Should We Travel With 10-Month Old?

Should We Bring Our 10-Month Old?

• Total voters

Andsco

Earning My Ears
Hey Everyone!!!

My wife and I are at a dilemma. We are going on a 7-night trip to WDW Sept. 18th-25th. We have two sons, 4 years and 10-month. Before we knew about Galaxies Edge we pretty much assumed it would be just fine bringing along the baby. Now we are looking at booking our flight and need to make the decision if it's a wise choice to have the whole family. Now I am totally aware that many people are going to say it just depends on the baby and we are going to know whether it's a smart move having a baby along better than strangers would. With that already in mind, my wife and I really do want to know what other people would do if it was their vacation. Even if you could share if you faced this situation and what you did would be very much appreciated!

Things to consider:
We are staying at Caribbean Beach
We are going to MNSSH party for a night
We are planning on early mornings, rope dropping and getting out around noon, going back to resort cause of heat, crowds, etc.
We are definitely going to tackle Hollywood Studies and Galaxies Edge at least a little bit
We are Disney Diehards and plan to go to Disney often, this is not our only family trip.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Baby wear, baby swap (4 year old gets double some rides), stroller and have fun!

Took DD1 at 10 months to WDW
Just got back from Europe including DLP with DD1 and 2 and DD2 was 10 months.

Honestly her reactions to some things are the best memories.

PLUS I would worry about the 4 year old more then 10 months old at MNSSHP, 10 month old sleeps baby wear whatever, my kid at 4 meltdown city! Which is why in August we are skipping the party.

Last edited:
Seven nights apart is kind of a long time for everyone involved. Would parents/brothers be ok with that much separation? If the answer is yes, I'd leave the 10 month old at home. Mom & Dad will have their hands full with just the 4 yr. old, your touring plans will need to account for that accordingly.

But you'd have fun with the whole crew too, just forget about late nights and (maybe) early mornings. You likely know that Sept at WDW is still very much summer weather, and it'll be slammed with crowds due to SWGE.

That would be too long for me to be away from my baby so I'd bring them. If it were a shorter trip I might consider leaving the baby behind. As others have said, you'll probably have your hands full with the 4 year old more than the baby. The baby will sleep and hang in the stroller, you can baby wear etc. Since you visit Disney often, you can alter your touring plans as needed as you know you'll be back. I would bring the baby and enjoy the family vacation all together as a family!

I voted no.

I am not ready to agree that the 10 mo will have appreciated the trip. Reaction to rides, characters, scenery, probably not leaving memories in his/her. Reaction to things as generic sounds and colors, maybe that was meaningful to him/her.

I voted no.

I am not ready to agree that the 10 mo appreciated the trip. Reaction to things as generic sounds and colors, maybe that was meaningful to him/her.

You will be taking your park guest hat off much of the time or even most of the time in order to wear the parent hat.

Better to do a childless trip to enjoy yourself and, when the kid is perhaps 3, do a family trip.
While it’s fine to vote no, just because a child doesn’t appreciate something at 10 months doesn’t mean they should always be left behind.

It is fine to take a trip without kids, but i disagree with the reasoning of because they won’t appreciate the trip. My 10 month old also doesn’t appreciate a trip to the zoo or me reading her books but I do those things too.

We have taken DD1 five times now, is it easy, NO! Fun, YES...but different. Will the four year old have as much fun with baby along, probably not. So is this a trip centered around the 4 year old? Or a family trip? If it is the former I may leave baby at home, but no way could I personally leave my infant for a full week....maybe shorten the trip? If the later, bring baby and roll with it. We go back in July and again in November.....there is not a chance in all the world I'm attempting SWGE with the baby in tow. DS10 really wants to go, too bad....we will try again when it hopefully it is less congested in possibly late January. SWGE is going to be insane....no way would I bring a baby in that madness....you could always hire an in room sitter that day for baby and the 3 of you attempt SWGE. Have a great trip!

Just my opinion but I wouldn't take a ten month old to Disney World. Too many variables and too much hassle for me.

We have five kids and have taken a baby under a year old on more trips than not. We love taking babies to Disney!

Is SWGE the only thing making you rethink taking a ten month old? I would not let that deter me, personally. We are going to be there opening week with three of our kids, including a two year old on his 4th trip. Even if he was younger I’d still go. We rope drop, take afternoon breaks, and tend to play evenings by ear so no one gets disappointed if the youngest has just had enough. If it gets crazy at all four parks (I’m doubtful this will actually be the case) we’ll be content doing things at our resort.

We are taking our 10month old in September also, we are from Australia and it's a long flight. We did this trip when our eldest DD was 19 months and she had a ball, a 10 month old is a little different.
It will be hard to "wear" the baby in September it is just so darn hot but will be doable sometimes.

We have Kids night out booked for our MNSSHP night as it is just too late to keep the baby out, we've never used KNO before but I am confident we are making the right choice there. We are also thinking of leaving both the 10month old and the 3.5 year old with KNO so we can brave SWGE one morning. I don't want either of my kids to have to go thru the mess that will be.

Go, have a blast, just don't plan too much. Your baby will dictate the direction of the vacation - and that's ok!

We took our son at 10 mo . and our oldest two were six. Do ride swap so your oldest gets double the big rides . You also can go back to the room while one of you is putting the little guy down cool the four year old in the pool and a nice nap . Lets face it Disney days are long and naps make the workd of diffrence for them and you . plan fast passes around the baby best times of day . Bring a baby back pack and stroller I would do a sit and stand or a double . Be aware that if this os your normal time to go you will more than likely not acoplish everything this trip with or with out the 10 Mo . Some of my favorite Disney photos are of my 10 mo meetin the caracters .

We took our twin sons at a little over a year. Do they remember it? No. Do we remember it? Yes. Did it cost anything to take them? No. We had a wonderful time with our two little guys and they love looking back at the pictures of that trip. and comparing them to the pictures of the other Disney trips they have taken. You're their parents, so your choice, but I certainly don't regret taking them for one second. In a lot of ways, it was the best trip we ever had at Disney.

Go for it! - I wouldn't have been able to leave mine for a week at that age. It's not the height of flu season or anything, and he's free!

I wouldn’t want to leave the baby at home but I also wouldn’t take a baby into the SWGE madness. I would either do what PP said and get a babysitter for that day or if you go frequently as you said skip Star Wars and squeeze a long weekend in just mom and dad for SW later.

Test it out go to the zoo or somewhere else. The 10 month old is free on flights and can always be removed. So plan on it and then remove them if you decide against it.

You might be suprised. Also look at your list of rides and height requirements if you will go. Most rides your 4 year old will do the baby can do as well.

We went when my DS was 9 months old and DD was 5. He was he best behaved the whole trip, including me and DH :) A baby carrier was hot, but a must. It ensured naps and saved our arms. He also slept in the stroller. Honestly, he loved the sights and sounds and rides he could ride. DD loved rider swap - bonus rides!

Yes, traveling with babies has its challenges. No, he doesn't remember. But he can certainly feel the love and happiness that comes from quality family time together, and that is what's important!

Take him!!! He will not remember the trip but you will. We have never taken a trip for our kids. We travel with our kids because they are with us for such a short time that I want as many memories as possible, I'm a selfish mom. Have a great time regardless of your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter