Shutters in Alaska?

Disneybridewifemama

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if you think the unlimited photo CD is worth it in Alaska?
On our first cruise we got a lot of photos on castaway day, which obviously isn't happening this time lol. From reports I've read, shutters is hard to find on Tracy Arm day.
So am I mainly just paying for character photos on board? (which i could technically take myself?)

Thanks in advance!

You're always paying for photos that you could take yourself, except for the ones with you in them.

I'm always against buying the photos.. partially because I'm a photo enthusiast and I come home with better photos than Shutters, but then my wife sees their photos and always ends up buying them..

I'd just wait and see what they've gathered for you by the end of the cruise, and then decide whether it is worth buying.

You're always paying for photos that you could take yourself, except for the ones with you in them.

I'm always against buying the photos.. partially because I'm a photo enthusiast and I come home with better photos than Shutters, but then my wife sees their photos and always ends up buying them..

I'd just wait and see what they've gathered for you by the end of the cruise, and then decide whether it is worth buying.
Agree

One thing I like about the cd is that my kids seem to find the characters & photographers in loads of places when I'm not with them. They get loads of great shots together, individually, or with their club friends when there's no other camera around. Those are always a great surprise on the disc!

We had several pictures taken on Tracey Arm day and none were to be found. I just don't think their pictures are good enough to justify the cost but if it is a priority to you to get the pictures you can get out there every photo op!

My thoughts...
  • if you kids plan to stalk the characters for the cruise.... get the photo package. It much more stressfree panic to decide which photos to keep on the final day.
  • on my trip the photographer was on Deck 9 when Sawyer was in view. However other photographers were hiding on deck 4 from the rain. Wish I knew to go down there for more pictures.
  • my only service suggestion is to have shutters on deck for the sailaway party. Unlike other cruise lines, DCL did not appear interested in photos when departing Vancouver going under the Lions Gate like other cruise lines I travelled with.

For my May 2014 cruises (the 5 night from San Diego and the 9 night Alaska - we never saw any of the Shutters people taking pictures up on the deck - and we spent a lot of time up on deck 9. The only time we saw them was for character meet and greets in the atrium.

You can always pre-order for a 15% discount, and then when you are on the cruise and decide that you don't want the package cancel. I think you need to do that by the last night.

You can always pre-order for a 15% discount, and then when you are on the cruise and decide that you don't want the package cancel. I think you need to do that by the last night.
A little clarification here: the 15% discount for pre-purchasing in on the full CD only, not the smaller photo packages.

is there cartoon like borders on all the photos? I was hoping the Wonder had not yet implemented this obnoxious overlay on all my photos

One thing I like about the cd is that my kids seem to find the characters & photographers in loads of places when I'm not with them. They get loads of great shots together, individually, or with their club friends when there's no other camera around. Those are always a great surprise on the disc!

This is one of the reasons they are worth it for me too. My daughter seems to find characters and opportunities when I'm not there. It also lets me BE IN the pictures, and I'm never in the pictures at home - always behind the camera. I will preorder as well for the discount and we take them each chance we have.

I believe it is worth. We went to Alaska in 2012 when they sailed out of Seattle. We got the disc and all the prints. We ended up having almost 400 prints to take home. Shutters is on the deck at Tracy arm day. Like someone says they are on deck 4. But sometimes you need to have a camera with you cause you never know we're a character will be without a photographer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter