• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Signature Dress Code Language Change

Phatscott25

DIS Veteran
I searched for this and couldn't find anything, so I apologize if it's already been discussed. Anyway, I was going over my dining reservations for my upcoming trip, and notice the dress code language for signatures now reads:

"
Dress Code
This restaurant is a Disney Signature Dining experience offering fine dining with a distinctly magical flair. Guests are expected to dress accordingly in attire that respects the restaurant's sophisticated and upscale aesthetic. Clothing should be clean, neat and in good condition. Please no swimwear."

I know that means the dress code didn't really change. But found it odd that it no longer uses specific examples of what is and isn't allowed, aside from swimwear.

Didn't there used to be a probation about gentlemen wearing non-collared shirts?

Doesn't really bother me that much since I've never seen table service restaurants with a dress code enforce it (I know Victoria and Alberts still does). I've gone to both Topolino's and Jiko where I dressed a little nicer than usual and everyone else there was in theme park clothes. I don't care about what others are wearing btw, just an observation.

It makes sense. As modern fashion trends change, the old ideas of what's formal vs not are also changing.

I'm surprised nobody has stated the obvious yet.

Disney is scrubbing their policies of any reference to binary genders. The old dress code specified what "gentlemen" and "ladies" were expected to wear. Disney no longer believes in such things.

Whether you support it or oppose it, there's no denying that's 100% what's happening here.

Last edited:

Disney is scrubbing their policies of any reference to binary genders. The old dress code specified what "gentlemen" and "ladies" were expected to wear. Disney no longer believes in such antiquated notions.

Whether you support it or oppose it, there's no denying that's 100% what's happening here.
Maybe it's as simple as nobody followed the old dress code, it was never enforced so they changed it but hey let's just dig deeper for no reason.

Probably because they no longer care about people wearing baseball caps and flip flops. The only thing they don’t want to see is the swimwear
I always asked my kids to remove their baseball caps indoors and I still do but that old maxim seems to be more directed to taking of your big hat so you don't block someone else's view which isn't really an issue either with a baseball cap or in a restaurant. :)

Maybe it's as simple as nobody followed the old dress code, it was never enforced so they changed it but hey let's just dig deeper for no reason.
Never have understood why some feel the need to stir up something where nothing needs stirring

We are talking about dining in and around theme parks where people are coming from a day in a theme park and more often than not going straight to dine without changing. The notion of the dress code was never working well. Enforcing it hampered your guests being able to schedule dining around park time. Guests don’t like that. You get more complaints over that than you do from someone who is bothered by what others wear.

I own T-shirts with cut off sleeves ..... I wear them when I do yard work. I don't want to see your AC/DC t-shirt when I'm dining at California Grill. Although I do love me some AC/DC. There is a place for everything and fine dining at WDW prices is an experience and they should enforce a dress code.

Not hardly, if it makes you feel better to stir the pot then go right ahead.
I'm genuinely not sure what I'm supposed to have done to stir any pot. People on one side is this issue say "Disney is doing this sort of thing and it's bad." People on the other side of the issue say "Disney is doing this sort of thing and it's good." You're the first person I've seen make the claim that Disney *ISN'T* doing this sort of thing.

It's not some conspiracy theory, they've literally published that they're doing it. This is part of the same initiative as "dreamers of all ages" and "fairy godmother's apprentices."

Disney is scrubbing their policies of any reference to binary genders. The old dress code specified what "gentlemen" and "ladies" were expected to wear. Disney no longer believes in such antiquated notions.

I hadn't thought of that. That's pretty cool. I'm glad their being so thoughtful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter