Shrinking Tink: Trading Pounds for Pixie Dust

Tinkerbellarella

DIS Veteran
Hi! :wave2:

My name is Tinkerbellarella and you may know my from my Pre-Trip Report. Or not.

Either way, I wanted to start a thread over here on the W.I.S.H. boards. See, I'm headed to the World in the fall and I've got some goals in terms shedding some pounds before then.

Well, that's not totally true.

I've got a lot of goals. I mean a LOT of goals. I mean a lot A LOT of goals.
(Anyone ever see that episode of 'That 70's Show' where Eric has a conversation with Kelso that goes kind of like this? Hilarious.)

My main goal is to just get healthy. I only get one body, why not keep it in tip-top shape? I mean, I get my car in to get the oil changed on time (mostly-ish) so that it'll still run, right? Really, we have no idea how long we're gonna get on this sweet planet, why make it any shorter?

Some sub-goals of that are as follows:
*Lose the baby fat I've had since...well...birth. I've always been 'heavy'. In particular, lose about 25lbs. prior to my September trip.
*Get to the gym! Lately, the gym and I have been enemies. Foes. People who laugh at other people whose ankle gives out on the street sending them hurtling towards the pavement.
*Eat better. Historically, I've been a meat and potatoes kind of gal. Not so much adventurous with the foods. But I'm trying new things. Really. My two biggest areas of "food fear" are with fish and many veggies. Oh, I'm also lactose sensitive (meaning whole cream is a no-no unless I want to spend some quality time in ZZUB's Canada stall).
*Love what I see in the mirror. Isn't this the hardest one of all? We shun those who are particularly cruel to, say, the elderly...or children...or puppies. But have you ever stopped and considered how cruel you can be to yourself?! Yours truly included! Seriously, how many times do you catch your reflection and think, "Dang, sweetie! You're gorgeous!"

Mhmm. That's what I thought.

In terms of how I'm getting there - well, I do Weight Watchers (WW) online and I do the Points system. In terms of exercising my way from flabby to fabulous, I'm going to be going to the gym 3-4 times per week for a combo of weight training and cardio. All of my weight training routines come from eithter the 'Biggest Loser' book or from my BF. Who is in better shape than some Grecian statues.

I swear to you, the man looks at pizza and develops another ab. :sad2:

Must be nice.

So, anywho, all are welcome and in fact I encourage you to post!!! We all need support sometimes. I will be weighing myself in on Fridays and I'll be happy to track goals for others as well. If you aren't comfortable giving your weight, you can always just let me know how much you want to lose and where you are. Maybe we can do fun monthly challenges or in a year see how far we've come in pounds, sizes, etc.

Oh, and this forum will only have one rule: Do your best to fall in love with the person you are today and not the person you want to become tomorrow.

:flower3:

Great goals!!

Thanks.

It's tough. I've never been in a "good" time in my life to battle my weight. It's only as of recently that I realized that there is no such thing as a "good" time to battle my weight.

Much like there really is no "good" time to say, oh, wrestle a hungry mother crocodile after taunting her by juggling her newly laid eggs.

I'm just sayin'.

So really, there's no time better than NOW!

:thumbsup2

I'm here. Hopefully I can feel inspired to get in better shape, especially for all the lengthy walking that is waiting for me at WDW. Great idea to start this thread! :thumbsup2

I think we need tshirts....
:lmao:

So I thought it might be good to list some "starting facts" about me and said goals from the first post:

Sex: Female (I heart both of my X chromosomes.)
Age: 28.6 (I'll grudgingly turn 29 in October...I guess.)
Marital Status: Endeared of my handsome BF.
Height: 5'4.5" (That 0.5 is an important half inch, I tell you!)
Weight: 203.8lbs
Problem areas: Thighs, hips, bum, belly and arms. I'm a woman - it's typical. If my girls dropped a half a cup size I wouldn't be disappointed either.
Current WW Points: 26
10% Goal: 20.4lbs (putting my weight at 183.4)
Disney Goal: 25lbs (putting my weight at 178.8)
Overall Goal: 140-150lbs.

This is a very recent (read: this past weekend), full-body shot of me. (I'm giving a toast at one of my best friends' weddings:

DSCN0261-1-1.jpg

(I swear to God I have eyeballs. But my eyes are blue. So camera flashes, in general, do not like me.)

I see you all reading out there. Don't be shy. Post!

What would be better motivation would be to order in a small size therefore I would want to feed my tshirt addiction by actually being able to wear it! :laughing:

Seriously, "Trading pounds for pixie dust" is absolute genius!

I really need to get serious about getting healthy, to me it's not so much what I look like, though looking better is a bonus, it's more about being healthy, being active and being able to have children. I am terrified that I won't be able to get pregnant in my current state or if I do, I will have problems throughout the pregnancy. I am going to jump on the "trading pounds for pixie dust" bandwagon......and awaaaaay we go.

Hey guys, I'm in. I just had a not so healthy eating session tonight involving chocolate chip cookies. Going to the gym, for me, is not an issue. I love my workout time and go 3-4 times a week. It is my alone time when I can get away from my family, and I usually go in the morning before they're awake or before work.

And typically while I'm on the treadmill, I think of various motivating things...mostly to do with Disney and my upcoming trip.

Today, I'm not ashamed to admit, it was Tink and Lapu Lapu Fest.

I am good about working out, but my eating habits are hit or miss. I can go for really great stretches and then eat carp. Well, not real carp...'cause that's just gross.:lmao:

That's my biggest point. The weight will come off, if I learn how to eat properly and stick with it, so I guess what I'm looking for here is some support on doing that. And I am so happy to offer my support on working out. I really, really like it! Call me crazy, but "exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't kill their husbands. They just don't.";)

So I'm actually 5'4", and I'm guessing right now I weigh about 150. Over the winter, I was at my highest at 157! :scared1: That was bad, my pants started fitting tighter and I knew I was in trouble. I have been as low as 146, but seemed to gain that four pounds back pretty easily with my bad eating habits! Which makes me feel worse, which contributes to the whole emotional/eating out of boredom cycle. Plus, during Pukefest 2008, I did skip a week or two of working out because we were all so sick, so I'm still getting back into the swing of my proper workouts. I would really, really love to see a consistent 145. I think anything below that with the shape of my body is asking too much, in addition to the fact that I've had a child (causes things to shift in ways I never dreamed), and I'm not willing to starve myself to lose my hips, thighs, and butt.

I love what you said about looking in the mirror and being happy with what you see today. That is such worthy advice and so hard to do. I can honestly look at myself and say I love my body from my waist up. I have a very skinny waist, the girls look good when I'm wearing a supportive bra ;) , and my face is much thinner than it used to be in my heavier days. So I do feel like myself, but even though DS is 3, I feel like I'm still adjusting to post-child body. While nursing, I dropped so much weight, I think I weighed about 135-140. That was awesome, but impossible to maintain, once you stop nursing, you stop rapidly burning calories, so some weight inevitably creeps back on.

I feel like I'm proactive and being accountable to you guys will really help keep me focused.

Tink, I'd love to be able to meet you in September and know that regardless of what our exact weight is, that we're moving forward and accomplishing something...I would be so proud of myself if I could maintain a healthy weight instead of this back and forth I've been doing.

And thanks for reading all this...I never knew I could write so much...wait, scratch that...I did know I could write so much, but had no idea it would strike such a chord with me! :goodvibes

Hey guys,
I'd love to join your Shrinking Tinks thread!

My name is Randi. I'm 28. I am married to my best friend and husband David for 8 years. We have one son Davy who is 6. We are going on a Land/Sea vacation in the fall and I have GOT to get some weight off before them.

I am 5'3" tall. I currently weigh 183.5 pounds :scared1:. I lost 121 pounds on low carb back in 2002/2003. I kept most of the weight off until last fall when I was diagnosed with HYPOTYHORID :( Major panic has set in as I've gained about 50 pounds :headache: :sad1: :sad1: Last month my doctor was able to finally get my thyroid meds regulated, so hopefully I can start to see a loss.

My goals are:

To get my health back in control
To lose 5-10 pounds in the next month for my trip to California to visit my brother and sister in-law.
To lose 20-30 pounds for my 10 year high school reunion in August.
To lose 30-40 pounds for our Disney trip in October
And once again to get my health back in control.

Here are my starting facts.
Start Date: May 18th, 2008
Sex: Female
Marital Status: Married for just over 8 years.
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 183.5
Problem areas: Thighs, hips, bum, belly and arms.
Diet Plan: Low Carb
Disney Goal: At least 30 pounds. (Would put my weight at 153.5)
Overall Goal: 135-140 pounds.

I am looking forward to this thread and hope that everyone will help me STAY ACCOUNTABLE!!!!

Count me in! When I reach my next goal weight (in 2.4 lbs) I'm buying me some good walking sneakers and a WiiFit! What's better than working out to a video game??!! lol

I'm self conscious about working out in public. So if I can do it at home, I'd be more inclined to do it. The only exception is that as of today I have a weekly walking date with my friend from work. We started today at 2 miles. I'm hoping to lose another 40-50 lbs by my October trip. Help me do it girls!

I am a loyal reader on Tink's TR and we have discussed our weight issues before so now that's she's taken the leap over here I thought I would join in.

Here are my starting facts.
Start Date: May 2, 2008 (last time I weighed myself)
Sex: Female
Marital Status: Single
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 234
Problem areas: Thighs, hips, bum, belly and arms.
Diet Plan: Portion Control/Healthy Eating/Exercise
Overall Goal: 150-140 pounds (ending weight)

To give you some background on me, I was pretty healthy and definitly a lot lighter when I was in High School and College (130's) But after I had my son at age 26 the weight just never went away and I put on even more weight. A lot of it has to do with I am very much an emotional eater and I don't deal with stress very well. It wasn't unusual for me to drown my sorrows in Ben and Jerry's.

But after what has been the most 2 stressful years of my life...my father died unexpectedly from a heart attack at 65 last July and 9 months prior to that my mentor and good friend died from a brain tumor at 45. I decided I need to get healthy again!

So in February I joined a local gym and so far I really love it. I've been going to the gym 4-5 days a week. The key for me has been variety. I try to mix it up between cardio classes, pool workouts, and circuit training in the weight room. So far I have lost 16 inches off my body...7 inches in the waist alone...and 10 lbs.

I would really like to be losing more weight but my eating is "a work in progress." I just can't seem to say no to my cravings. :guilty: For example on Friday I took a Body Jam class in the morning. It's kinda like a hip-hop/dance aerobics class and it kicks my ****, but I really enjoy it. During the hour long class I probably lost 500 calories or so. Well, it was cold and rainy here and for some reason I kept craving a hot turkey sandwich. :confused3 I don't think I've eaten one of these in years, but I couldn't get it out of my head. Eventually I caved and went to a local diner and got one for lunch. So long 500 calorie loss!

So eating and getting enough willpower to say no to bad cravings are my big vices. That's where I need the help and encouragement to say no.

I just got back from our week long trip to WDW last Sunday and I am happy to report that I didn't gain any weight. That being said, I did indulge myself on this vacation and enjoyed ice cream, Goofy's Candy Co, and the chocolate macadamia nut tart at Kona. So it is possible to maintain weight loss and enjoy the guilty pleasures of a WDW vacation. :woohoo:

it's more about being healthy, being active and being able to have children. I am terrified that I won't be able to get pregnant in my current state or if I do, I will have problems throughout the pregnancy.

You are a smart, smart lady with your priorities in the right place. :goodvibes

Going to the gym, for me, is not an issue. I love my workout time and go 3-4 times a week. It is my alone time when I can get away from my family, and I usually go in the morning before they're awake or before work.

I need to start looking at it this way instead of as an hour spent with Lucifer himself.

Today, I'm not ashamed to admit, it was Tink and Lapu Lapu Fest.

Awwww. Who's blushing more than me? That's right. No one. :blush:

Call me crazy, but "exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't kill their husbands. They just don't.";)

Good point. The BF will probably appreciate this. LOL

I love what you said about looking in the mirror and being happy with what you see today. That is such worthy advice and so hard to do.

If you don't love what you're starting with, how can you possibly love what you end up with?

I feel like I'm proactive and being accountable to you guys will really help keep me focused.

Deal.

Tink, I'd love to be able to meet you in September and know that regardless of what our exact weight is, that we're moving forward and accomplishing something...I would be so proud of myself if I could maintain a healthy weight instead of this back and forth I've been doing.

Alright, this got me all sorts of weepy. I'm so looking forward to our meet.

Hey guys, I'd love to join your Shrinking Tinks thread!

My name is Randi.

Hi Randi! :wave2:

I lost 121 pounds on low carb back in 2002/2003. I kept most of the weight off until last fall when I was diagnosed with HYPOTYHORID :( Major panic has set in as I've gained about 50 pounds :headache: :sad1: :sad1: Last month my doctor was able to finally get my thyroid meds regulated, so hopefully I can start to see a loss.

First of all, WOW! CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is a TREMENDOUS loss!

Secondly, 50lbs is a good amount, but in light of that loss and that it's a medical issue, I don't think you should harp on yourself about it too much. Sounds like you're back on track and hey you did it (and much more!) once. You can do it again. And we'd love to help. :goodvibes

Count me in! When I reach my next goal weight (in 2.4 lbs) I'm buying me some good walking sneakers and a WiiFit! What's better than working out to a video game??!! lol

Yay!!! You're so close!

I'm self conscious about working out in public.

I used to have this issue too. But now I put on my 'gym mix' on my iPod and ignore the world.

We'll help you reach those goals!!!!

A lot of it has to do with I am very much an emotional eater and I don't deal with stress very well.

I can totally commiserate with you on this one.

But after what has been the most 2 stressful years of my life...my father died unexpectedly from a heart attack at 65 last July and 9 months prior to that my mentor and good friend died from a brain tumor at 45. I decided I need to get healthy again!

I'm so sorry for your losses. :hug: But what a wonderful testament to your love of them to use them as inspiration for getting yourself healthy!

pool workouts

This is the one thing my gym doesn't have. But my parents should be opening their inground pool in the next couple of months, so hopefully that means getting some laps in. I love to swim.

Well, it was cold and rainy here and for some reason I kept craving a hot turkey sandwich. :confused3 I don't think I've eaten one of these in years, but I couldn't get it out of my head. Eventually I caved and went to a local diner and got one for lunch. So long 500 calorie loss!

We make these at home sometimes! And we make them healthy! Some lean turkey breast meat, fat free turkey gravy and just the tiniest bit of stuffing on whole wheat bread. (Neither of us likes cranberry sauce, so we skip that, which is how our restaurants around here serve it. Though next time I might throw a few Craisins in the stuffing.)

Hot and messy enough to eat with a fork. :love: And you're in total control of the calories!

I just got back from our week long trip to WDW last Sunday and I am happy to report that I didn't gain any weight.

:banana:

Welcome to all! Together we will reach our goals!

I feel like I should go out and write a self-help book now. LOL

So, after the craziness of the past 8 weeks of my life (no backstory necessary, just know it was insane), this weekend I finally really cleaned the house and did about 76.5 loads of laundry. And went grocery shopping!!! Which I love to do. I'm proud to say that the house is now stocked with good choices and healthy snacks (I'm more of a snacker than a meal girl.)

I was kind of inspired by part of pajules post to ask this question:

What is your favorite "cheat" and how do you think you could make it healthy?

Maybe if you don't have a healthy version, we could help!

My favorite cheat is ice cream. Or cookie dough. Or heck, throw 'em together and you've got a little slice of heaven.

You with me, ladies?;)

However, as I have aged and gained infinite wisdom I have also gained something more troublesome. Lactose intolerance. Which is a nasty four letter word I can't say in front of the three year old. I love cheese and ice cream. Ice cream absolutely kills my stomach, and last summer I ate so much of it and didn't care. And I'm not the type that can take the otc meds because I don't have the normal problem people have with dairy products. We won't go into details. I just ate lunch.

Anyhoo, I have found something that I enjoy. Is it the same...no...is it yummy, definitely yes!

If you wait until bananas are almost overripe, to the point where you'd be thinking about baking banana bread with them, slice them up and freeze them. When you're feeling a craving for ice cream, just eat the frozen bananas. They'll have a nice, sweet flavor, so it'll feel like cheating, but it's good for you because it's fruit. I enjoy them frozen, and discovered this by accident. I intended to freeze some to make some smoothies with later, and DS found them in the freezer. He wanted one. So I let him...and he liked it! Got my wheels turning...I tried one...I liked it!

So that's my semi-solution to a serious problem. My love of cookie dough ice cream. Ah well, there's always these...:banana: :banana: :banana:

Frozen grapes and frozen peaches are REALLY good too.

I have had frozen grapes, but I never thought to try frozen peaches. Thanks for the tip!:thumbsup2

I used to really love frozen blueberries. Yum Yum! It makes me want to buy some.
I have been on a kick of these fruit bars from Trader Joe's. They are Fruit Floes. Yum. My favorite is the mango. I don't believe there is any sugar added to them, though not 100% sure. They are really good though, much better then other stuff. :laughing:

I am starting to have a panic attack that my wedding dress isn't going to fit. I think I need to get my butt in gear. If I could lose just a bit of weight before the wedding, I will be that much more comfortable. Only 40 days! :scared1: :woohoo:

My favorite cheat is ice cream. Or cookie dough. Or heck, throw 'em together and you've got a little slice of heaven.

Not sure that I have a "healthy" solution for the cookie dough, but it sure makes a nice little indulgence every now and again (in moderation of course)! ;)

My favorite alternatives to real-as-all-get-out ice cream are:

*sorbet - still has a lot of sugar, but an intense flavor and so it satisfies the ice cream craving.
*frozen fat free Cool Whip - coupled with low-fat graham crackers - YUM!
*Fat Free, Sugar Free or No Sugar Added Fudgicles - this works especially if I'm also having a chocolate craving. The BF sucks these down too.

In the summer, particularly, I always allow myself a small ice cream now and again and what's funny is that usually there's a low or nonfat frozen yogurt flavor that's more appealing to me than most of the ice cream flavors. So I can still eat smart(ish).

I have also gained something more troublesome. Lactose intolerance.
Ugh. I'm not intolerant but I am sensitive. Nothing with heavy cream. Easy on the cheeses (which kills me. I heart cheese.) Nothing heavier to drink than 2% milk. Too much ice cream gives me so much belly pain. I feel you on this one.

If you wait until bananas are almost overripe, to the point where you'd be thinking about baking banana bread with them, slice them up and freeze them. When you're feeling a craving for ice cream, just eat the frozen bananas. They'll have a nice, sweet flavor, so it'll feel like cheating, but it's good for you because it's fruit.

I'm so particular about bananas and I don't know that I'd enjoy frozen nanners. But the BF does. I'm hoping this nanner issue doesn't prohibit me from enjoying Tonga Toast.

Frozen grapes

I love frozen grapes!

I used to really love frozen blueberries.

This sounds good too. I now want to go home and put all of the fruit in the freezer. BF is going to be perplexed. LOL

I have been on a kick of these fruit bars from Trader Joe's. They are Fruit Floes. Yum. My favorite is the mango. I don't believe there is any sugar added to them, though not 100% sure. They are really good though, much better then other stuff. :laughing:

What's the consistency like - are we talking fruit/cereal bar or 'natural' fruit roll-up type thing? Because I eat an organic version of the latter called Fruitabu and it's delish. Sweet enough (but still natural AND a full serving of fruit) to kid my senses into thinking I had candy.

I am starting to have a panic attack that my wedding dress isn't going to fit.

Don't panic! I had these same issues about my maid of honor dress and I actually ate more to compensate for my anxiety. It'll be just fine. Just relax and think about making smart choices!

Popcorn and a big cup of water is my snack of choice in the afternoon when I'm having a "hungry" day. Fills me right up.

popcorn::

This sounds good too. I now want to go home and put all of the fruit in the freezer. BF is going to be perplexed. LOL
Just be warned that your fingers will be blue, well if you eat them with your fingers...you get my drift.

What's the consistency like - are we talking fruit/cereal bar or 'natural' fruit roll-up type thing? Because I eat an organic version of the latter called Fruitabu and it's delish. Sweet enough (but still natural AND a full serving of fruit) to kid my senses into thinking I had candy.
Natural fruit, like chunks of yummy mangos in the bar. They are delightful frozen treats. We also tried the mixed fruit one, that had mango, pineapple, coconut and various other fruits and it was so yummy. I will have to check out the nutritional facts tonight but even so, they are still better than cookie dough. :laughing:
Don't panic! I had these same issues about my maid of honor dress and I actually ate more to compensate for my anxiety. It'll be just fine. Just relax and think about making smart choices!

Popcorn and a big cup of water is my snack of choice in the afternoon when I'm having a "hungry" day. Fills me right up.

popcorn::
I am stress eater big time, though the last few days I find that I haven't been eating as much so maybe finally I am one of those people who won't eat when they are stressed, oh how I envy them. I have cut out a lot of the snacking that I used to do, it's just making healthier choices.
I'm trying to work up the bravery to post my stats. :dance3:

I'm trying to work up the bravery to post my stats. :dance3:

Aw sweetie, do whatever is comfortable for you. No pressure.

I will however share something with you (and the rest of the DIS). I used to hide my weight info from everyone. Sometimes even myself. If I didn't talk about it, it didn't exist, even when I was dieting. Then one day it just slipped out during a therapy session and suddenly it was like a light bulb went off! :idea:

That little light bulb was called motivation.

Sharing it made it real for me. And it made it easier to get and stay motivated. People supported me more and I found they were quicker to ask me how I was doing and offer advice, etc.

And even if you don't want to share it here, no biggee. I (and everyone else, I'm sure) respect that. But try it with yourself. Go to the mirror. Say your 'stats' out loud. I think you'll be surprised as to how much emotion is tied to that and might actually be sapping you of energy. I sobbed in my therapists office for a full-on 15 minutes. But let me tell you, I felt so much better, so much more MYSELF afterwards.

It pains me how often being overweight makes us ashamed or scared. Shame is a useless emotion. It makes us feel worse about ourselves. (Guilt on the other hand usually inspires us to better ourselves. Weird, huh? But true. Scientists have been studying this recently.)

Whether we know your stats or not, we're here for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter