• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sick after Napa Rose

Norovirus could definitely be the culprit! The symptoms can vary from being quite mild to requiring hospitalization. It is very common in hotels, cruise ships, nursing homes and hospitals. Basically anywhere with a large group of people in close quaters, it is caused by improper hand washing after using the bathroom.

I carry hand sanitizer spray and wet ones antibacterial every time I go to the parks and reccomend it to everyone!! We clean our hands constantly as well as any surface we eat on or with. Better to be safe in my opinion. Especially when you think of all the hands and other body parts that are touching all the same things you are in just one Disney day - yuck.

And yes, some parents are inconsiderate and will change a dirty diaper on a park bench or dining table so beware!

OP: get well soon!

Actually this isn't true. Food poisoning DOES show up after just a few hours.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001652.htm

I stand corrected. This is what I had been told by my doctor when I got food poisoning once. But after you put that down I looked it up and sure enough you can start getting the symptons of food poisoning 2 - 6 hours after eating. It may take longer, but can come on that fast. Thanks for correcting me, I had been told incorrectly by my doctor.

Edit: Didn't notice your link until after I put this in, but when I typed it into my browser it ended up giving me the same exact site first as yours did.

Notwithstanding the non-existent personal hygiene of some people, one of the reasons people get sick at theme parks and on vacation is because of the drastic change of routine. They're eating different foods, perhaps (in the case of adults) drinking more and their sleep hours are compromised. I saw this a lot in my travels in Mexico years ago. Even in the fanciest, cleanest resort hotels, there were still people that came down with "Montezuma's revenge." My ex and I used to eat at places where the locals ate because it was appreciably less expensive and we never, ever got sick from it.

Allergies can also occur within a very short period of time after eating and can range from diarrhea, vomiting, hives/rashes, shortness of breath, eye swelling, tightness around the chest and many other symptoms. Eating the wrong thing is generally how I've learned what I'm allergic to. Nothing life threatening but it can last for several hours and has occurred within as short as 1/2 hour after consuming something to 2-3 hours after consuming.

Symptoms have lasted for as little as 2-3 hours and as long as 4-5 days. Sometimes things I'm not generally not terribly allergic to can be enhanced by other things (e.g., another virus I've picked up, normal meal patterns disrupted. travel fatigue, etc.). Some things I'm allergic to only if they're grown in certain areas because of other factors not always easily determined (e.g., allergic to kiwi fruit from California but not if grown in New Zealand, also allergic to spinach but not if baby spinach, at least not usually).

So it could be food poisoning, food allergies, disruption to normal eating patterns, viruses picked up from others, and even differences in mineral content in the local water. That's why I always travel with a variety of OTC medications like Immodium and Pepto-Bismal, Tums, and allergy medications because you just never know what's going to happen when you're away from home and normal routines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter