• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Signature" Trips: Good idea or...?

WeLoveABD

DIS Veteran
As much of a fan as I am of Disney quality, I am troubled by the new "Signature" concept. I guess I am so satisfied with the trips I have been on to date, and with the quality of the hotels/guides/extras, it seems to me I have BEEN on signature trips already. To have something "better" for more money lessens the rest of the program to some degree--all psychological I know, but to go on the regular South Africa tour and know that it isn't all the best available--that there are better hotels and better events--dims the magic just a bit. Is it just me? (Nonetheless, ABD is still the best way to see the world--I'm still a fan, but am not thrilled by this development!)

I can't decide if it's exactly as you say, or that on these particular trips, the timing is tight enough that there is less chance to add on your own options. Many of the other trips, you can spend more money and "up" the experience, either through spa treatments, going out to dinner on your own, excursions, etc. Maybe they don't want American tourists wandering all over South Africa on their own?

I agree that it kind of feels wrong, but on the other hand, I never had a bad experience at a moderate resort at WDW just becuase I knew the Deluxe was out there.

Time will tell. I know one Disboarder at least has signed up for the Signature departure for Africa. It will be interesting to get that perspective.

I know on the Yosemite trip, there's really only 2 hotels in Yosemite Valley, the Yosemite Falls Lodge, and the Ahwanhee. The Yosemite Falls is pretty rustic, no A/C, stuff like that, but it *is* right at the foot of Yosemite Falls. It's one of those location, location, location things. The Ahwanhee, however, is fabulously nestled into a corner of the valley, luxurious, and HUGELY more expensive than the Yosemite Falls. I haven't really checked out how much nicer the places in Tahoe & San Francisco are. The only real extra activity in Yosemite is a rock-climbing class, which I could never take advantage of with my back & shoulders... And there is, in my opinion, TOO much free time in Yosemite. So it seems you're really paying more for nicer hotels. ($900 for Yosemite. It was $1500 for the Single supplement). A lot of tour groups do that (Backroads, for example, which Chris, our guide, told me was the company that inspired ABD) They have cheap camping options, Casual Inn options, and Premier Inn options. But the itineraries are the same. I wish ABD had stopped with that, and not added the "extra event" part. That's the part that bothers me.

Sayhello

I was surprised to see the signature aspect added to some of the trips. The reason is that I consider this to be luxury/high end travel to start with. The trips are both priced and advertised that way. So, I wasn't expecting two different levels to be offered. It may not really be that way, but it can make you feel like your not getting the best experience. Of course, it may just be a mental thing. I am really looking forward to Wyoming next year.

I've come around to accepting the differences in hotels--but I do agree that some of the other features added on (especially the shows, guess I don't care much re the gifts) is troubling. My wife and I were discussing this and concluded it is likely Disney's way of trying to appeal to more families and keep the prices down, and also still offering "over the top" travel.

Will this make the tours seem divided into the "haves" and the "have-nots"? I am not sure how it will affect morale. For me, I would probably not be able to afford the "signature" trips (or talk my husband into the fact that we could afford it) so I guess it isn't something I will be doing.

And as far as "keeping the prices down" Cowabunga! I was amazed by the price increase between 2008 & 2009 for the Australia trip that I am going on. It looks like about $960 (at least) increase per adult. Did all the prices go up that much?

I personally think the Signature option is great. If I'm going to go all the way to Cape Town, I prefer to stay on the Victoria and Alfred waterfront area as well as staying in upgraded accomodation at the Kapama reserve itself.

The "Sundowner" event at Knysna Elephant park would be amazing also.

I'm not sure if everyone understands that the "Signature" trips are not on the dates of the regular trips. There are separate dates for the "Signature" trip...they are not combined and put into different hotels so no one will feel slighted in the least.

We're hoping to be able to do a Signature trip if the dates work out. If not, we'll try and get a date to work on the regular trip. We'll enjoy either as we'll feel fortunate to be there in the first place.

Have a great day everyone!

I'm not sure if everyone understands that the "Signature" trips are not on the dates of the regular trips. There are separate dates for the "Signature" trip...they are not combined and put into different hotels so no one will feel slighted in the least.

QUOTE]

You are so right...I didn't catch that! Thanks for clearing it up. :)

We went on the China adventure in June. Most aspects of the trip were really first class - generally the guides, hotels, service, bus (which we weren't on very often). Other aspects were not quite so tip top. For example, the food. I have had great Chinese food (in North America) and the food on the trip was just kind of OK. Surprisingly, I didn't find it that authentic - it was kind of westernized, and the variety was kind of limited. Our family is half-Chinese and we usually sat at a table with another family that was half-Chinese as well. We usually ran out of food at our table at dinners and had to ask for more. I guess we were more used to and hungry for Chinese food. :goodvibes Having spent already thousands of dollars for the trip, I would have appreciated the opportunity to have the type of food I was looking forward to having. I wouldn't have minded paying for it - but couldn't since the menus were set. Since most of the meals were with ABD, I didn't have much opportunity to go out and find what I was looking for.

We were also a family of 3 staying in one room. Most of the hotel rooms were kind of small. Standard-size hotel rooms, but not a lot of space for 3 people. It would have been great to have the opportunity to upgrade, but that opportunity wasn't given.

I think that ABD is trying its best to appeal to everyone - those people who want a great and fabulous trip but don't want to spend more than a certain sum and those who wouldn't mind spending a little more to have all aspects of their trip to be topnotch.

Oh, I got it from the get go that these were separate trips (had to be--imagine trying to separate the two classes!); and I agree that the trips are all top notch regardless of the add ons for a select few. I give Disney kudos for continuing to try new things with their land tours--this is the first new twist that just didn't sit right with me. Of course, we've done two, have another this xmas and then the safari next xmas, so I guess it didn't stop us!

How do you tell which are the signature trips? I do not see them on the web site.
They aren't on the website. You have to call ABD to find out when they are. All trips listed on the website are non-Signature trips.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter