Shutters. Need I say more?

SilenceDoGood

Earning My Ears
I posted this as a response in another thread, but I think these points merit their own thread. Read on below:

During our last DCL cruise, I saw a woman letting one of the Shutters employees have it. Here's why. The AquaDuck pictures are *not* automatically added to the Shutters USB because the face recognition technology doesn't always recognize guests on that system (which is separate from Shutters). So if you want the AquaDuck photos, you basically have to go through ALL the AquaDuck pictures and add them to your account. Well, this woman was really upset (and with good reason), because (a) it was a huge inconvenience to be going through 1500+ AquaDuck photos on the last night when the system was mega slow, and (b) and, this is the most important reason here, because anyone could add any of *your AquaDuck pictures* to their USB. The woman was upset because "This is a HUGE violation of privacy." I have to agree with her there. What's to prevent a sicko from adding your child's photos to his/her USB drive? Mind you, most kids will be wearing their swimsuits on their AquaDuck rides, so yeah, a huge violation of privacy.

For the record, I went to the Shutters and painstakingly added my own family's AquaDuck pictures to my own account. The Shutters employee explained the AquaDuck pictures are generated in a system operated by Disney (completely separate from Shutters), and therefore not linked with Shutters. Hence, the reason it's best to add them each day you ride the AquaDuck instead of waiting until the end of the cruise when everyone is trying to do the same thing. I agree with him there. However, even though I did that, NONE of our AquaDuck photos showed up in our USB drive. Not a single one!

I think Disney should get rid of Shutters and implement a system similar to PhotoPass/Memory Maker. Much more reasonably priced and your AquaDuck photos would be accessible only to the people with whom you wish to share them, not the entire ship!

Well from what I'm reading in another thread, apparently the face recognition technology does not work as well as they claim for other photos either.

I understand your concerns. It is a public space on aqua duck and honestly the entire ship. Your concern for privacy while in public doesn't work.

Not like the photographer is in your room or the bathrooms. I'm always weary of those with cameras taking any photos in public. Not much can be done though.

JW

I posted this as a response in another thread, but I think these points merit their own thread. Read on below:

I think Disney should get rid of Shutters and implement a system similar to PhotoPass/Memory Maker. Much more reasonably priced and your AquaDuck photos would be accessible only to the people with whom you wish to share them, not the entire ship!

I would think off the top of my head the only way this could be done is they would need a KTTY reader and you would need to have your KTTY card every time you went there. That may slow down the process and would also need it to be weather proof.

The other way is for there to be a screen near by so after you went down you would view the pic and put it into your folder.

Or maybe a key pad that you type in your stateroom number do that image goes to your folder.

I would think off the top of my head the only way this could be done is they would need a KTTY reader and you would need to have your KTTY card every time you went there. That may slow down the process and would also need it to be weather proof.

The other way is for there to be a screen near by so after you went down you would view the pic and put it into your folder.

Or maybe a key pad that you type in your stateroom number do that image goes to your folder.

Or how about they switch to MagicBands, which are water proof, and have the AquaDuck "read" your MagicBand each time you ride it? That's what they have implemented at the theme parks. Same for viewing any printed pictures. Your files should NOT be accessible to anyone passing by either. They should require your MagicBand/KTTW to access them. I cannot tell you know many people I saw leaving photos that didn't belong in their folders on the Shutters counters! I don't see why it's so impossible to switch this system over to DCL. Get rid of Shutters and use PhotoPass/MemoryMaker instead. More money for DCL anyway.

I didn't even know that they took my picture on the AquaDuck! Seriously, I am annoyed that there may have been pictures that I didn't think to ask for. And if that is the case, what other pictures were taken that I didn't get? Honestly, one of my issues with their photo package was the lack of pictures--never been on a ship with so few photographers and so few photo opportunities. The package wasn't worth the price.

Or how about they switch to MagicBands, which are water proof, and have the AquaDuck "read" your MagicBand each time you ride it? That's what they have implemented at the theme parks. Same for viewing any printed pictures. Your files should NOT be accessible to anyone passing by either. They should require your MagicBand/KTTW to access them. I cannot tell you know many people I saw leaving photos that didn't belong in their folders on the Shutters counters! I don't see why it's so impossible to switch this system over to DCL. Get rid of Shutters and use PhotoPass/MemoryMaker instead. More money for DCL anyway.

Magicbands aren't perfect and don't keep others from accessing your photos. Right after my engagement trip we had tons of photos of people we had never met and were not friends of friends or anything like that on our MemoryMaker/PhotoPass section of MDE. Come to find out there was a glitch "dump" of photos right before we took some with characters so we got several different families in our account and none of ours from that meet and greet. Then on a different trip our friend thought you could take whatever tap point you wanted of a ride photo and it would just know what photo was yours. So again our account ended up with tons of photos of people we had no connection with. Once I found out that is what he was doing I informed him you had to tap for your own if you wanted to be sure you had it or you could trust the autoload system but it wasn't always accurate.

If you are worried about pervs getting hold of the photos I have to imagine most of them aren't going to spend the cost it takes to go on a Disney cruise let alone the extra cost to buy the photos from Shutters. They would just use their own cameras and nobody questions that.

I didn't even know that they took my picture on the AquaDuck! Seriously, I am annoyed that there may have been pictures that I didn't think to ask for. And if that is the case, what other pictures were taken that I didn't get? Honestly, one of my issues with their photo package was the lack of pictures--never been on a ship with so few photographers and so few photo opportunities. The package wasn't worth the price.

We typically buy the USB with all the digital downloads and make it a point to have them swipe our KTTW cards. HOWEVER, I know there were several times they missed some of our pictures. Perhaps they added them to the previous family's KTTW? Not sure, but I knew those pictures were missing from our account because my wife would remind me of the character photos that didn't show up. She has a phenomenal memory (which can work as a double edge sword :rolleyes1).

We typically buy the USB with all the digital downloads and make it a point to have them swipe our KTTW cards. HOWEVER, I know there were several times they missed some of our pictures. Perhaps they added them to the previous family's KTTW? Not sure, but I knew those pictures were missing from our account because my wife would remind me of the character photos that didn't show up. She has a phenomenal memory (which can work as a double edge sword :rolleyes1).
Well that "swipe sometimes thing; face recognition sometimes thing" is just stupid. Pick one reliable system and use it.

I have been so busy since returning that I haven't even checked the USB. With my luck it's not even ours....

I'm sailing on the Fantasy in Dec. Will I be able to check my photo account daily to make sure my pictures are there or do I just have to hope everything is there? How much control do I have over this if I'm willing to spend the time.

I'm sailing on the Fantasy in Dec. Will I be able to check my photo account daily to make sure my pictures are there or do I just have to hope everything is there? How much control do I have over this if I'm willing to spend the time.
You can check your photos daily, twice daily, every hour, whatever. There are photo kiosks in Shutters that you sign in to see your folder.

You can check your photos daily, twice daily, every hour, whatever. There are photo kiosks in Shutters that you sign in to see your folder.
I've been debating on purchasing the entire package, or- just the 20 photo package. If I do the all digital- do I still need to check everyday? And will the Aquaduck be on there?

I say the woman was in the wrong for letting that lady have it. That lady doesn't have anything to do with it. That's like you having trouble let's say with your cell phone and you call and let that person have it. Some people are just so very rude.

I've been debating on purchasing the entire package, or- just the 20 photo package. If I do the all digital- do I still need to check everyday? And will the Aquaduck be on there?
It's a good idea to check your folder periodically, as photos go missing for any number of reasons.. Whether you do it every day or every third day, or only once, is up to your comfort zone.

It appears that the AquaDuck photos may not be added to the folder and quickly as the photos taken by the actual Shutters staff, so it's probably a good idea to check the next day or two after riding AquaDuck to see if they are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter