anyone remember that? Went for the first time in 1976.

The ski show was at Cypress Gardens. Did it close?

I went to Silver Springs about 35 years ago too. I don't remember anything about it though. I was a tot.

thanks everyone! I think I'll look into it, see if maybe we can make a stop on the way home! I think the kids might enjoy it! :)

The ski show was at Cypress Gardens. Did it close?.

Cypress Gardens has undergone several ownership changes since the original owners - the Pope family - sold it in the 1980s. Most recently it has closed, opened with some new rides, closed seasonally for a slightly extended period, then closed altogether while the owners tried to re-organize under a new business model and then, finally, sold the business this year. I understand that some of the traditional Cypress Gardens features will remain in place when the park is re-opened at some point in the future as Legoland Florida.

Dick Taylor

I went to Silver Springs last August and really enjoyed it. There are three glass bottom boat rides. There was a petting zoo, bird show, jeep buggy ride, an area to feed giraffes, and you can watch alligator feedings. They filmed some Tarzan movies and Seaquest there.

If you like animals and viewing nature then you will like Silver Springs. I don't think teens would enjoy it as much. It's a much quieter and more relaxing experience than going to a theme park.

I did it when I was a kid, probably 40 years ago!:thumbsup2 It was pretty neat to see way down in the springs, can't imagine what all they have added since then. I need to check out the website too, have a 10 day trip coming up in September and may have to add this to my list of to dos.
you and me both.. I think I was there about 45 years ago, if not longer. I live here in Fl and have never taken my children (now 17, 21 & 23)

Real ,Underwater Breathing Mermaids :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
And I also recall the boat shows at Cypress, they were actually quite good....
But most of all, I remember all the BUFFETS we ate at, I come from a large family and when we ate out, it was Buffet :lmao::lmao:

went years ago too and took a trip a couple of years ago.

it was disappointing - since the state of fl now owns it and allows other boats in the area - it has gone down hill.

lots of the cute colorfully fish were gone.

it silly had fish - but mostly the brown ones.

now the rest of the stuff is great.

Just came back from Silver Springs had a good time. First time seeing Kodiak bears up close. I enjoyed the glass bottom boats the most and The jeep ride was ok. Checked out the Panther/cougar section and sorta "ruined their moment" lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter