• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Silly question, son still struggles with bedwetting?

That style of room may have a pull down Murphy bed, a couch bed and a top bunk. The couch bed is a twin- it flips from the cushions- not a pull out. They will be reallllly tight if sharing. If you just have the two boys- they can each have a bed on the floor. If you have a third, one will have to go in the top bunk to give everyone a bed. But I’m not sure sharing that closely will work well unless they are tiny.

Now some of those rooms only sleep 4 and don’t have the Murphy bed.

Oh that's actually a bit problematic then. Hmm...gonna have to ask my SO about the config of our specific room.

This is a silly question...but do you think with the couch bed--are we able to get a mattress protector/chux pad on them without too much struggle?

My hope is that we can use both a pad, in conjunction with a pull-up/goodnite, or if possible. Maybe even a sleeping bag?

What is this alarm? Is it just a normal alarm that goes off or a bed wetting alarm? My son is creeping up on 9 and he's starting to be embarrassed about wearing Goodnites.
I'm actually curious about the alarm as well.

I think it'll be too late to attempt in time for our cruise-- but afterwords, I may have to look into this.

Only concern is that our boys share a room, so if the alarm itself is *loud* that would be a major problem, as his brother is a quite light sleeper.

If you don't mind me asking, do you all find the Goodnites work fairly well/consistently? He tends to wet heavily specifically when we're on vacation, no matter what we do, which worries me a bit. Hoping that with a absorbent pad/Goodnites combined, we'll be in good shape. But I guess it'll just depend.

If you don't mind me asking, do you all find the Goodnites work fairly well/consistently? He tends to wet heavily specifically when we're on vacation
DD wet heavily at night. Even as a baby. I used to size-up her night time diaper, and she "outgrew" the Goodnites even though by suggested weight they should have been right. By about age 8 or 9 we had switched to adult Prevail (we tried several brands, that one fit well enough that it didn't leak).

You should be able to put down a waterproof pad on any of the DCL beds. I would not plan to try a full mattress cover, though. We traveled with the disposable Goodnites pads but they tend to be smaller so occasionally we also brought the pad we used at home which wrapped around the sides of a twin bed to tuck in and covered the full width (not full length).

You might try all 3 -- the sleep pull-up, disposable pad as back-up and a re-usable as extra back-up. There is laundry onboard though I'm sure you'd prefer not to need to do laundry, but if jammies get wet you probably would anyway.

I'm actually curious about the alarm as well.

I think it'll be too late to attempt in time for our cruise-- but afterwords, I may have to look into this.

Only concern is that our boys share a room, so if the alarm itself is *loud* that would be a major problem, as his brother is a quite light sleeper.

If you don't mind me asking, do you all find the Goodnites work fairly well/consistently? He tends to wet heavily specifically when we're on vacation, no matter what we do, which worries me a bit. Hoping that with a absorbent pad/Goodnites combined, we'll be in good shape. But I guess it'll just depend.
I'm recommend an absorbent pad also, my son slept extremely hard on the cruise we went on and he did wet through his Goodnites one night, not super bad but bad enough to need new sheets. Sizing up can help a bit I think.

DD wet heavily at night. Even as a baby. I used to size-up her night time diaper, and she "outgrew" the Goodnites even though by suggested weight they should have been right. By about age 8 or 9 we had switched to adult Prevail (we tried several brands, that one fit well enough that it didn't leak).

You should be able to put down a waterproof pad on any of the DCL beds. I would not plan to try a full mattress cover, though. We traveled with the disposable Goodnites pads but they tend to be smaller so occasionally we also brought the pad we used at home which wrapped around the sides of a twin bed to tuck in and covered the full width (not full length).

You might try all 3 -- the sleep pull-up, disposable pad as back-up and a re-usable as extra back-up. There is laundry onboard though I'm sure you'd prefer not to need to do laundry, but if jammies get wet you probably would anyway.

I'm recommend an absorbent pad also, my son slept extremely hard on the cruise we went on and he did wet through his Goodnites one night, not super bad but bad enough to need new sheets. Sizing up can help a bit I think.

Using multiple layers is actually brilliant. For sure prefer not to have to do laundry, if possible. I'm actually planning on getting everyone's bags packed later tonight however-- so depending on how efficiently I can get the kids' clothes loaded up, we might *have* to do laundry regardless.

My husband mentioned something (jokingly, I think..?). But...would it be silly if we were to possibly double up on the Goodnites? One over top the other?

I feel like that would be overly bulky/miserable for little man. But he mentioned it when I told him about the 'layering' idea (of the re-usable/disposable pads, in addition to a pull-up). Saying that would be 1 more layer against leaks.

Would that be goofy?

Last edited:

This was recommended by our pediatrician. There is a sensor that sounds the alarm as soon as any wet is detected. I was doubtful this would work, but it did!

Attachments

• IMG_3382.jpeg
    IMG_3382.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Both my son and youngest daughter wet the bed until around 10, and 8 respectively. Alarm woke everyone up except my son. He just finally outgrew the wetting. With daughter it would go off when she sweat (she’s hot when she sleeps). It would go off all the time. She finally just outgrew it too. Used both the ninjamas and the good nights for them and they worked equally well.

Both my son and youngest daughter wet the bed until around 10, and 8 respectively. Alarm woke everyone up except my son. He just finally outgrew the wetting. With daughter it would go off when she sweat (she’s hot when she sleeps). It would go off all the time. She finally just outgrew it too. Used both the ninjamas and the good nights for them and they worked equally well.
Out of curiosity, did you find that one worked better than the other?

Finally talk to DS about possibly wearing one for the trip. And he responded sort of how I expected - which is to say he was nervous about his siblings knowing (both of whom know he wets the bed -.-).

However, he did seem willing to at least consider it, when I explained to him how tricky dealing with an accident on the ship would be.

It would be incredibly uncomfortable and I am not sure someone could easily wear two at the same time.
I figured it would be miserable. My husband thought it would be a good idea to 'add another layer' so to speak. But I seriously doubt DS would go for that anyways.

He's hesitant enough over just wearing one. :P

Out of curiosity, did you find that one worked better than the other?

Finally talk to DS about possibly wearing one for the trip. And he responded sort of how I expected - which is to say he was nervous about his siblings knowing (both of whom know he wets the bed -.-).

However, he did seem willing to at least consider it, when I explained to him how tricky dealing with an accident on the ship would be.
If I had to pick I think the Ninjamas seemed slimmer maybe? But I usually got whichever one I had a coupon for or was on sale.

How wet does he get? Wouldn’t it bother the other child sleeping in the same bed to get wet?

The alarm system we used in the 1960s was very expensive. Just a rental. But took very little time to achieve the desired result. Seeing the above post, it is nice to see it is now reasonable price. I think it was many hundreds for us.

As I have said, I slept through the few times it went off. And everyone else woke up. But then problem was fixed - permanently.

I had wondered about your sleeping arrangements with the boys in the bed. Glad someone asked.

The sofa back flips forward, revealing a twin mattress. This is a little lower than the bed height, good for kids. It is easy for the steward to change the sheets. Also easy for you to strip the bed if necessary. Other brother can sleep in upper bed/ bunk. It would definitely be easier to change the twin mattress than the big bed. I had to strip the bed on the last cruise because I spilled water on it. i think there was a pad on the mattreas.

Suggestion: ask the steward to leave an extra set of sheets and blanket in the room for just in case.

Do not feel you need to wash the linens! But be aware there is the launderette if you have wet pjs. Wash and dry are about $2-3 each. Bring along your favorite detergent pods or buy a single quantity of Tide for $2-3. You can put the charge in your room card. I think they are always open.

Pads, diapers, whatever : bring them, use them, hope it wasn’t necessary, but preparedness makes it a whole lot less dramatic.

Good luck! And have a great cruise.

How wet does he get? Wouldn’t it bother the other child sleeping in the same bed to get wet?
It's a bit tricky because it seems to vary so much. However on vacation/camping trips it seems like it tends to ramp up pretty consistently.

We've found rather than one sort of single 'major' accident during the night, it seems to be more a couple of smaller, more frequent leaks. (from cleaning up his bed at midnight, then finding it wet again a few hours later).

His younger brother is actually somewhat recently potty trained, and is a much lighter sleeper. So if the bed were to get wet, it likely wouldn't wake up our older son, but almost certainly would cause a huge fuss with our youngest.

The alarm system we used in the 1960s was very expensive. Just a rental. But took very little time to achieve the desired result. Seeing the above post, it is nice to see it is now reasonable price. I think it was many hundreds for us.

As I have said, I slept through the few times it went off. And everyone else woke up. But then problem was fixed - permanently.

I had wondered about your sleeping arrangements with the boys in the bed. Glad someone asked.

The sofa back flips forward, revealing a twin mattress. This is a little lower than the bed height, good for kids. It is easy for the steward to change the sheets. Also easy for you to strip the bed if necessary. Other brother can sleep in upper bed/ bunk. It would definitely be easier to change the twin mattress than the big bed. I had to strip the bed on the last cruise because I spilled water on it. i think there was a pad on the mattreas.

Suggestion: ask the steward to leave an extra set of sheets and blanket in the room for just in case.

Do not feel you need to wash the linens! But be aware there is the launderette if you have wet pjs. Wash and dry are about $2-3 each. Bring along your favorite detergent pods or buy a single quantity of Tide for $2-3. You can put the charge in your room card. I think they are always open.

Pads, diapers, whatever : bring them, use them, hope it wasn’t necessary, but preparedness makes it a whole lot less dramatic.

Good luck! And have a great cruise.
Great tip on bringing along our own laundry pods! I would have never thought of that! I'm thinking we'll likely need to do laundry at some point after all - I just got our packing (mostly) done last night - I think we'll need to do it at least once I'm guessing.

This is a bit of a silly question! But do you think the alarms would work alright when used with/in a pull-up/diaper?

DS typically doesn't wear them at home. But in preparation of the cruise, we actually talked (bribed) him into wearing one just last night. If they work out well enough on the trip itself, by prelim plan is for him to wear the rest of them once we're back from the cruise, just because it worked out so well last night. But if they're feasible, I'd for sure like to give one of the alarms a try! Just a bit nervous about waking up his younger brother from the noise.

But do you think the alarms would work alright when used with/in a pull-up/diaper?
That may depend on the type of alarm you get. One with a sensor that goes inside the underwear could probably be used with a pull-up. Some have sensors that clip onto the outside of the underwear. Or the one we used was just a bed mat with nothing that actually attached to the child. The sensor needs to be able to detect the wetness, so if a pull-up contains the wet and doesn't allow it to seep immediately to the sensor, the alarm won't work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter