Silly question regarding formatting/deleting.....

lillygator

DIS Veteran
Ok - so I bought the Canon A610 this past weekend and bought 2 1GB cards to go with it. I formatted one - I was supposed to right? It was brand new. Now if I download the pics to the computer does that delete them from the camera? Do I have to erase them from the camera and then reformat? If I take it to Walgreens to print does that erase as well?

How long do these memory cards last?

Congratulations on the new camera purchase. You were correct that the card needed to be formatted prior to use. The images will remain on the card after you take them until you delete the pictures or reformat the card. Taking your card to Walgreens for printing will not remove the pictures (unless Walgreens has a problem with their equipment). The cards should last a very long time (unless you forget to take them out of your pocket before washing your pants then they last through the spin cycle).

Jeff

If you are wanting to erase them after you retrieve them on the computer I think Windows XP gives you this option if you use their utility to copy the images from the camera. There should be a check box to delete the images after they have been copied over but I like to leave them on the card just in case something goes wrong with the computer during the process! I would hate for a "Blue Screen of Death" in windows to happen or a hard drive crash just as the utility finishes and I lose my photographs! when I'm finished copying them to the computer and I back them up on CD/DVD media, I feel it is safe to then perform an "erase all" on the camera from its menu options which doesn't take any time at all! As for Walgreens procedures, I am not sure because I usually tote my CD/DVD media down to the store to pick and choose which ones I want printed myself.

AZ JazzyJ said:
The cards should last a very long time (unless you forget to take them out of your pocket before washing your pants then they last through the spin cycle).

Jeff

OUCH !! sounds like the voice of experience...

Yeah it was and I wish I could say it only happened once. I have learned that the SanDisk Extreme and Lexar high speed cards will survive a washing, you just need to let them air dry for a couple of days before trying to recover the contents. The one good thing, I can safely say I only took clean pictures. ;)

Jeff

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter