Should we get PCR test before cruise if vaccinated?

CruisingDad

Earning My Ears
We're booked on the 3/14 Magic cruise out of Miami. My family of four is vaccinated and have gotten the booster. Everyone is healthy but I still worry about an unpleasant surprise when we get tested at the port. Do you recommend getting a PCR test a couple of days before our flight to Miami? Thanks!

Are you flying? The only thing worse than missing a cruise because of a positive is finding out at the port. At that point you're out travel expenses too. All while within eye shot of the cruise you are about to miss!

I say test anyways.

We tested at 20 days, but otherwise, we'll wait until we're at the port. You could test before leaving home to know where you stand. Not a bad idea, just an expensive one. If positive, you stay home. But if negative, you could still be positive at the port, so just be prepared.

Is it still required where you test at home? Did that recently change? Sorry I thought I read that somewhere.

If not, is the only testing required at port?

Is it still required where you test at home? Did that recently change? Sorry I thought I read that somewhere.

Only at the port. My point was if you decide to take a test a day or two before heading to the port and you test positive then there is no need to show up at the port

Only at the port. My point was if you decide to take a test a day or two before heading to the port and you test positive then there is no need to show up at the port

Great! I agree! Definitely going to test before leaving!

Vaccinated passengers are only required to test at embarkation. Non-vaccinated (young ones) test 24 hours to 3 days prior, and again at embarkation.

Great! I agree! Definitely going to test before leaving!

We all (DH, DD, and myself) got PCR tests 3-5 days before flying down to Florida. Then we did a rapid antigen the night before we headed to the port. I wanted to try to avoid a disaster at the port - as much as possible. My approach was: if we test positive week before, we don’t fly down and cancel; if we test positive morning of after being in Florida, we don’t go to the port. If we *had* tested positive on the rapids we would have canceled the cruise, gotten confirmatory PCRs, and either a) driven home (if tests were truly positive) or b) stay at WDW or a beach vacation (if false positive)

We PCR tested two weeks before so that in case we got a positive from an unknown case of COVID we'd have time to get a recovery letter. We then tested again the day before to ensure we were negative. before we got on the plane and also so that there wouldn't be any nasty surprises at port.

We're booked on the 3/14 Magic cruise out of Miami. My family of four is vaccinated and have gotten the booster. Everyone is healthy but I still worry about an unpleasant surprise when we get tested at the port. Do you recommend getting a PCR test a couple of days before our flight to Miami? Thanks!
I PCR tested 12 days before the cruise (and a few times in the months prior) to see if I were ever positive, so that I could get a recovery letter if needed.

Now that the cruise is only days away, I am getting PCR tested today just to know my current status, as I have to travel to get to Florida. I do recommend that for everyone who is concerned about it. Covid is often asymptomatic, especially in kids.

When I get PCR tested at CVS it costs me nothing.

I was testing a few times before our January Magic cruise as my husband was positive over the holidays but I never got it. I had a PCR and then a few rapids. I was nervous at the port because you just never know!!

For my April Magic cruise I am not quite as worried as I was in January but I think I will take a PCR about 2 weeks before cruise and then a rapid a few days before flying down to Florida.

MJ

We are getting tested 3 weeks before sailing. This helps for the recovery time frame rule. and most likely we will do PCR for our flight into Canada IF this also coves our port test. Still waiting if DCL will change their testiing policy for Canada

IMO I say yes! My BF and were supposed to sail in Jan and literally the week we were supposed to go my son ( not sailing) came up postive 👎🏼… the whole household ended up testing with negative results and he started his quarantine… skip forward to 4 days before we were supposed to leave BF say as I am picking him up from work that his throat feels a little scratchy… of course I jump to the worst conclusion and think Covid and home we go to test… sure enough he is now coming up positive… needless to say we leave in 2 1/2 weeks for that rescheduled cruise BUT for all my cruises I test the days leading into cruising because as you said I don’t want that port surprise… now god forbid I do come up positive I am in a better situation because I leave right outside WDW so it’s an hour drive home but I think if that makes you comfortable to test then do it as many times as you want if that takes some stress off the unknown… FYI my BF the whole time ge was positive said he would’ve never known because he had almost no symptoms and felt fine the whole time… whatever you do I hope you have an amazing time in your cruise!!

Yes. If you do test positive at home you can easily change your cruise. That’s what happened to us. We ended up going a few weeks after our original date and avoided driving all the way to Florida for nothing. We still tested a couple days before the second date at Walgreens, and this time we were all negative. In our case my 3 year old grandson had to test anyway, but I would recommend it for anyone.

I'd say yeah, especially if you can find free tests (I get mine done at Walgreens for free). I've been getting tested about every week lately, leading up to our March 28 cruise. I'm also bringing some of the at home antigen tests so I can test the day before and even morning of (we are doing one day at Epcot before and driving to the port on embarkation day). Though not of that can guarantee I won't test positive at the port, I want to do as much as possible to ease my mind about it all!

Oh and FWIW I have never been one getting lots of covid tests or worried about getting it. I just want to be 10000% certainly nothing messes with my cruise lol.

We are scheduled for our PCR tests today for our March cruise. Plan to do at home tests before we fly and again before driving to the port that morning. We will see if I add another PCR test in between. DH is starting to think I am crazy.

While you can't get the exemption, you can save yourself the hassle of going to the port and having to figure it out from there. We tested 3 days before so we didn't have this issue. Completely for peace of mind though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter