• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we go now or postpone? Immunocompromised Child

Since he will be finished treatment and in a healthier state in December, this is a no brainer. My kid's long term health would always be the priority, so I would delay the trip. 100 times out of 100.

This might be a different call if your child would never get better or always be immunocompromised. But taking him while he's in chemo, when waiting less than a year means he'd get a safe trip where he feels good vs a probable disaster trip now when he doesn't (chemo is HARD on the body, and folks are not up for anything more than what they normally do when they are undergoing it), why?

So, you may not like to hear it, but you have an amazing spouse who is absolutely dead right about the delay decision.

So sorry you're dealing with cancer for your child - that is just so difficult I can imagine and I wish him a speedy recovery and the best for your family.

I can't speak to traveling immunocompromised but I did get back from a mid-January Disney trip and caught covid there - I'm fully vaxxed and had never gotten before. Was careful and all that. Boy this flu and cold and covid season has just walloped me and I'm not immunocompromised.

I agree with others that the time of year you're going could be very busy. Early December can be wonderful with the weather, decorations, special Christmas stuff (if you celebrate). It's a #1 time to go if you can change your plans. I don't know if calling Disney would get them to help you switch the ticket or reservations or whatever due to the cancer diagnosis. You'd think they'd help! I prefer early December over anything that might be near Easter/Spring break time.

I also will throw out there that is there any chance you can go (just you) for the March/April trip for maybe a weekend and spend some time with your family? I think it's your happy place and you could use that recharge. Maybe find someone to help DH with the childcare. I was a caregiver for my mom when she had cancer and you really have to plan some time for you.

OP, I'm so sorry you and your family are in this boat. Glad to hear your little guy has a good prognosis.

My advice, as hard as it is, would be to postpone until Dec. Just from personal experience, even though we didn't travel during March--we went in July, and no one in our party was immunocompromised, we ALL caught COVID at WDW. Some missed all of our Uni. park days, our one DS missed half of our 10-day WDW park days. We all wore masks, vaxed/boosted--the whole thing and still caught it. It unfortunately happens and no one plans to catch COVID at WDW. It was the worst vacation ever, lost money on tickets, my mom's health suffered (and she nearly missed a cruise she had planned for when we got back). Don't risk your little one's health. There will be other trips. ❤︎

It seems like you have made the decision to postpone the trip but I wanted to jump in here with my thoughts as a cancer survivor.

Depending on the chemo regime your little one is on, they may not feel up to going anywhere while in the middle of chemo. I know I felt okayish after the first one and each one got harder to deal with until my last one when I was pretty much not able to do anything for days afterwards. I also tended to catch just about every cold that was around for quite a while. It took me over a year to get back to a normal level of immunity where I no longer worried about being around someone with a cough or cold!

I hope your little one has a complete recovery and that chemo does what it is supposed to do!

I would absolutely not go. It is not worth the risk. My family got COVID the last time we were at Disney, as have so many families I’ve known who’ve gone there recently. Frankly, I’m not sure how anyone who has immune issues would not get sick there. One of the things I didn’t realize until I went is how many people still go to Disney when they are sick. Between lines, shows, and buses, you will be exposed to hundreds or thousands of people, many of whom have COVID, the flu, etc but are still going to the parks because they don’t want to miss their vacation.

I know it’s disappointing, but I would never forgive myself if something happened to my child because I didn’t want to wait longer for a vacation.

OP I am sorry you and your family are going through this.

As a cancer survivor I would suggest you postpone. For people who haven’t been through it, it is hard to explain but the chemo builds in your body and everyone is different so I can’t say what dose that will be for your son but the last thing this Disney lover wanted to do was go to Disney. Heck the thought of walking through the grocery store was overwhelming. You’re exhausted mentally and physically,

I am a librarian and was pulled from work immediately because of concerns about germs so I can’t imagine my oncologist approving Disney but all types of cancer are different.

We recently returned from 19 days at WDW and no one got sick. But, and this is a big but, it required our entire group to be on the same page regarding vaccines, masks, no indoor dining, etc. We had grandkids ages 4 & 11 who were real troupers and wore masks all the time. My DH is a transplant recipient and has no immune system, so everyone was on board with keeping him safe. If you don’t think your entire group can keep your son safe, then I’d postpone.

I think you got lots of great perspectives! We have an immunocompromised daughter and and we felt it is was just too much of a risk. Also our daughter isn’t at her best at the moment and in addition to the general health risk it would really suck for her to have a “sick” trip when we know a few months will make a big difference in how she feels. I feel for you as the disappointment is real.

Everything worked out well. They couldn't change/remove my name on the DVC reservation, but my sister and brothers shouldn't have trouble using it.
Moving the tickets around wasn't a big problem either.
Southwest refunded my dad almost $4000, and I still have $2100 in nonrefundable credit to use, which should cover the full cost of travel for all of us in the "off" season. We won't know for a few more months though.

We picked a week in December (military tickets are blacked out over Thanksgiving and it's probably too warm for DH earlier in the year) and told the older kids that we can do Universal too (they're BIG HP fans) so I'm trying to figure out where we want to start.
DH prefers the option of staying at the Beach/Yacht Club in 2 rooms rather than a 2 BR villa, because then we'll get 6 beds, instead of 5, even if . We don't really cook on vacation. (ETA: Also, we don't want to risk the inflexible cancellation again.)
We'll probably do Royal Pacific at Universal for the proximity.

Last edited:
Everything worked out well. They couldn't change/remove my name on the DVC reservation, but my sister and brothers shouldn't have trouble using it.
Moving the tickets around wasn't a big problem either.
Southwest refunded my dad almost $4000, and I still have $2100 in nonrefundable credit to use, which should cover the full cost of travel for all of us in the "off" season. We won't know for a few more months though.

We picked a week in December (military tickets are blacked out over Thanksgiving and it's probably too warm for DH earlier in the year) and told the older kids that we can do Universal too (they're BIG HP fans) so I'm trying to figure out where we want to start.
DH prefers the option of staying at the Beach/Yacht Club in 2 rooms rather than a 2 BR villa, because then we'll get 6 beds, instead of 5, even if . We don't really cook on vacation.
We'll probably do Royal Pacific at Universal for the proximity.
So happy to hear everything worked out for you. And sending lots of love to you, your son, and your family.

I want to say one thing. You specifically mentioned how all the burdon of lugging crap from room to room fell on you and that it was miserable, yet DH is the one pushing to do that again because he thinks it's better? Of course it is, it's better for HIM. You need to stand up for YOU as well.

It seems like you had to make a ton of accommodation because of DH's needs and limits, which is fair (in my family I'm the one with the needs and limits) but this one thing with the bedrooms is merely a thing he wants, it's not a need or a necessity. And in his wanting it he may not have considered how it's going to make things significantly worse for YOU.

Please don't forget that. I know how it is to want to make your loved ones happy, but this vacation is also for you and you're more than a glorified sherpa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter